Tips For Practicing Writing Melodies

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Agreed, I don’t think it’s right or wrong for anyone if it works for them.

Frankly, I wouldn’t have even commented on it as a suggestion for an alternative approach had it been presented in that way, but for so many reasons it’s not something I would want anyone to take away with the thought that convention and history have deluded them.

There was more: "The perception of rhythm only exists if the note is contrasted against another duration, whether that is silence..."
Rhythm exists, period. To posit silence as a duration like that just begs the question of the premise; silence between articulated sound is part of rhythm dependent on 'not silence', not as a duration in itself. It actually shows that the perception of rhythm is not this problem. It was argumentative against 'if rhythm is missing, then notes have no duration' which is not a problematic statement.

jancivil wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:37 pm There was more: "The perception of rhythm only exists if the note is contrasted against another duration, whether that is silence..."
Rhythm exists, period. To posit silence as a duration like that just begs the question of the premise; silence between articulated sound is part of rhythm dependent on 'not silence', not as a duration in itself. It actually shows that the perception of rhythm is not this problem. It was argumentative against 'if rhythm is missing, then notes have no duration' which is not a problematic statement.
Yeah, that stinks of desperation to 'win' once an argument has fallen apart.

According to that 'theory', pretty much all popular dance music has no rhythm that can be perceived.

The example Density 21.5, the flute solo, is the rhythm it is before the quarter rest in ms 3 happens; there it is, notated. When it's performed, preferably the rhythm is perceived for what it is.

I actually flew right by silence as a necessary duration when I first posted. This one was the whole reason I posted.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:45 am I am personally way more musically motivated by/focused on rhythm and sound than by melody. The notion of removing pitch from the equation to aid in the process of creating a melody really interested me.

I appreciate this discussion here. I wish it hadn’t degraded into argumentation. Discussions of music theory on this site often degrade into argumentation over whose philosophy is “correct”, in a realm that I’m pretty confident has a lot of variety in opinions as to ways to go about a thing. Music is math in theory, but it is also philosophy in approach.

It sounds like there are certainly multiple approaches worth considering.
i think personally "ignoring the vertical spacing of notes to learn how to use the vertical spacing of notes" does seem a stretch though.

surely testing out the vertical spacing to hear the different "effects" the varying options will give you?

rhythm for some pieces, as explained by aco, can easily identify the piece, but theres a lot more that id argue (non combativly) that the opening 3 or 4 notes of the melody will give it away.
name that tune (the game show) was built on this premise :)

"interval" was the word i was looking for :lol:
stupid stoners tryna be serious grrr.

vurt wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:12 pm

i think personally "ignoring the vertical spacing of notes to learn how to use the vertical spacing of notes" does seem a stretch though.

I'm practising cleaning up by not doing any cleaning. It's dangerous anyway.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:14 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:12 pm

I'm practising cleaning up by not doing any cleaning. It's dangerous anyway.
if i wasnt expecting a crawling bundle of baby in the near future i still probably wouldn't own a vac :shrug:

didn't know you were pregnant

jancivil wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:33 pm didn't know you were pregnant
im not showing yet teehee.

my sons gf is the pregnant one, due pretty much any day :D
my first granddaughter :D :D

my mother was my niece's - who is 20 days younger than I am - grandmother. Obviously, except for that weird perceptual thing, my mother and my half sister pregnant at the same time.

my youngest uncle is a few years older than me, which always felt weird enough, but you got me beat there :lol:

mama was a grandmother at 38, younger 'n you

Singing them helps a ton! And if in a commercial style of music, simple is often best! Also, try not to use too many melodies in one song because people need something to latch on to!

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Music Theory”