Is using chord plugins and tools cheating if you do not know music theory?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:09 pm
jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 am I suspect that the Trombone is really a piece of technology to make it easier (and less painful) to play musical farts
It has so many uses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IKthNYhVY
+1

:lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:10 pm
Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:09 pm
jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 am I suspect that the Trombone is really a piece of technology to make it easier (and less painful) to play musical farts
It has so many uses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IKthNYhVY
+1
police in wigan a couple of years back where seeking "two teens riding a pushbike playing a trombone" as it "is disturbing the peace" :lol:

they recently reported that "teens are setting fire to plastic recycling bins to get high off the fumes"
if they weren't before they where soon trying it.

and from what ive smelled when walking past groups of teenagers, they seem to do ok with actual drugs :hihi:

Apparently, Portland has to deal with a unicycling bagpiper so Wigan may have gotten off lightly.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:34 pm Apparently, Portland has to deal with a unicycling bagpiper so Wigan may have gotten off lightly.
:o

perpetual3 wrote:... the condition essential to the Beatles success - their production and innovative studio techniques, rather than their musical talent...
Wow. What color is the sky on your planet?

The condition essential to The Beatles' success was things like I Want to Hold Your Hand had gigantic appeal to pubescent girls who bought all the 45RPM *records*; as did the Beatles Haircut (read: Marketing). The Beatles only ever had the kind of access to long, long hours in Abbey Road Studios for George Martin to innovate using all the gear in those ways having been a huge seller of records already.

The stupid quora post was not so stupid as to assert "The Beatles" lacked "musical talent". It did appear to be a reply to something something people who didn't know music theory. There is no actual connection to knowing music theory and musical talent per se.

for anyone really interested, the beatles studio sessions bibliography covers all their recording sessions.
it does mostly deal with the production side of things, but there are also lots of song notes on odd bits of paper, showing ideas growing.

and as jan said earlier, a large thesis could be written on the beatles music and in many ways already has, there are several books covering the theory and song writing.

to suggest they only became famous post experimentation is ludicrous, all that live black n white footage of girls screaming is pre revolver remember ;)

But Courtney is right: the Beatles weren't exceptionally great guitarists, or drummers, or keyboard players, or even singers. They were pretty good at those things, and had flashes of greatness.
1) please let that be Courtney Love
2) McCartney is a great bass player and a great singer. (well the voice falters a bit at that age now) Not in flashes, every time out. Some people, and I worked with one for years, think Lennon was a great singer.
Singer is a kind of musician, Mr Dumas.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no need for personal attacks
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:34 pm Apparently, Portland has to deal with a unicycling bagpiper so Wigan may have gotten off lightly.
Is it wrong that I like the bagpipes?

Hink wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:49 pm no need for personal attacks
he got off lightly, around here (near "the 'pool") you can get in to physical altercations just for not knowing every word to imagine :scared:
im not even joking :o

I got this slightly wrong
It's a form that's understood much better by pop listeners than "real" musicians, because we don't have the formal and analytical vocabulary to understand recordings the way we do for music theory.
because the word 'we' is vague, I read it as the person writing is a pop listener, but he (has to be a he) MAY think if himself as a scare quotes real musician; OR we is everyone.

I would tend to doubt that pop listeners have the formal vocabulary to understand recordings totally over this scare quote real musician as a whole, at any rate, or how that group is given to have formal vocabulary necessarily at all.

I'm old and tired. But this is really the very picture of fatuous. Is that a personal attack? I have no idea who wrote this twaddle.

are you taking the piss with that?

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:51 pm
Is it wrong that I like the bagpipes?
In this enlightened age, your preference for the bagpipes is a highly subjective thing that results from a mixture of personal and environmental influences that cannot be dealt with by a simple objective answer...

...but yes, it's wrong.

Return to “Music Theory”