jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm
IncarnateX wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm
telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:48 pm Yeah, I liked LSD
There it was. A little too much, maybe.
beh, I took acid all the time for years
I aced my theory final while blazing
im beginning to see why mr x gets so heated, not enough acid in his life :hihi:

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:23 pm It seems these modes are what I was sort of looking for. Would I be correct in suggesting that the melody and the harmony can be somewhat detached using modes, for example, one of those ice-cream changes you mention could played in Aeolian under a melody in phyrigian?
The whole dominant-tonic aspect tends to ruin modes. Certainly Aeolian doesn't contain it.
I vi IV V turns around to I.

Less chords is more in terms of modes.
For Mixolydian, I and VII really does the trick. IE: you have D as I, C is VII.

Dorian may be brought out by i to IV: Gm to C; C carrying the 6th of the set, E pertaining to G which is the character of Dorian (minor 3 but a major 6).
That's all a little bit cryptic, but actually, a specific mode is tied to a specific key, right? So, if you're saying that I and VII in mixlodyian does the trick, then in the key of CM, I would use the chords CM and BM and bass my melody around G. I can see how the I and VII might work well in this instance. It's almost like a constant V-I really? But, I need to borrow a note to make B major, right? How would you deal with that borrowed note while switching chords - while using C, use F in the melody and while using B, use F#?

Sorry to be a pain, but it's much easier to ask questions than it is to google lifeless answers. It's much appreciated :tu:

Also, I played on the piano quickly and it turns out that beautiful melody from the song I posted is in phyrigian. I'm so excited, finally some progress. I've never written anything beautiful, not really. I was beginning to wonder where the hell this music was coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN75im_us4k

I think Rickrolling it actually improves the thing

Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm
jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:23 pm It seems these modes are what I was sort of looking for. Would I be correct in suggesting that the melody and the harmony can be somewhat detached using modes, for example, one of those ice-cream changes you mention could played in Aeolian under a melody in phyrigian?
The whole dominant-tonic aspect tends to ruin modes. Certainly Aeolian doesn't contain it.
I vi IV V turns around to I.

Less chords is more in terms of modes.
For Mixolydian, I and VII really does the trick. IE: you have D as I, C is VII.

Dorian may be brought out by i to IV: Gm to C; C carrying the 6th of the set, E pertaining to G which is the character of Dorian (minor 3 but a major 6).
That's all a little bit cryptic, but actually, a specific mode is tied to a specific key, right?
No, mode is not key at all. You may apply the key signature of one flat, confer F major, to G Dorian but there is no key of G Dorian.
Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm So, if you're saying that I and VII in mixlodyian does the trick, then in the key of CM, I would use the chords CM and BM and bass my melody around G. I can see how the I and VII might work well in this instance. It's almost like a constant V-I really? But, I need to borrow a note to make B major, right? How would you deal with that borrowed note while switching chords - while using C, use F in the melody and while using B, use F#?
To additionally illustrate the problem of key vis a vis mode, D Mixolydian has the one sharp, F#. F# is the leading tone of, and makes for the sign in the key signature of G major. G major is not what you want, in which case D Mixolydian is gone.
So a chord containing the tension C and F# has to be watched for, as the dominant 7th harmony to G.

D is the center. So the piano example illustrates the sound of Mixolydian, anyway.

For Phrygian, the ii (example, F for an E Phrygian) is like a dominant, or C to the D Mixolydian.

The thinking of key is not really going to glom onto mode and be of any use. B major is kind of distant to the one sharp sort of color. Borrowing chords is a harmonic music sort of move. More chords is not really more for the feeling or mood of modality,
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:35 pm Nickelback is the Republican's answer to rock/HPC thread

Personally I think Nirvana and all that shit sucked :P
That's fine. It doesnt really matter in the grand scheme of things what kind of music you like or dont like or whther you are jazz berkly dude or metal rocker .. my real problem with your type is you go on whining how you don't get this "new music" and these "new kids". But you haven't been able to get them for 30+ years while music trends and fashions have come and gone.. so what the hell makes you think you will ever get them now? So why keep whining about how you don't get it and how everything sucks. Just be honest and straight forward with yourself and people about who you are and dont go around pissing and demoralizing young people who are creating the future.

my view on life is, wow.. i am so glad and can't believe i have lived this long and cancer hasn't gotten me yet.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm So, if you're saying that I and VII in mixlodyian does the trick, then in the key of CM, I would use the chords CM and BM and bass my melody around G. I can see how the I and VII might work well in this instance. It's almost like a constant V-I really? But, I need to borrow a note to make B major, right? How would you deal with that borrowed note while switching chords - while using C, use F in the melody and while using B, use F#?
C is VII of D Mixolydian.
I'm using capital vs lower case to indicate quality major vs minor; there is no VII in major, vii is a diminished triad.
I maybe should be using the indicator 'bVII' but technically C is not flatted in D Mixolydian, it's the default seventh degree.

So B major in C major is probably a kind of red herring. Making that work in the key is outside the purview of modes altogether.

modes are difficult to get your head around on paper i found.
then stumbled on some guy on youtube doing modes on guitar, david something...?
and following his basic modes tutorials it all suddenly clicked.

im not as versed as jan, so cant necessarily explain it, but im now at a point where i can at least map it on the neck, even if it's not so instant yet!

Ok, so when you refer to the scale degrees you are referring to the mode itself, not the the scale degrees of the major or minor (standard key) that the mode is being used within?

For example, I'm really going to want to use this phyrigian mode now, and for simplicity, I'm using E phyrigian as it ties up nicely with the white keys, and I need that for a moment to wrap my head around it. What chords would you recommend to go with a melody in E phyrigian?

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN75im_us4k

I think Rickrolling it actually improves the thing
ok! muted!

:hihi:

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:38 pm
IncarnateX wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm
telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:48 pm Yeah, I liked LSD
There it was. A little too much, maybe.
beh, I took acid all the time for years
Some can take it, even benefit from it. Was basically stoned on weed from elementary school till I finished my Ph.d. Couldn’t have made it without it. Too restless and alert for that.

Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:09 pm Ok, so when you refer to the scale degrees you are referring to the mode itself, not the the scale degrees of the major or minor (standard key) that the mode is being used within?

For example, I'm really going to want to use this phyrigian mode now, and for simplicity, I'm using E phyrigian as it ties up nicely with the white keys, and I need that for a moment to wrap my head around it. What chords would you recommend to go with a melody in E phyrigian?
I would recommend getting into the mode as itself with no "help" via chords first.

Yes, when I say '6th' of Dorian, eg., E pertains specifically to G. Major sixth, minor third pertain to the 1 of the mode.
G Dorian and F major are by definition different animals.
It looks the same E in the key of F major and has the same intervallic position to the rest. For instance to 'Bb'; but E and Bb have different meanings to G Dorian than to F major. I wouldn't say we have to avoid the concurrence of E and Bb but you will need to have established the primacy of G or F really looms 'major'.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 pm im beginning to see why mr x gets so heated, not enough acid in his life :hihi:
WHUUUT? :o I’m as calm as a landmine, sweetie.

IncarnateX wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 pm im beginning to see why mr x gets so heated, not enough acid in his life :hihi:
WHUUUT? :o I am as calm as a landmine, sweetie.
jebus :o
i dont want to see you uncalm then!

Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm Sorry to be a pain, but it's much easier to ask questions than it is to google lifeless answers. It's much appreciated :tu:
Not at all, this is the place to ask questions.

Return to “Music Theory”