Learning scales/chords online? music school?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

that's like building the alphabet from words rather than words from the alphabet.

Maybe so, but I'm a harmony guy.

vurt wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:04 pm arent chords formed from scales rather than scales from chords?

Everybody wants to be a smart arse here, and for that reason, I can't tolerate medieval old farts any longer.

We all know that the tonic of C Major is a C Major chord. So if I happened to feel like my C Major sounded like my tonic, I would be in the key of C Major. But as I say, everybody wants to be a smart arse and act like they don't understand what I'm saying. You know what you are if you argue with idiots.....................

vurt wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:04 pm arent chords formed from scales rather than scales from chords?
Yes. Unequivocally.

Let's take diatonic 7-note scales. If we do the usual, build a triad of thirds in a key, the key has seven chords.
Take any chord out of context and it has no identity. What scale do you arrive at from C major chord per se?
It's V in the key of F: our scale is C major in the key of F?
It's IV in the key of G: our scale is C major in the key of G?

It's unworkable, 0%, bzzzzt, wrong.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stamped Records wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Everybody wants to be a smart arse here, and for that reason, I can't tolerate medieval old farts any longer.

We all know that the tonic of C Major is a C Major chord. So if I happened to feel like my C Major sounded like my tonic, I would be in the key of C Major. But as I say, everybody wants to be a smart arse and act like they don't understand what I'm saying. You know what you are if you argue with idiots.....................
you definitely remind me of one of my old teachers.
he got aggressive when i pointed out his mistakes too.

No one is being a smart ass, they are just pointing out your errors - that’s to help you as much as anyone else.

It’s not that people don’t understand what you’re saying, you’re just not correct in some of the things you say.

Have you stopped to ask yourself why people are saying these things to you? It’s because you seemingly don’t understand theory very well, and people are trying to correct you.

"We all know that the tonic of C Major is a C Major chord. So if I happened to feel like my C Major sounded like my tonic, I would be in the key of C Major."

That wasn't your statement.
Take a really simple example; You start a song with a G, then you move to a C chord and at this moment in time our ears are telling us that C is our tonic.
By the mere appearance of it? So, suddenly every new harmony is a new key/new tonic? In that case there are no other chords in a key but I or i.
Chances are pretty good it's IV of G. :lol:
Unless you modulated. You'll have to work for that, it doesn't appear by magic.
if we play a D after the C, followed by G, the music tells us we are in the key of G.
It might tell you...
but you won't be able to know the right answer because you're so grand, yeah?

No, I could run an ostinato C D G til the cows come home and if the tonality C is established, known, it is still that thing.
This is simply insufficient to create the new tonality in itself. If key actually is C major, it's merely 1 2 and 5 of that in and of itself. If we call it an arpeggio, it's a C2 (people like 'sus2': 2nd replaces 3rd), still I.
This is a very basic misconception. You have many.

vurt wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:06 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 pm hey guys i wanted to ask if you know some service or yourself? who can help out (paid of course!) understanding scales/chords?
my approach (if it is good?) taking a genre and music examples/tracks to analyze and learn the progressions.

thx :tu:
normally you would learn the language before reducing it to a genre (music is music)
by which i mean, most good schools will use classics, so theres a lot more literature aimed at this, which in turn makes it easier to study.

plus, if you're not as in to classical music for listening purposes, you may find it less distracting.

just some bits to think about! :tu:
Thank you for the response. Can you share some online music schools from where I can learn the ABCs of chords and how to play an acoustic guitar?

Thanks.

Stamped Records wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:10 pm You know what you are if you argue with idiots.....................
Truculent?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Stamped Records wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:10 pm You know what you are if you argue with idiots.....................
I argued with idiotic statements, arguing with a person behaving as though they can't discern from pretty easily digested info.
You being the point, well, no.

It probably doesn't lower my intelligence to do it, since the actual motivation is to provide better information on the subject.

thread locked because the ot bs was carried over to another thread
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Music Theory”