How to write the blues?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been very keen to get a bluesy sound for a very long time and I wondered if anyone could help me? Are there any particularly bluesy progressions that I can hear and dissect?

R.U. serious?? What style of blues exactly?

I recommend you do your own homework. Then you actually learn something. Pick a song, play along, name the chords, play the licks & riffs. Learn to speak the musical language by doing it.

Blues is easy. Mannic Boy has just one chord for example.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

See, if you'd only said that last sentence, followed by elaboration, you would have just contributed, close but no cookie. :lol:

I'm an electronic composer so i haven't got time to learn to play an instrument well. I just want a rough outline on what makes the blues, the blues. I can only assume from my current level that its lots of parallel chords giving blue notes to the melody, but what are good chord progressions to go along with the blues, thats my real question. Pentatonic with blues notes for melody, not a whole lot of information on blues harmony available, apart from 12 bar blues.

Is the blues as simple as switching chords from major to minor at will, does blues cadence perfectly etc. etc.

The point is there's no one answer.

With this attitude you won't ever get what it is.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

moby already did electronic blues.

Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:03 pm See, if you'd only said that last sentence, followed by elaboration, you would have just contributed, close but no cookie. :lol:

I'm an electronic composer so i haven't got time to learn to play an instrument well. I just want a rough outline on what makes the blues, the blues. I can only assume from my current level that its lots of parallel chords giving blue notes to the melody, but what are good chord progressions to go along with the blues, thats my real question. Pentatonic with blues notes for melody, not a whole lot of information on blues harmony available, apart from 12 bar blues.

Is the blues as simple as switching chords from major to minor at will, does blues cadence perfectly etc. etc.
it aint got jack to do with with any of that, it aint chemistry, and if you stick to a formula it shows...of course that isn't limited to the blues
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

haven't got time to learn an instrument well...

you in some kinda hurry?

but you dont need to learn an instrument, but you do need to listen, feel, know the music you wish to make. or it will sound like a muzak blues.

"It dreamed itself along"

I'm not looking for a formula, and as much as I appreciate the gesture, I'm not looking for any quick fixes. I'm looking for a few suggestions as to where or how I can find the feeling in the notes, so that I can explore it myself. I'm primarily a composer, I don't play anyone else's music, and considering I'm my own sound designer, drum programmer and mix engineer, I think the best I'm gonna do with playing, is for my own ideas to get progressively more complex.

Look up 12 bar blues & learn a blues scale (if you have time) ... its not rocket science.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:10 pm Look up 12 bar blues & learn a blues scale (if you have time) ... its not rocket science.
I know it's not rocket science, that's why I've already done that and it's not the question I'm asking.

break down some recordings, steal and borrow, rebuild.
repeat, get better.

what is it about the blues you like?

who taught you to laugh? who taught you to cry?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Stamped Records wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:46 am I've been very keen to get a bluesy sound for a very long time and I wondered if anyone could help me? Are there any particularly bluesy progressions that I can hear and dissect?
The answer to your question is yes.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Music Theory”