teaching music composition to an 11-year old student

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings !

Last year I started teaching a young student working on classical guitar. He's a very gifted player, very diligent, but I was surprised when his mother asked about music theory/music composition lessons. I've taught guitar to many students his age (11) and younger, but never theory/composition.

Thus far we've been working on simple exercises on notation skills, ear training, elementary harmony, analysis, etc. Unfortunately (?), all the material I have at hand is at least college-level reading. So I wondered if any KVR members can recommend relevant material for an intelligent 11-year old. Anything including a workbook is especially welcome, btw.

Otherwise, in lieu of any better recommendations I plan to just proceed with a course based on Piston, Kennan, and possibly Schoenberg. I'm also introducing him to the basics of using a DAW (Bitwig) and other music software for music study and composition. In case you're wondering, he's home-schooled, he does have the time for all this work.

TL;DR: I welcome any advice/recommendations on teaching music theory/composition to youngsters. TIA!

Best regards,

dp

Well, people can be radically different individuals, so while his mother has a notion of a future, I would say interrogate his own idea of what he wants.

my mother, aspirational, had a definite idea of me as a classical guitarist and taking it seriousl, but I didn't commit for a few years and the teacher kind of just fired me. I got nothing except I don't think of this as a one size fits all thing at all. But what do I know.

Return to “Music Theory”