She Moves Through The Fair: What's the EFFING Meter?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

My wife and I want to perform/record this, but the seeming lack of meter is driving me nuts. It seems to be ostensibly in 3/4 time, but not necessarily so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:bang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkozYc6wfs
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I had no problem counting to 6 here, so 6/4 could be the deal. I will try once more and report.

I give up.
Stick to 3/4
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thanks! :tu:

Erm...what is the difference between 6/4 and 6/8? My theory is quite rudimentary. :oops:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 pm I give up.
I thought it was 6/4?
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yeah it works a such but sometimes it sounds like they put an extra 3/4 in there so we have 9\4. Guess 3/4 will work if you do not accent 1 every time, so it sounds like a waltz.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm thanks! :tu:

Erm...what is the difference between 6/4 and 6/8? My theory is quite rudimentary. :oops:
It is basically a question of tempo to me, I prefer to count slower tempos as 6/4 but it is relative because in both cases we are dealing 6 beats with a subdivision of 2 = 12 (16th notes in 6/8 and 1/8 notes in 6/4), so they could as well have written it in 6/8. But again, it seems like they put an extra 3/4 now and then, so this seems better meter to work with. I have not analysed it fully.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sounds more like a consistent 3/4 to me. 6/4 or 6/8 should work as well.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

It's a tricky song. Every version I've seen of this the meter wanders. I'm glad that it's just not me that finds it unorthodox. My wife says she can sing it like this, and given her knowledge and ability, I am sure she can. I just don't want to be stumbling around with the backing.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, I appreciate it!
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yeah stick to 3/4, better safe than sorry, but watch the accents.

You could say 3 with a little fermata at 3, or 3 and a half (7/8). The pulse I get with the anacrusis, which is a consistent feature of the timing, gets me 3 1/2 the most frequently. 3 and a quarter sometimes which is like 13/16. But it is felt, not counted I suppose.

Return to “Music Theory”