Is using chord plugins and tools cheating if you do not know music theory?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:30 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 amHe took a good live band with a strong following, dressed them to appeal to a wider audience
It was the trousers :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB0MxBMMKHM
:hihi:

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:10 am
jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:08 am
First a big lol to quoting some random quora dot com post :tu:
Well, if we're relying on fallacy then don't mind me while I enjoy the thoughts of the guy with the bonafides.
How are you able to copy the text from the Quoran’s answer? I can’t seem to using Safari on iOS. Amazing. /s

Appealing to authority is a rhetorical fallacy only when the authorities argument is missing from the appeal, if I’m not mistaken.

Anyway, I just read the answer now, and he goes on to explain something akin or in the spirit to what I previously wrote. He says that the Beatles are more culturally relevant now because, prior to their later music (when they), it wasn’t obvious that music could exist solely as an electronic production and recording because records were documents of performances.

While whether their impact and importance is due to their musicality or studio technique is debatable, I do agree that their innovative use of production was pioneering. I’m not sure, however, that I would classify them as electronic musicians like the author does.

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 am Anyway, I just read the answer now, and he goes on to explain something akin or in the spirit to what I previously wrote. He says that the Beatles are more culturally relevant now because, prior to their later music (when they), it wasn’t obvious that music could exist solely as an electronic production and recording because records were documents of performances.
Has anyone made a record of just the girls in the audience screaming from their early days? That seems like a Yoko project right there.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:56 am
perpetual3 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 am Anyway, I just read the answer now, and he goes on to explain something akin or in the spirit to what I previously wrote. He says that the Beatles are more culturally relevant now because, prior to their later music (when they), it wasn’t obvious that music could exist solely as an electronic production and recording because records were documents of performances.
Has anyone made a record of just the girls in the audience screaming from their early days? That seems like a Yoko project right there.
https://youtu.be/CZ-eudMTcoc

https://youtu.be/HdZ9weP5i68

And of course my favorite

https://youtu.be/h9kgu71d81U

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 am you've always seemed an asshole to me.
Ouch! That hurts... :-D

jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:03 am
jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:04 am you've always seemed an asshole to me.
Ouch! That hurts... :-D
LOL!

Anyways, angry uptight music snobs aside...In response to the OP, I thought along the lines of if using chord plugins IS cheating then surely...

Use loops = CHEATING!
Quantise = CHEATING
Draw Notes in Piano Roll = CHEATING
Sampling = CHEATING
Using unaltered presets on, well pretty much anything = CHEATING
Toontrack EZ anything = CHEATING
Playing the Piano = CHEATING
OR

We come to grips with the modern reality allows for a wide range of approaches to making music and it is not always buried in a deep understanding of traditional music theory. :hug: to all :D
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 am Anyways, angry uptight music snobs aside...In response to the OP, I thought along the lines of if using chord plugins IS cheating then surely...

Use loops = CHEATING!
Quantise = CHEATING
Draw Notes in Piano Roll = CHEATING
Sampling = CHEATING
Using unaltered presets on, well pretty much anything = CHEATING
Toontrack EZ anything = CHEATING

OR

We come to grips with the modern reality allows for a wide range of approaches to making music and it is not always buried in a deep understanding of traditional music theory. :hug: to all :D
A piano is a machine that leverages technology to make it (relatively) easy to play hammered string sounds.

ghettosynth wrote:A piano is a machine that leverages technology to make it (relatively) easy to play hammered string sounds.
Frank Zappa once described the piano as "the world's most complex percussion instrument" (or something like that).

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:20 am
A piano is a machine that leverages technology to make it (relatively) easy to play hammered string sounds.
Post ammended...cheers for that :tu:

I suspect that the Trombone is really a piece of technology to make it easier (and less painful) to play musical farts
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 am I suspect that the Trombone is really a piece of technology to make it easier (and less painful) to play musical farts
If there's pain you're doing it wrong. Try exercises, they work best in an elevator.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:13 am
jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 am I suspect that the Trombone is really a piece of technology to make it easier (and less painful) to play musical farts
If there's pain you're doing it wrong. Try exercises, they work best in an elevator.
:hihi:

jancivil wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm Do a lot of people justify knowing nothing about compression but prefer to just be doing random guesses with presets in the 'Effects' or 'Production Techniques' boards? Are there even such questions, 'do you just prefer not knowing because you can't be arsed?'
In the effects forum there's a a post and several discussions about sonible smart:comp, which fully automates compression. You need no knowledge of compression to take advantage of it.

Return to “Music Theory”