Voice effect on Phil Collins In the Air Tonight

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know how to achieve the Voice effect on Phil Collins In the Air Tonight at 3:04. Sounds like they squelched the voice with another effect you can here come in 2 seconds before he says "I remember". Thanks

It is a vocoder.

I thought that's what it might be. I tried using Akai vst bundle wich isn't the best with the vocoder but didn't get it to sound to non robot like. But since I know now what was used I'll try to mix in the vocoder just slightly.

the problem with vocoders are the sound used to modulate the voice... best for most voices are long string pads with alot of high freqs... put an eq before the pad hits the vocoder, it makes it alot easier... the waves vocoder is the one I found best so far http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=118

lX

The Akai DC Vocoder is one of the better units out there. Lex is right, you have to consider both the carrier (synth sound you want to use as the basis of the sound) and the modulator (what will be used to shape the carrier; here, voice). String pad is a good start for a carrier. I find adding a bit of white noise to the carrier signal helps clean up sibilants and plosives.

Then again, is that a vocoder in the Phil Collins piece? Just from memory, I'm wondering whether it might just be heavy filtering... bandpass maybe, or formant? Could be I'm thinking of a different part of the song.

It is a vocoder. I was a bit unsure myself so i googled it. That is what the man himself claims.

'K. :-)

Yip, Vocoder. I saw Peter Robinson doing that bit live from a video way back when ('Live at Perkins Place'?).

DSP

Maybe Collins uses a vocoder to recreate the effect in concert and stuff, but on the original recording I'm pretty sure it was done in a different, and very unique, way. See this very interesting article: http://bg.mixonline.com/ar/audio_phil_c ... /index.htm

edit: whoops! I was thinking of the drum part! Sorry, vocoder must be right for the vocals. Still a very interesting article though!

Return to “Production Techniques”