Music Theory vs Chord VST

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

equinus altitudenus!

DJ Warmonger wrote:Times have changed, no one does that anymore as there are easier ways.
I would say music is a very obvious exception to that. Plenty of people learn music theory and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote:Times have changed, no one does that anymore as there are easier ways.
I would say music is a very obvious exception to that. Plenty of people learn music theory and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
but it's also an area where new technologies are often looked down upon by previous generations, only for them to become new technologies that can lead to new styles of music.
electric guitars where a fad, synthesisers killed music...

Yeah, DJ, tell yourself whatever, there is all sorts of interest past your feckless ignorant level, more than ever due to what technology can assist with. (In terms of dealing with time, for one area)
No, people like you are actually an aberration. There aren't easier ways, there are only ways people delude themselves by, a crutch so you'll never have to get up off the floor. You have a helper pushing you around in your pram and you think you're fully locomotive. Easier ways to what? You don't even understand the question. When did you ever write any harmony of interest? "No one does that" proves you don't, your advocacy of not knowing is what it is, and you aren't self-aware to even know what you just said.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:47 pm
but it's also an area where new technologies are often looked down upon by previous generations, only for them to become new technologies that can lead to new styles of music.
Who cares? Inconsequential. Those people have no moment, affect nothing.

Maybe, but the introduction of guitars and synthesizers didn't stop people from learning music theory. It might have got more people playing music, but I don't know that it stopped anyone from learning music theory anymore than the widespread availability of chord generating software stopped it.
Sweet child in time...

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:58 pm
just saying, the technology isnt necessarily the issue, but how it is used.

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:59 pm
Maybe, but the introduction of guitars and synthesizers didn't stop people from learning music theory. It might have got more people playing music, but I don't know that it stopped anyone from learning music theory anymore than the widespread availability of chord generating software stopped it.
yeah, i dont see anyone not learning because the tool is available, would those people using it as a crutch have tried music if they had to learn?
people who wanted to learn music before technology was available like this, will continue...

Go to Youtube any time and do a rudimentary search 'music theory' and see.

Aside from harmony, the youngsters today are really pushing the envelope in rhythm, crossing and re-ordering rhythms, micro-rhythm, multiple levels of pulse, the world is teeming with interest. Harmony is not going to see new twists like that by its nature, but the interest is strong, and one needs go no further than Youtube.

No, the technology is advancing the collective consciousness if anything, at least in music; but some prefer a crutch out of abject laziness evidently, and to retard their growth and lie to themselves about what's happening. It's passing sad. It's an aberration, and it's not healthy.

would those people using it as a crutch have tried music if they had to learn?
Honestly I think probably not, for this certain type I suppose it doesn't happen if you have to stand on your own two feet and self-propel.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:02 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:58 pm
just saying, the technology isnt necessarily the issue, but how it is used.
It cuts both ways. There is total rubbish made now because of this kind of helper, which won't have been made otherwise.
You give up all agency and just have a machine, a lifeless pseudo-entity with no sentience guide you to paint-by-numbers at best, lame isn't nearly a strong enough word for it.

yeah, ive done a few bits with a local group who deal with vulnerable kids. kids with learning difficulties or in care.
i deal more with sound design (more Foley than synths for their short films) but theres a few music teachers there, who bring the kids out of themselves (the actual aim of the group) but every few months they put on a show and some of them are flying!
not saying there's any future stars, but theres talent and most of all, it gives them a confidence they never had before.
so i know all is not lost, music is not a human thing. its universal, it is not going anywhere because of one small group of people doing it a different way :shrug:

for my own part, my grandkid is several months from being born. im already looking at drum kits :D

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:16 pm would those people using it as a crutch have tried music if they had to learn?
Honestly I think probably not, for this certain type I suppose it doesn't happen if you have to stand on your own two feet and self-propel.
There are a few threads here that bear that out - people who ask for advice, then ask for different advice whenever there's a suggestion that they do something that involves applying themselves to learning something.

Some people certainly think that a musical equivalent of 'paint by numbers' makes them an accomplished musician, and while the end result may sound musical, there is no learning on the part of the "producer".
Sweet child in time...

I have to remind myself this forum, being a venue which in fact exists primarily to promote the sale of plugins and related software, is exactly where these people would show up; it's a very thin, short, and shallow slice of the world.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 pm for my own part, my grandkid is several months from being born. im already looking at drum kits :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VRVYZ0cSw

Return to “Music Theory”