Music Theory vs Chord VST

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harryupbabble wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:08 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:03 pm
harryupbabble wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 pm and what happens if you get arthritis or can't afford a piano or replace broken guitar strings?
I still wouldn't need any kind of chord generator to make choices for me. I can input notes manually into the piano roll because I know what I'm doing. Not in terms of music theory, but through experience of the intervals and chords/scales, and knowing how instruments work.

And I have tied guitar strings back together before.... :hihi:
but but but chord gun is not making choices for you. you still have to select the chords. check out the video, please.
I did. It just seems like a clinical exercise that takes away the joy of just playing and trying to figure something out.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:10 pm I did. It just seems like a clinical exercise that takes away the joy of just playing and trying to figure something out.
People will be figuring things out like: how does this chord sound vs chord X? They're just not getting down with where each note is at that particular time.

Are devices like the Suzuki Omnichord also verboten in your view? Or is it just a computer technology thing?

harryupbabble wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:53 pm and what happens if you get arthritis or can't afford a piano or replace broken guitar strings?
I still wouldn't need any kind of chord generator to make choices for me. I can input notes manually into the piano roll because I know what I'm doing. Not in terms of music theory, but through experience of the intervals and chords/scales, and knowing how instruments work.

but but but chord gun is not making choices for you. you still have to select the chords. check out the video, please.
From a restricted pre-defined selection, as has been my point all along. There's no capacity for the out of the ordinary, or any kind of inventiveness in it, much less any kind of feel or emphasis.

hey if you make jimi Hendrix type music you too need electricity. also, the library rarely gets power failure when I go there to make music.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm hey if you make jimi Hendrix type music you too need electricity. also, the library rarely gets power failure when I go there to make music.
well, put it like that...
id imagine getting a guitar out in a library would be prowned upon? (outside of possible kids singalong type thing ocassionally)

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm From a restricted pre-defined selection, as has been my point all along. There's no capacity for the out of the ordinary, or any kind of inventiveness in it, much less any kind of feel or emphasis.
Isn't it just a Reaper script? You can bung any collection of notes in you like if you crack open the editor.

With things like Cthulhu you can mess with voicings and the rest to build stacks you'd need three hands to play otherwise. Like any tool, it's what you put into it.

Gamma-UT wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:59 pm
There's always live-coding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_coding

One thing that's missing from these more basic tools as far as I can tell is the easy ability to generate arbitrary chords on the fly on the computer keyboard (eg root or root+bass in the left hand, quality+extensions in the right). With the chord tools you pretty much have to fumble around hitting multiple buttons to get the one you want.
this is when you hope for a better software that may get developed soon or already exist but hard to find.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm
harryupbabble wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm hey if you make jimi Hendrix type music you too need electricity. also, the library rarely gets power failure when I go there to make music.
well, put it like that...
id imagine getting a guitar out in a library would be prowned upon? (outside of possible kids singalong type thing ocassionally)
hahaha okay I stringed those two sentences wrongly. headphones of course.

Gamma-UT wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:21 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm From a restricted pre-defined selection, as has been my point all along. There's no capacity for the out of the ordinary, or any kind of inventiveness in it, much less any kind of feel or emphasis.
Isn't it just a Reaper script? You can bung any collection of notes in you like if you crack open the editor.

With things like Cthulhu you can mess with voicings and the rest to build stacks you'd need three hands to play otherwise. Like any tool, it's what you put into it.
I suppose so. But you'd have to have a working knowledge to do that anyway.. Like I said, not against the technology at all, just the fact that it seems to be used in a very rudimentary way for the most part, to churn out (as far as I can see it) quite standardised and uninspired stuff, as a substitute putting in the effort to do something creative. Don't think Harry is quite getting the nuance of the arguments here..

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm

From a restricted pre-defined selection, as has been my point all along. There's no capacity for the out of the ordinary, or any kind of inventiveness in it, much less any kind of feel or emphasis.
not anti-joy here or anything like that. there is also the joy of making music with hardly any gear at all.

have to scooter out ta here for now. will re-read later on. tally ho ladies and gents.

harryupbabble wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:30 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm

not anti-joy here or anything like that. there is also the joy of making music with hardly any gear at all.
Indeed..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, Jimi Hendrix would not have been able to make music at all if he had no electricity...

tbh, im terrible at making decisions.
to the point ill buy several of the same pair of trousers and hoodies, just to save deciding what to wear :oops:
it's also probably the reason i still dress like i did when i was 19 :lol:

by less gear i meant a laptop and a headphone. will fit in a backpack and plus the librarians are okay with that.

without googling it, name me one acoustic jimi hendrix song. and if you can do that then you are a superfan of jimi's?

i wonder what the original poster decided. something about doing both music theory and chord vst.

Return to “Music Theory”