Help with Meter and Time Signature

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, is anyone able to shed some advice. What time signature or meter is this drum part in? I am trying to break it down into a drum part. In particular the part at 1:34 where it picks up and the tom parts.

https://youtu.be/faeoPxoLxEs?t=93
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Sounds like basic 4/4 with the bass drum hitting on the upbeat of 1 for the most part.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

4/4

Edit: I was wrong.
Last edited by Etienne1973 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Etienne1973 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm 25 = 3/4
No. it's all been 4/4, quite past what I could call bar 25. The beginning is ambiguous probably because it's a faulty edit. I'm saying there is a 4 bar intro before the piano and quite past would could be called 25 is all 4/4 except the track apparently doesn't begin on 1. But the question was cued at 93 seconds and that's also 4/4 for a solid minute.

Edit: I was wrong again.
Last edited by Etienne1973 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Etienne1973 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:06 pm Image
Hi, what is this? So you import the wav file and then try to figure out the time signature in a DAW?

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

AsPeeXXXVIII and Jancivil are right. :tu:

4/4 through the whole song!

Etienne1973 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 pm AsPeeXXXVIII and Jancivil are right. :tu:

4/4 through the whole song!
Thanks. :tu:

Why does it sound like its in a different time signature?

telecode wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:05 pmWhy does it sound like its in a different time signature?
Syncopation

Perhaps the following movie can help you transcribe:

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkjg00unvcwxvb9/Hand%20In%20Hand%20by%20Phil%20Collins.mp4?dl=0

If you literally count, there is nowhere you'll end up with a really mistaken ONE if it's 4 beats you're counting. Downbeats such as the putative bar 25 or 26 or whatever may feel 'empty' but if you counted 1 after 3 beats there you're off for the rest of the song (unless a 5 somewhere corrects it).

I see . thanks all.

Return to “Music Theory”