Graphic Equalisation tutorials/tips

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, i just picked up a 12 channel Technics graphic equalizer for my setup. ANy good sites for tutorials or tips anyone?

Thanks

Tip 1: use your ears!
Tip 2: fiddle gently with one of the 12 faders, while listening very carefully. Adjust to taste...
Tip 3: use your ears!
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

try to use it as little as possible. a proper recording will go so much farther then EQ

This is more of a "learning" trick than a "make it sound good right now" trick, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all to load up whatever track you're wanting to EQ, set it to loop, then take every frequency on the unit down completely... then bring them up one at a time, listen to what it sounds like as you bring it up, down, etc... bottom it out, then do it to another band.

It's really useful not only to see what frequencies may need to be emphasized a bit more, and what frequencies are 'missing,' etc from a full mix, but it's much MORE useful as a tool to help understand the capabilities of EQ, and to learn how different sounds are shaped. Of course, this is more fun, (and more drastic) with a parametric, but it's still a good way to learn a lot of things.. both about EQ, and about the recording/arranging/mixing processes (that is, with a better idea of how all the frequencies interact with each other in certain instrument sounds, etc... it becomes easier to arrange full and clear sounding tracks, mix them well, etc.)

As for specific links to tutorials and tips, I've seen some things on the 'net that were lists of what frequencies 'do what' on certain instruments... things like "Kick Drum = Attack at ~3Khz, Beefiness = ~80hz" but I don't know exactly where, and while they're useful as a reference, this obviously differs based on the specific instrument, and recording methods, so it's not always something you can follow like the gospel. If I hunt one of them down I'll throw it up here.

Return to “Production Techniques”