Kick drums and frequencies

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Find a kick that hits around the 50-60hz range and sounds / grooves nicely with the bass. The pair really don't always have to be tuned to the same fundamental frequency - it just so happens you get a certain "glueing" effect when that's done correctly. Personally I prefer some separation between the two in most cases.

Sk1nZ wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:23 am Ok thanks, ive always thought its best to tune it to the root so will try tuning it +3, +5 or +7st
It only matters if the body of the kick rings out long enough that the listener perceives the kick as establishing a tone, eg a long drawn out 808 kick. Even then, tuning to the root, third, or fifth of the key are fine, and even disregarding key might be fine too - you have to listen and make a judgment call. Let your ears guide you.

Run your favorite punchy tracks into a spectrum analyzer, it's not rocket science. Unlike mixing, which should be the focus of your worries, instead of hertz this and that. :-)

Also, people are going to tell you to use your ears, and rightfully so, but do take into consideration that unless you have decades of experience your ears are only as good as your equipment. If your speakers/phones suck then perhaps you should consult the analyzers (and "common" sense).

Interesting discussion....it's never occurred to me to tune my kicks to the key I'm playing in.

zoolake wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:49 pm Interesting discussion....it's never occurred to me to tune my kicks to the key I'm playing in.
It’s kind of a snake oil thing. Not really any purpose to it unless you have a strong sense of pitch from any of the drums.

If your drums sound fine without altering their pitch - don’t change it.

it's kind of genre dependent really.
where the kick isnt really a kick, it's a synth, with a slightly sustained body compared to real drum kicks.
some genres of dance music, usually the more minimal stuff where the kick sound is more than just a rhythmic pumping driving beat behind the music.
although some less minimal trance uses it too.

Even if it’s perceived practice for certain genres, there have been a few threads here over the years where people are asking advice on making their kick drum sound good as it now sounds shit after re-pitching it to the key of the bass... :hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 pm Even if it’s perceived practice for certain genres, there have been a few threads here over the years where people are asking advice on making their kick drum sound good as it now sounds shit after re-pitching it to the key of the bass... :hihi:
well, theres a certain amount of "knowing what the f**k you're doing" involved, as with most things.
it does surprise me still how many "i bought host a today, how do i make this track?" includes video of some epic piece of music.
why do people think it's easy just because it's fun?

I think the fact that this discussion is under ‘Music Theory’ speaks volumes... :hihi:

and no, i have no issue with beginners.
we all start somewhere.
but be realistic! i didn't pick up a guitar at 13/14 and expect to be playing megadeth type riffs on day 1.

the journey is as important as the destination.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:29 pm I think the fact that this discussion is under ‘Music Theory’ speaks volumes... :hihi:
yeah, there seems to be a lot of mixing theory and production lately.
ive seen a few basic theory questions pop up in production techniques.

I learned the old fashioned way and tune everything by ear. You just know when things are right and how far off they are from that. It's an innate feeling as much as anything.

If you can't hear any issues then there aren't any issues. Or your ears need training. But I don't see the point in applying techniques if your ears aren't already telling you that something is wrong. If you first feel that something is wrong in that area - and it should be obvious - then follow that; rather than discovering issues that you might not have previously thought were important or even considered.

Consider the classic console trick of gating the test signal at 50Hz with the kick. Job done.

tbh, doesnt really effect me.
i dont do drums.

This is what happens when the kick is not in tune :

:hihi:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

my kicks normally hit at like 100 but i suppose it depends on style?

Return to “Music Theory”