Music Theory vs Chord VST

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 pm for my own part, my grandkid is several months from being born. im already looking at drum kits :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VRVYZ0cSw
hired!
damn that kids got groove!

if my grandkid is half that good at twice that age, id be a proud granddad :D

he grooves like a motherf**ker
My favorite moment is he's 20 mos old and he's following a track ok but he hears something and stops to listen (ghost hits, bounces, on the snare is what's happening).

Notice in that how technology really is an aid rather than an excuse.

FTR, I use the technology, I exploit the technology. If you're going to push your own envelope, a sequencer is going to provide information beyond what you will preconceive. Once I got a good handle on Time Warp, where you determine first where ONE is and then look at the numerator and subdivisions of, I was learning about my own impulses, things I wouldn't know to describe but had going on internally. And this is mind-expanding. I learn from its specific limits as well as from being able to see multiple levels as a visual.

Then there's the time I fed something to Audio to Midi I KNEW it wasn't going to suss, because it's too much information, but the idea was to abstract something of the rhythm in this oblique fashion rather than my preconceptions as a filter in front of <educated guesses> and with that as raw material, 'wrote' something.

My apologies for not reading this whole thread OP, but you answered your own question. Do you want to learn an instrument or do you want to pump out tracks?

I always think, by the time I have learnt all the functions of one of those chord vst machines, I could have probably learnt and practiced a bunch of chords anyway.

However I do think they have a place for un co-ordinated keyboard players like my self.

But I do think tools like this are like someone giving away spoilers to your favourite films. Why I the hell would you want to do that.

Great music or great musician or great producer, I don’t know which is best, and getting head to match up with ears, eyes and hands is a talent that I just keep chasing. I just hope that I actually make some tracks along the way that I’m happy with and aren’t to s***.

it doesn't replace any kind of music theory knowledge but the voicing editor of RapidComposer can be a great help during the chord-progression building
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ViEFMV3Jk
borrowed chord functionality also a nice plaything, ghost track/notes functionality of FL Studio can be used nicely with it ( as a scratchpad)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

If you really want to play a real instrument, you need music theory.

And music theory software. :)

I wonder how all the masters of music through the ages did without

Lots of practice. But I think that if it had existed, they would have found it interesting, if not put to use.

edit/add:

To take it further, if they did put it to use, what product or tools (other than sample based) would have contributed most to an alternate music history?

Just wondering.

jancivil wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:00 am I wonder how all the masters of music through the ages did without
Originally chord abacuses, but in the late Classical/early Romantic period they used the Babbage analytical chord engine...

Forgotten wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:09 am
jancivil wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:00 am I wonder how all the masters of music through the ages did without
Originally chord abacuses, but in the late Classical/early Romantic period they used the Babbage analytical chord engine...
You may not be aware, but due to their centuries of use by the masters of music to compose the classical, romantic and modern repertoire, the ancient Chord Abacus and the Babbage Analytical Engine punch card system have now been merged to create the "Musical Abacus":

http://www.harmonicwheel.com/musical-abacus.php

The Musical Abacus integrates the main concepts in Music Theory, relating them in a logical and ordered way. It consists of two rotating discs, one being cardboard and the other plastic. Both discs are 12-sided polygons (or dodecagons). This is due to the fact that there are 12 different musical notes and, therefore, 12 Major Keys, 12 minor Keys, 12 Major Chords, 12 minor Chords, etc.

The site includes five videos by Professor Luis Nuno
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

:D
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I haven't read the entire thread here, so sorry if I've lost any context. My take on this is that I like composition software that lets me set a lot of parameters, including 'random-ness'. Using music theory knowledge, you can feed this software with raw materials and then sit back and see what it comes up with. You'll get tons of unusable crap, but occasionally you'll capture happy accidents. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've gotten some really interesting material this way. Many of these softwares can be used in conjunction with music theory - doesn't need to be a binary choice.

I can make a chord progression or a track with knowledge I have. I can also use for example Chordbot to make that progression and it's alot better than what I'd create without that tool.

So basically I'm trying to say that chord tool is just an extension to something I already know. And I might even learn something while doing it.

trewq wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:26 am Lots of practice. But I think that if it had existed, they would have found it interesting, if not put to use.

edit/add:

To take it further, if they did put it to use, what product or tools (other than sample based) would have contributed most to an alternate music history?

Just wondering.
well, had things happened earlier technology wise, id have enjoyed hearing bachs "higher state of consciousness sonata for 303".

Return to “Music Theory”