what time signature suits 1/4T arp rate best?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what time signature suits 1/4T arp rate best?

4/4 or 8/4

Sorry if the T refers to triplets then rather 6/4 or 12/4 or 6/8

Triplets means three to a given duple pulse.

If you want the musical meaning of triplets, you want that 3:2 to 'scan'.

So, you could make it so the rate in the arpeggiator agrees with the pulse, but that isn't really the definition of triplets.
It would be the same feel as triplets against the two if there's the next level of dotted values, ie., 4 of them in 6 time.

And I don't know why you'd preclude 9 or 15 etc for the numerator anyway. It's a musical question, there is no one answer.

Triplet is a ternary sub-division of the tempo in an otherwise binary tempo sub-division. If you always have triplets, they are NOT triplets, but rather a ternary sub-division time signature, which can be 6/8, 9/8 or 12/8 (if we are talking of eight notes) or 6/4, 9/4 and 12/4 (if we are talking of quarter notes). In the first case, the tempo unit (the beat) is a dotted quarter note, while in the second case the tempo unit is a dotted half note.

Which time signature to choose, in this case, depends on the musical phrases and how the develop. We cannot know without listening to the arpeggio.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks all.
More experimentation to do.

Typically the plugin will read the tempo of the host, or can be set to ignore it. So the former being true, the indication 1/4T means triplets, 6 to a bar of 4/4.
Put simply, as opposed to simple 1/4, 4:4.

Set to ignore, or a 'sync' toggle at off, you could be more experimental which may drive you to do some basic arithmetic.

Regarding what Fernando said about the metronome default (pulse is given in dotted values) for compound time vis a vis my comment on doubling the dotted values:
if you have 6 ticks eg., 6/8, that's 6:2 or 3:1. 6 8ths to 2 dotted quarters.
3:1 may not even be triplets. 3:2 is triplets, so in notating that for 6/8 you write dotted eighths, now we've a 6:4 or 3:2.
The polyrhythm of this is also seen as hemiola.

Hemiola: I want to be in A mer, i, ca = 2 dotted quarters, 3 quarters.
This is a feature in Afro-Cuban rhythm for instance.

Return to “Music Theory”