How to write the blues?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any of you ever tried to learn engineering, drumming, sound design and music at the same time? I do as much as I possibly can, and that's more than most people, trust me on that. I'm at the keyboard 3 or 4 hours a day doing my own stuff, that's why I don't have time to play other people's music. I stumble upon stuff all the time that way, so I'm learning, always doing something new, that's all this blues study is, a new injection to what I already do, at the keyboard, but of course, I know the usual prejudice for electronic musicians, I feel that way myself.

Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:37 pm you don't study the blues.
Nope, that was not my message at least. I’d say you don’t study the blues with no clue about what you are studying in the first place, because you ain’t gonna make it then. This is not a question similar to “how do I make Eurotrance?”

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:58 pm "Stamped Records"...? Garrix? Is that You?

Also for your Blues thing Chief, go to Logic - Chord Trigger - Multi - Keyboard Voicing's - Blues Right Hand/ Blues Left Hand.

BOOM.
Yes, what he needs is further advice to ignore the subject all together and go for cheap tech-solutions instead. Nice produzah tip :tu:

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:11 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:58 pm "Stamped Records"...? Garrix? Is that You?

Also for your Blues thing Chief, go to Logic - Chord Trigger - Multi - Keyboard Voicing's - Blues Right Hand/ Blues Left Hand.

BOOM.
Yes, what he needs is further advice to ignore the subject all together and go for cheap tech-solutions instead. Nice produzah tip :tu:
I was being Sarcastic.

I mean unless he wants to use that Tip :shrug:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:00 pm Any of you ever tried to learn engineering, drumming, sound design and music at the same time?
Yes. It takes time and effort ...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:14 pm
Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:00 pm Any of you ever tried to learn engineering, drumming, sound design and music at the same time?
Yes. It takes time and effort ...
Who are you telling?

I enjoy the blues, I enjoy the sound, especially on guitar, and I have studied the context of the blues. I know what it is, what I wanted was some technical discussion, but I think most people percieve me as a little old electronic musician who wouldn't understand anyway, and that's fine, too.

As for the logic tip, nah, it really saddens me that it is possible to fake the blues, of all music. I think that's what has annoyed a few folks about my question here, but I ain't intend to fake it.

Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:46 am Are there any particularly bluesy progressions that I can hear and dissect?
Digging this one recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2m0Gj3wmM

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:13 pm

BOOM.
I was being Sarcastic.
I saw that as an option and in that case we are in it together, so no worries.

I ain't buying any excuse. You're in a huge hurry towards a destination and with this kind of weak m.o. you're going to be a tourist wherever you go.
The kind of tourist everybody is happy to see leave asap.

I'm going to be frank about my experience with you; your notions are naive. You're basically a beginner and the notion to "compose" without preparing yourself properly, and it looks like you're going to just double down on being in this hurry, is bogus.

Bypassing everything in this clue-free hurry is not going to give you anything approaching the rich kind of experience the full journey gives. With the time spent learning music for real (instead of this kind of just diddling yourself), sussing good music made by people that know how to make music, you'd in all likelihood have better clues.

You're trying to learn the mechanics of music straight from information; information is not knowledge. It has to apply to something experiential.
If you would get humble enough to gain experience about chords from songs, playing them, figuring out what happens on records, transcribing as much as you possibly can you'd be gaining real knowledge.

I'm seeing this in a quotes box: "you don't study the blues" - you PLAY the blues. Full stop.

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:21 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:13 pm

BOOM.
I was being Sarcastic.
I saw that as an option and in that case we are in it together, so no worries.
Yea, sorry about that.
Looking back at how I wrote it, Sarcasm can be hard to detect on the Internet :shrug:
Last edited by Spencer Maddox on Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:16 pm I ain't intend to fake it.
You have two stories at diametric odds with each other then. To be real, you get an instrument together.
Blues is already somebody else's music. You seek to appropriate from outside, ok, people do do that but you have told us that remaining at arm's length is the m.o.

Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:16 pm I enjoy the blues, I enjoy the sound, especially on guitar, and I have studied the context of the blues. I know what it is, what I wanted was some technical discussion, but I think most people percieve me as a little old electronic musician who wouldn't understand anyway, and that's fine, too.
I think you invited the little old electronic musican yourself by this statement:
I'm an electronic composer so i haven't got time to learn to play an instrument well. I just want a rough outline on what makes the blues, the blues.
As far as the technical discussion go then you should ask a specific question.

As for me, I am not getting at you but took time to find some easy entries to you because you per OP seemed to request something like that. I also gave you a loud hint where to look for the blues prior to any chord or scales experiments (“what makes the blues, the blues”). I mentioned those things in faith that you’d follow it if you were really interested.

You have absolutley no idea what I'm doing. I'm learning everything at the same time instead of devoting my time to one thing in particular. Electronic music is a multidiscipline, I don't care what anybody else thinks about how I learn, I'm learning. I guarantee you I'm better at something than everyone on this board, but of course, that thing I'm better at will be irrelevant to you, and I'm wasting my time, right (that's rhetoric).

We can't all be musically trained. I work, very fuuckin hard to achieve what I want to do, and as long as I'm the one doing the working, not you or anyone else has the right to tell me what I do is wrong.

As I said to you before, go back in time, and learn it all on your own, you'll soon have a different perspective on naiive.
Last edited by Stamped Records on Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guess you are answering Jan and not me?

I learned music and was a musician for 10 solid years before I decided to write. And it's not like I lacked the knack, I was improvising solidly for years. I actually felt I should have something to say first.

The world isn't trying to hear your voice to be in this kind of crazy hurry. Just because the tools all exist in the same place at the same time doesn't need to amount to pressure to be productive overnight. Jack-of-all-trades, master of none until you set priorities; the first priority before "composing" is musicianship. if you think not, you're bullshitting yourself. It's no skin off anybody else's anything whatever you do, but it's reality check time. And it's ok if you aren't hearing it. It isn't for everybody.

Return to “Music Theory”