Production phases

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm finding that doing everything at once doesn't work for me, so was thinking about dividing up into phases.

Do you divide your work up into something like:

Create custom sounds and FX
Choose samples and patches to use
Clean up samples
Patch in effects
Sequence loops
Arrange
Mix

I assume it's iterative to a large degree for most folks (e.g. go back to finding samples and sequencing because the arrangement calls for something) or concurrent (e.g. get each sequence part mixed before moving on to the next), but I'd be interested to see other takes on work process like this.

i like listening to what i make and i like to... like it.

i usually find the bass and a melody and start making the song from the intro to the outro doing things on the fly.

thats just me but choosing sounds and patches before making the tune isnt a good idea imo.

I think its good to mix up your approach to music as much as possible. I like the approach you posted because it really drives one toward finishing the creative cycle. You could set hard deadlines for each step, and then ensure that something gets produced.

---------------
It seems like you are reluctant to work on music like it was a clay sculpture.

The sculpture begins with a block of clay, and then slowly different parts begin to take shapes. Sometimes more clay is added, sometimes more clay is removed. Eventually the concept comes out, and it grows stronger and stronger. The changes become less about the structure and more about the detail. Finally, the work reaches a point where it needs to be sent off the kilm to be fired. Those changes are set, but surface level painting can still be applied.
http://www.rz-1.com Mobile Music Software

New Conventions of Behavior http://www.ncob.net
Experimental Audio + Free Sample Library

I just start up my sequencer and start playing around. Sometimes that leads to a track, sometimes a loop, sometimes it leads to a new synth patch, maybe a new trick with an effect, sometimes it leads to a couple hours where i'm just not bored.

same for me g_worroll

1. Mess around with samples/synths in a futile attempt to get good sound

2. Get hopelessly sidetracked

3. Repeat

Return to “Production Techniques”