Musical vs Technical and Understanding Where Your Music Falls

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/HJFcRfg-uY4

Hey everyone, so I while I make these videos centered around Drum & Bass music I feel like the ideas I'm discussing can be applied anywhere. Maybe you'll find them useful, maybe not.

I like to focus more on the "why" in music. Most videos on Youtube are about how you can do something, but I feel like that's only half the picture. Knowing how to get a good sound or tone can only take you so far when you also need to learn how to use it if that makes sense.

Anyway, let me know what you all think if you have the time.

Good point to focus on the why. If there's no why to your track it's just another pointless forgettable genre excercise.

But actually I think there's another end to that spectrum, because when jungle became drum 'n bass and went either 'musical' or 'technical' that's when I got bored with it.. not sure how to define it. But if you listen to a lot of the early stuff it's neither musical or technical. That wasn't the appeal then, it was something else which is probably hard to capture now because music has moved on, and dnb is a common sound now. But back then something like Photek was just the most radical, futuristic shit you'd heard. By the time it started to appear on MTV and in car commercials, it lost that edge and I and a lot of people around me moved on. Early dubstep recaptured a bit of that excitement.. also not technical and definitely not musical (except maybe burial, sometimes) but lost it pretty quickly when it became a re-tread of the way d'nb went.

Quite interesting, I would just avoid the work "musical" since it's totally ambiguous.
"By the time it started to appear on MTV and in car" it lost freshness for me, "freshness" is something about the triggered emotions, which can be excitement, curiosity and so on.
E.G. Squarepusher used to say he wanted to make sexy grooves.

great stuff

I don't know why, other than I have ideas. I think musical *vs* technical may posit an unnecessary dichotomy at some point and that it relies on subjective opinion, varying from person to person. But I don't wonder about any 'why'.

I think this is probably in the wrong forum as it doesn’t touch on theory at all - it’s much more a discussion of production values.

Maybe it should be moved to Production Techniques?

Return to “Production Techniques”