Does Melody Even Matter??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love when someone hits that spot and you can spend a whole day listening to one piece only, attending to it from different angles.

FWIW. In science we have cross disciplinary approaches to many issues as well. And though they are meant to constitute a symphony in a beautiful synthesis, they do actually appeal much more to the interruptive style presented here :)

Damn. I have forgotten the universal KVR-conclusion to all I have said, so I better make it. All things I have written taken in consideration: Does melody even matter?

NO, Obviosly it doesn’t matter to anyone or anything anywhere at any time ever, and least of all music. Period.

Just like the brain has been proven to have nothing to do with music at all because music is but culture flying around our heads, so we can’t even friggin hear it.

EDIT: However, maybe the OP has second language problems like my own and just meant: “Does melody matter to me in my Ragga music * and would you like to find out in 30 minutes only?”

A fair question, though it should not been posted in the Music Theory Forum but at best in “Everything else”, and at worst not at KVR at all.

* or whatever genre it was about, haven’t checked

I don't find he interrupts things, he just has significant contrast. He keeps going back to the theme, he started with a tweak of that theme, and in one of the hard rock sections overlays it on top giving it a wholly different aspect just through the context and volume.

Pretty sure the OP is American. I'm not going to click on the thing on principle, though. You notice he starts this, people got up in arms and he went out with the insincere 'Have a great day.' never to return to discuss it as a real question.

It matters except when it doesn't/end thread
except it goes off topic. The interest for me tends to be off a topic anyway.

should not been posted in the Music Theory Forum but at best in “Everything else”, ...

Well, people are generating A LOT OF clicks with Music Theory topics at the Youtube.
Personally I hate the vast majority of it. There's this bass player Adam Neely who has hundreds of thousands of subscribers, he annoys me no end. He has this hideous jingle at the beginning of videos, just atrocious sound and idiotic. He knows a lot but some of it is just wrong. I'd go there to get irritable. Then there was this one an idiot brought in here to try and make Eleanor Rigby have Phrygian chords in it, complete nonsense and that kid has 150K subscribers not knowing his ass from a hole in the ground. And he looks 11 yrs old.

jancivil wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 pm Well, people are generating A LOT OF clicks with Music Theory topics at the Youtube.
Personally I hate the vast majority of it.
I believe that. My "second language" point was an attempt at the impossible: To make a joke on the internet without an emoticon :hihi:

Yes, its function is bait anyhow. Though in some instances one should think that they would not know themselves since this may likely be what resembles "music theory" to the baiters in question.
How is the uninformed supposed to know he is uninformed? Did he know, he would not be uninformed but just a liar and self-deceiver. Only he can tell the difference, if he knows it.

I'd go there to get irritable
Ouch, sounds unnecessary masochistic to me :scared: Would need several of my more experienced colleagues' supervision to engage in such a quest and eventually a psychiatrist to ordinate the right medicine (apart from THC) to cope when psychology fails.

One should think that either the spammers or the teaching "scientists" appearing in this forum should be enough already. E.g. I would have liked to stay patient and polite with musiocologo but then he had to make the "fraud" accusation and there was my limit.

And how about the postmodernist guy that taught us about modern music beyond tonality in another thread? He was so postmodern that he did not even know about the concept of tonality he was supposed to counter with his postmodernism. If I want to work up myself, there is enough material around already. :D

there is no right medicine apart from THC :x

"I'd go there to get irritable" is rhetorical. I quit going after a point, because it's a waste of time, I want to argue, forget it.

SOME music theory there is no bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbPKJBJz8I&t=643s

The clickbait actually pans out to be Chopin to Ligeti with the 9:8 cross rhythm.

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:53 pm The clickbait actually pans out to be Chopin to Ligeti with the 9:8 cross rhythm.
“9 notes pr. second” :o

Well, I am completely on the point that the polyrhythms of Chopin are meant to give the melody a free flow, a sense of moving beyond the boundaries rather than staying within...and a manic character as well. Sure that one is easy to buy.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another thing to learn there is you can effect a polyrhythm cross-rhythm up to a point by groupings/phrasing.

You can do 4 in the time of 5 like so
Black Page copy.jpg

there, twice = 8:10

edit for precision ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nope..... melody doesn't' matter one iota.... neither does harmony or rhythm for that matter!

yes...melody matters

It's neither here nor there.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:27 pm It's neither here nor there.
everything is somewhere.

Return to “Music Theory”