Music Theory vs Chord VST

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:22 am
Hink wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:22 pm I think the best thing to do is if it bothers you so much just simply ignore the thread, there is plenty of other threads in this forum to go to.
One thing that does make this forum different is that there are musical conventions that allow people to communicate clearly to each other, and (at least in my case) I don’t like to see people given incorrect information and/or being subjected to someone’s personal theory that ignores conventions.

Obviously most of the rest of the forum involves very subjective areas, but this one is probably the most academic one. Sure there are differing schools of thought, but I think everyone here should refer back to the OP and consider what advice is being sought.
I agree, but again the use of this type of software presents a gray area...it's still subjective.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

i personally would rather you didnt f**k off :)

i enjoy your music for one thing, your insights on tracks you post about, my own included and ive learnt more than a little from you (id learn more if i understood what you where saying...)

Hink wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:22 pmAnother problem is someone might use them for learning purposes and how do we know at first? So where we draw the line becomes another problem.
draw the line as to moving it off Music Theory? Not my job, mang.
I think the best thing to do is if it bothers you so much just simply ignore the thread, there is plenty of other threads in this forum to go to. If you feel it ruins music then go in your studio, play, record, compose or whatever, come back out, read the thread, go back in your studio, play, record, compose or whatever, analyze your two sessions to se how much it affected your music :hihi:
The thing is, this is just a member’s opinion and is basically your imagining of another person’s motivation etc. In a larger sense this is an historical inevitability (CF: HG Wells), and this ruining music is true in a limited sense but bigger picture, hardly.
But you have already shown a certain cynicism, you may lead a horse to water but you can’t make ‘em drink, so a big grain of salt is necessary here for me.

I think we have tempest in a teapot.
just my take, mind.

sigh
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hink wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:00 pm
I think everyone here should refer back to the OP and consider what advice is being sought.
I agree, but again the use of this type of software presents a gray area...it's still subjective.
Well, what actually is going on is the people arguing for the genuine interest and richer experience of working from an authentic idea are the ones who can recognize exactly the use value as a basis for study. and who have...

So, the exercise begins to look like be kinder to the time wasters finally. While I admit I could be more restrained, personally.

I just am asking the question should we move these types of thread, your answer was it's up to us...got it
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

fine, & I can just quit posting if you’re going to impute “berating a person” to my reply to the OP’s second post, it’s just alienating AF

I'm sorry, I have no idea how to respond to that...I mean it's unreasonable as all hell...and you're going to give my words the power to do this? Note, it seems you want to lay blame on me but I am speaking in general, if you choose to take it personally there is nothing I can do about that.

edit: also ftr my first post in this thread appears to dec 31, over 10 months after said second post. :dog:

sure, dude. That’s totally reasonable, no one would refer to pg 1 of a thread this much later, especially after they ensure the thread keeps getting bumped that much later. I totally buy that you were thinking purely objectively rather than anything per the thread. :lol:

Should one be very worried about an assessment of reasonableness by the person who found this appropriate to post, tho
Hink wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:22 pm I think the best thing to do is if it bothers you so much just simply ignore the thread, there is plenty of other threads in this forum to go to. If you feel it ruins music then go in your studio, play, record, compose or whatever, come back out, read the thread, go back in your studio, play, record, compose or whatever, analyze your two sessions to se how much it affected your music :hihi:
I think you are capable of better than this.

Now it’s time to talk about the date some more, isn’t it.
I was curious, I didn’t want to see it originally. I shouldn’t be surprised by it but I was. Why not deal straightforwardly?

“We can do better” - yeah?

Here’s the actual context:
Hink wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:02 pmthis forum should be for all levels, not just for those advanced in music theory.
This is pretty much a straw man. Who is attacking people for being a beginner, per se? OTOH, a beginner gets a response such as
jancivil wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:10 am If you want the real joy of musical thought that's your own and not needing someone's who 'knows better', the choice is clear.
and this ensues:
flowsnice wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:12 am @Oberheim8000 I would think that the time spent learnng music theory would surpass the amount of time it would take to listen to random chords and find something that works. Esspecially when dealing with a particualr genere that deals with very similar chord progressions in eah song.
What do you want here, John?
Me to f**k off as your sarcasm above has it? Be honest. I replaced a long generous post with my authentic idea of this. Fed up.
Guess what? I am a human being with feelings.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I should never have looked at any of this again, it is not wise. I had PMs in my real email and went stupid some more again and had a glimpse.
But enough of this. Let this be the forum to suit YOUR comfort zone, uber alles. I’m too old for this shit.

Return to “Music Theory”