how to avoid background hiss

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

a question for mixing/mastering masters:

how can i avoid getting a background hiss when i create ambient-ish pieces with many layers? i'm very careful to record each layer with the proper levels. but when i put them altogether, the hiss often emerges. this is especially true for pieces that use long legato subtle lines with lots of distortion and/or noise. i don't mind the noise, but i do mind the hiss that accumulates. converting to mp3 makes it worse.

should i *not* master/compress? (this tends to make the hiss louder, along with everything else.) should i use noise reduction? (my problem with this is that it seems to reduce the edge, which i want to keep.)

or should i make the hiss into a "feature" ... a kind of noisy crackle layer.

thanks,

rachMiel

For a start, try reducing the frequencies that makes the hiss sound. I suggest you to use a parametric EQ, and star cutting off some hi-mids frequencies..Unfortunately, there is no other way to reduce the hiss, if you don't "cut" the edges...
Do we really need guitarists, drummers, bass players,etc??No..we only need a PC/MaC and a lots of VSTs :)

Return to “Production Techniques”