Live performance vst host options

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I've been using Tracktion as a VST host for live performances. But I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for the best live performce VST (PC) host. I've been using Imposcar, Absynth and Reaktor primarily, but since I'm not recording but rather streaming vst produced audio, what what be a better soultion? I'm using a pc laptop and getting away with it most of the time....

It depends. If you are talking about "live performance as DJ", like most people do, I have no idea. But we have been using ORION for many years now and it has never let us down. The latest version has been hugely optimised for SSE2 and I can run 8 or 9 instruments at once with less than 10% CPU usage on my Athlon64 3200+ workstation.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I would say EnergyXT.

Its totally modular, with great routing and CC options, and can be used inside tracktion as a VST(i).

you can do keyboard splits, so can play more than one synth at once, and trigger entire midi patterns from one key. Its astonishingly versitile. It even has a live mode where you can pretty much assign a trigger to anything!

I dont really know much about Ableton Live 5, but that is designed for live work - but is about x10 the price of eXT
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

Both interesting comments. To clarify, I'm playing live with two keyboards (one is an edirol pcr 30) with a dj rhythm section and live guitars, vocals. So my laptop is my sound source but triggered from real time playing and knob tweaking.

you should really check out the demos of all three. Cant vouch for Orion, but people seem to like it a lot, and i remember my cut down version of Live being great fun
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

Live 5 is excellent (and quite easy to use), but very expensive

I was really jumpin' on the live 5 bandwagon, but recently I have been running into two problems that I cannot fix/and cannot get help on.......so........

Protools mpowered is now my only real sequencer again, with tracktion and energyxt as backups (mostly for midi)

eyeknow666 wrote:I was really jumpin' on the live 5 bandwagon, but recently I have been running into two problems that I cannot fix/and cannot get help on.......so........
what problems? i've recently had to solve a couple myself in Live 5... ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”