Does Melody Even Matter??

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry Jan, that was a typo. I meant "etic" as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emic_and_etic
the difference between concepts defined by the researcher vs the words used by the people they are studying, for instance the Suya people don't use the word "pitch" (as in Seeger, "Why suyà sing?").

But I never meant to upset anyone and obviously everything that I write is coming back at me, my goal was just to share the knowledge I learned from those books that I linked and that I found useful.
I obviously failed in doing so. I'm not native english speaker, and because 800p books are complex would require a command of english language and power of concision I don't seem to have. Therefore I leave the discussion because I don't want to be nuked whatever that means, neither I am in a battle. If anything I invite you to just take a peak on Nettl's book, first chapters as he explains all these points much better than I am able to do so. Again, really sorry for any harm caused and I don't bother you again, as everything I was trying to convey is in those books anyway.

https://b-ok.cc/book/2473734/19022a
Play fair and square!

For all I care you could have gotten away with your sea of assertions if science was not taken hostage in best of KVR style to lend objectivity to your statements. We have enough of that shit already in these times of fake news and emotion based science rejection. No need to contribute to the upcoming age of anti-enlightenment. Seems apocalyptic enough already.

As far as academia concerns, here is one of my shortest rules that concerns most of it. Know that there are three ways to screw up an argument, which can enhance each other:

1. You base the whole argument on false or ungrounded premises from which point everything else will be screwed even if it has the right logical form.
2. You infer consequences, which does not follow from the premises, that is, your inference has not a valid logical form.
3. You are not able to make conclusions in a valid logical form

Hope you can infer from this yourself that if you screw up any of these, argument is down the drain. And if you screw up all of them, you get utterly nonsense. Further; even if you do not screw up, you will convince no one unless you provide the analysis unambigiously

In everyday conversation we make a lot of such errors and that is why we in academic contexts need to approach it systematically, analyse, critisize and finally reach our own conclusions to either support or reject the source as something of interest to our topic.

Academia is not about just repporting a lot of non-transparent assertions, inferences or conclusions already made. However, everyday babble-wabble is about that, and therefore it is ok with me as long as it not even remotely claims to be scientific or objective, because that it ain’t for sure.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jancivil wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm I liked the Steely Dan, it really swings. Never heard that one.
Dan did the deed. Got to know them accidentally in the prime 90s but they became my entry point to Jazz harmonization. More than a few things going on in their music.

jancivil wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:35 pm
IncarnateX wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:27 pm“Subliminal counterpoint” anyone?

Do you know the video of 10CC's construction of "I'm Not In Love"?
Nope, but I will check it out now.

I did not watch the video. I think sometimes it does and sometimes it does not, depends on genre. Probably less so for dance genres where moving feet and smiles is the goal. Here you can potentially rely on interesting sounds and their textural movement.

I think there needs to be some melody, but music with complex melody can be great or not so great and the same goes for a track with very little melody, can be great or not. Most of the time either will fall into the forgettable region, and maybe 1pct of the time you will capture a few people who feel magic.

Very subjective to which there no definitive answer.

jancivil wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm I liked the Steely Dan
William Burroughs would be pleased to hear that... :hihi:
Sweet child in time...

What started it for me was:
All other music practices are then considered "inferior" because of the "simplicity" of the musical materials and the lack of innovation or dexterity. Most pop music is seen as infantile because any 10 year old can play those, and imitate those.

Of course, everyone who starts from other kinds of values (for instance, most people who were not grown as "trained musicians" or don't play instruments) don't share them.
First, a straw man. You know where this comes from probably? A resentment against people who have advanced skills.
So you try to portray it in this negative light.

Recognizing infantilization of a culture is being real. It isn't a disrespect of viable, wholesome values. It is a recognition of a failure of values.

Compounding this, "Musicologo", was to establish this goalpost, views on pop music held by your supposed cognoscenti in a straw man form, and then once I had addressed it move the goalpost way over here to talk about folksongs. And NOW I have dismissed EVERYTHING under the sun that wasn't something something elite.

It has NOTHING to do with simplicity vs complexity. This is in your head, and it's garbage. Per the topic, a melody may be quite simple and be elegant and a little gem. It may be complicated and simply hard to follow, with no guarantee of quality of its construction. If you knew about music, the chances are good you don't come away with this quality of assertion.
Consideration of behaviors isn't going to result in a knowledge of music. People may do music in modern times far outside their own particular milieu. People find their own level, I guess and yours is unfortunately not way up here above musicianship {accessing "a real music theory"}.

You are pontificating on things you don't really know about, in the first place. You aren't working in the field talking to people or you'd have a sensitivity you direly lack. You're not basing this shit in talking with people.
You aren't really writing, or you'd know about fallacies, and logic, rhetoric... no one in academia worth a shit would tolerate this. You may think I'm mean, but write a paper this full of holes and see if you don't get an F and a suggestion maybe you need to be doing something else with your time.

I'm surely not alone in that the pontificating gets old, fast.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthman2000 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am I think there needs to be some melody...
You only need three chords and the truth (although, you could probably get away with two).
eh?

what hack journo are you parroting with that line

wasnt it joe strummer?

Oh, whatever. Made me think of Lester Bangs. It beats thought, don't it, if you have a line. The Truth®.

i could be wrong, it's just has a ring of familiarity.

according to wikipedia it goes back to the 50s.
so i was wrong, unless of course strummer quoted it :shrug: :hihi:

Harlan Howard

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... es-197596/

probably points more to the truth of the story being told

If you want Ice Cream changes you're doing too much.
Which one of I vi IV V has to go, I wonder.

lose the minor, it complicates it when you need to remember which is the minor.

Return to “Music Theory”