What could cause a vst plugin not to work under Linux ?!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

sorry for bad english ...

does anyone know about specific changes that have to be done to the examples from the sdk to make a vst plugin ( effect ) working under linux ( jack !! ) ?!

I tried my example - basically taken from ADelayEditGUI sdk example with no success. Also the original DelayEditGUI nor the Again ( which has no GUI ) showed up by double clicking in Studio To Go. ( Loaded standalone by jack linux audio server iirc )
All are working in Cubase btw ...
I tried some other plugins ( albino, kjaerhus classic effects ) which are ok ...

I've tried to change the name of the dll export function to PluginInstance to avoid the the compiler / linker ? ) warning about returning wrong type, but it didn't help. ( This has been discussed here lately - in an other context ?! )

Unfortunately I have no more ideas where to start from

I use VC++ 2003.

Can anyone help, please ?!
Thomas

EagleEye wrote:I use VC++ 2003.
I don't know anything at all about linux and vst, but I would assume that linux wants .so format dynamic libraries, and I would assume that VC doesn't know how to make those. I think you're going to want to build with gcc.
Don't do it my way.

Thanks Borogrove,
I don't know anything at all about linux and vst, but I would assume that linux wants .so format dynamic libraries, and I would assume that VC doesn't know how to make those. I think you're going to want to build with gcc.
No, it should work with windows dlls. I sucessfully tested albino2 and some of Torben Classic effects. I'm sure they build with VC++ ...

Thanks anyway !!

Thomas

Are you building the dll under Linux? Have you tried to run your generated plugin on a host program under Windows?
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

Thanks Hermann,

No, i'm building my plugin under windows with VC++ 2003 and it works well with Cubase.

I wonder if the VSTGUI could cause a problem ...

Any ideas ?!

Thomas

What do you use on Linux that allows you to run Win32 plugins there?

I am installing Linux now and will be happy to try it if you tell me what setup you use and what host

What do you use on Linux that allows you to run Win32 plugins there?
I'm using Studio ToGo from Fervent Music. It's a bootable CD ( Debian I guess ) from the developers of Rosegarden. Right now I don't know what I'm actually doing :

It is jack a linux audio server which loads vst dlls via dssi-vst wrapper, but I could be wrong. There are also other possibilities ( something called fst ) but I don't know exactly yet ...

Once Jack has recognized a vst plugin it should also show up in Rosegarden.

If you want know to know more visit
www.rosegardenmusic.com

Regards,
Thomas

I don't know when I will have time to try since the linux is at work, will see...

Anyway I found this useful page about VST in linux:

http://djcj.org/LAU/ladspavst/

Anyway I found this useful page about VST in linux:
Thanks ! I already saw this page.
After taking a closer look I saw that CMT Bitcrusher an ZR-3 are the only plugins that work and come with source code.

Maybe I should try to run/compile them to learn more ...

Thanks !

Ok, I solved the problem :

The example DelayEditGUI from the VST SDK compiled with VC++ 6.0 works ok ( at least it shows up when loaded by jack ) but it doesn't work ( under Linux !! ) when compiled with VC++ 2003 ...

I don't know what the problem is ( yet ) ...

Thomas

EagleEye wrote:Ok, I solved the problem :

The example DelayEditGUI from the VST SDK compiled with VC++ 6.0 works ok ( at least it shows up when loaded by jack ) but it doesn't work ( under Linux !! ) when compiled with VC++ 2003 ...

I don't know what the problem is ( yet ) ...

Thomas
Look at the VC++ .Net compiling options. Probably you have some dependencies from external runtimes (in form of DLLs), which aren't with VC++ 6.

That's a common thing for many problems with the .Net compilers from Microsoft. The executables require often some special runtime dlls. If not installed, the programs (and dlls) fail to load.

You should staticly link all the dependencies (as far as possible) to prevent those problems.

EagleEye wrote:Thanks Borogrove,
No, it should work with windows dlls. I sucessfully tested albino2 and some of Torben Classic effects. I'm sure they build with VC++ ...

Thanks anyway !!

Thomas
No the Classic plugins are obviously developed with Borland compilers.

Thank you !

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”