Syncopation of one instrument vs. all the instruments in a piece.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

let's say I've got a melody that's comprised of 16 bars, or two identical parts of 8 bars each. My kick drum falls on the "1" of each beat.

First, I want to syncopate the guitar parts in bar: 4, 8, 12, 16. Would it be seen as uncommon if, for example the syncopation was such that, in bars 4 and 16 the guitar played just before the beat, while in bars 8 and 12 - just behind the beat? Is it generally advisable to syncopate the same way within a given musical phrase/melody if one does decide on syncopation? Also, would it be common for the kick to be syncopated as well - to follow the guitar parts - or not?

Thank you.

how does it sound? that's all that counts.

common or not is actually irrelevant.

If you want conventional, listen to what you think is normal or whatever and make note of it.

This looks more like you want paint-by-numbers than a real idea. We have no idea what that sounds like. There may be at some point such a thing as syncopation which doesn't work except to throw the groove off (& naively, doing too much), but as a recipe with no context or idea to place this notion in, there is nothing really to say.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

This is what I had mind, although I've since changed it somewhat, so the description from my OP no longer applies:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lser13yzr5jku70/hoc.mp3?dl=0

This is comprised of two similar parts. In both, the kick falls on the "1" and "3" of each beat, and the snare on the "2" and "4".

Between seconds 12-14 you can hear the final note of the first part, and it falls on the "&" between the "1" and "2" of the bar. It just doesn't seem right when I try to pull it back so that it starts on the beat.

In the bar immediately after that, the first guitar note of the 2nd part falls on the "2" (the kick remains on "1").

Finally, the last note of the 2nd part falls on the "&" between the "4" of one bar and the "1" of the following bar.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Return to “Music Theory”