a couple newbie mastering questions

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

2 questions here - first off, say you have a recording on an audio file you want to master. if you import it into cubase or wavelab, it will obviously come out with everything on one track. how do you seperate the guitar, bass, and drums on to seperate tracks for mastering? or is this even possible?

second, is there such thing as a software ad/da converter? maybe i dont understand the concept right, but from reading about them, it seems possible. and if there are, what ones do you reccomend.

thanks.

No on both accounts.

Mastering is a process applied to an entire stereo mix, ie. a sound file (or analogue tape) containing a single stereo track with all the parts in the piece of music already mixed together. It's not that you can't split a track into different frequency layers, samplers and sound designers do this all the time - but it's not for mastering purposes.

A software AD/DA isn't possible - any device that outputs an analogue signal is by definition a piece of hardware.
Last edited by krank on Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

if you want to create separate tracks, it's not mastering what you're talking about :).

If the audio file is currently 1 single track containing all the instruments, you won't be able to split it into multiple tracks.

Usually the thing you want to do with those tracks is mixing, making sure that the volume levels are correct and balanced, using e.g. compression, making sure the frequencies of the different instruments don't clash, using EQ, etc. using effects like delay and reverb to fatten the sound and positioning the instruments... I'm not sure if this is what you intended when you used the word Mastering.

Haydn15 wrote:2 questions here - first off, say you have a recording on an audio file you want to master. if you import it into cubase or wavelab, it will obviously come out with everything on one track. how do you seperate the guitar, bass, and drums on to seperate tracks for mastering? or is this even possible?

second, is there such thing as a software ad/da converter? maybe i dont understand the concept right, but from reading about them, it seems possible. and if there are, what ones do you reccomend.

thanks.
give it 50-100 years or less and I'm sure it will be possible to do the impossible you're asking :)

the wonders of technology eh!

thanks for the answers.

just out of curiousity, how do people advertise for mixing services then if you cant split the different instruments of a track up?

and to krank - what kind of programs split the frequency layers of tracks like you mentioned?

Haydn5, I think you don't understand. Basially you can divide the process a making a record in 3 main steps:
1) tracking: it's when each instrument is recorded on its own track (each instrument is then recorded in 1 individual track/file)
2) mixing: this is when you have all the instruments and put them together in a multitrack sequencer like Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools, etc. You adjust many parameters for each track (EQ, effetcs, compression, pan, etc...) and finish by mixing them down in 1 stereo file
3) mastering: using the mixed down stereo file (contains all the instrument), you make the final adjustments of EQ, compression, loundness adjustment... it's mostly polishing the sound at this step.

When people mix something it's just that: mixing more than 1 tracks together. There's nothing to split, your already working with multiple tracks...unless I'm totally misunderstanding you.

Beat me to it Sebby, and better put too.

M'Snah wrote:if you want to create separate tracks, it's not mastering what you're talking about :).

If the audio file is currently 1 single track containing all the instruments, you won't be able to split it into multiple tracks.
but you can seperate different frequency ranges and compress/expand/eq/etc those ranges and effectively treat bass, kick, vox, hat, etc to a certain extent...that is a major part of mastering as i understand it, fixing problems and creating a better overall balance, punchiness, blah blah...
KVR: come for the music, stay for the polemics and grammar lessons...

Haydn15 wrote:just out of curiousity, how do people advertise for mixing services then if you cant split the different instruments of a track up?
I think they take your stereo track, and mix it with stuff they add themselves. That's DJ remixing...

Return to “Production Techniques”