fft

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone recommend to me an fft package to use for developing plugins? Or do most people just write their own?
Thanks.

We write are own!!!

just kidding, have you tried smartelectronix.....(I was just looking at one the other day, I think it was them, but I can't remember who made it, I'll remember in a while).
The armchair is more than the sum of the bastards

I like Laurent de Soras' FFTReal package for its licensing terms.

If you absolutely want the fastest available FFT, and don't care what you have to go through to get it, Fastest Fourier Transform in the West is the way to go. Unfortunately, the free-of-charge version is GPL, which among other problems isn't compatible with VST licensing.
Last edited by Borogove on Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't do it my way.

Of course, if you really want to for one reason or another, you can pay for a non-GPL license to use FFTW. But I second the recommendation of Laurent de Soras' code.

Fuzzpilz wrote:Of course, if you really want to for one reason or another, you can pay for a non-GPL license to use FFTW. But I second the recommendation of Laurent de Soras' code.
Whoops, forgot about that. :) Will edit.
Don't do it my way.

Borogove wrote:I like Laurent de Soras' FFTReal package for its licensing terms.

If you absolutely want the fastest available FFT, and don't care what you have to go through to get it, Fastest Fourier Transform in the West is the way to go. Unfortunately, the free-of-charge version is GPL, which among other problems isn't compatible with VST licensing.
VST is now compatible with GPL I think.
Paul Davis did a lot of lobbying for that on the ML.

BTW I think I am the smartelectronix fft fan you're talking about (though I'm not the only one to use fft at smex) and I'm using Laurent DeSoras FFT all the time.

If only there were a free vecorized FFT for PC like the altivec one they have on mac in vDSP.h

Did anyone had success using AMD's core math library?

IIRC you need to compile it with gcc g77 and then you have to guess how to make a binary library compatible with visual studio's compiler.

mdsp wrote: Did anyone had success using AMD's core math library?

IIRC you need to compile it with gcc g77 and then you have to guess how to make a binary library compatible with visual studio's compiler.
Hmmm.
ACML - AMD Core Math Library for 32-bit Windows(TM)
- Release Notes - version 2.5.0

(o) ACML now comes in a 32-bit DLL version designed for use under Microsoft
Windows with Visual Fortran/Microsoft C, and therefore with other compilers
which are compatible with those.
I haven't used it though.

cheers,
Bart

Ok maybe things have changed now

I'll have a look.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”