How do you keep note of any ideas for melodies when you're out and about?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I try humming random melodies and ideas into my phone's voice recorder, and was wondering what everyone else does to remember those ideas?

I've done the classic grab a napkin and write it down in a hurry, in a cafe.

I have a system based in 'sa re ga ma', Indian solfege, and a way of shorthand notating rhythm. If it's a more chromatic, complicated idea I'm kind of screwed there, but I would tend to have the more 'solid' melody I'm actually singing more modally. I'm just more comfortable singing those syllables vs the tonal mentality solfege places me in.

I developed a sort of memory for melodic lines through this and a little bit of mental discipline. And if I forget, I forget, there's other lines coming. But, I had a couple of really good rock tunes come to me with lyrics all at once and these were ideas I had to write down as 'important'. I keep a pen in my purse.

More recently I kept my laptop with me at all times and was headed into the library or a cafe to work on music anyway.

If I happen to get a musical idea while somewhere other than my home and it happens to be good, it tends to stick to my brain. Then I just try not to lose it during the day, and as soon as I reach my computer, I write it down in Guitar Pro.

I should get into the habit of recording them as well, though.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

CircuitTree wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm I try humming random melodies and ideas into my phone's voice recorder...
In addition to this I will also try and record the events that led up to that idea and the triggers. That way I can try and recreate the thought sequence later on. Be it another song, time of day, location, activity, lighting or whatever. And when I record I do a rhythm and melody if time allows.

Phone helps a lot these days .I record everything in a sec ...

UncleAge wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:34 pm
CircuitTree wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm I try humming random melodies and ideas into my phone's voice recorder...
In addition to this I will also try and record the events that led up to that idea and the triggers. That way I can try and recreate the thought sequence later on. Be it another song, time of day, location, activity, lighting or whatever. And when I record I do a rhythm and melody if time allows.
That’s pretty smart, I never thought about using previous activities to recall my memory!

Writing it down on a paper.
IMO this is perfectly normal.

Nothing. Maybe I sing it a few times. If it is any good, it will stick. If not, it is probably not worth remembering...

sfd wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:36 pm Writing it down on a paper.
Wish I knew some theory to do this.

Hum it into voice recorder like you, or if it's more complicated put it into Caustic, which can export MIDI. Actually do this more when I wake up in the middle of the night so I can go back to sleep.

CircuitTree wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:51 pm
not always necessary, if you create your own short hand.
draw melodies using lines, rhythms using x's on squared paper...
anything that will give you a rough idea.

but, if you wish you knew some theory, why don't you learn?
some people aren't interested, that's fine, id never tell anyone its essential to create music (course it can help...) but if you as you say, wish, you did know it, then there is only one thing stopping you.

I do the phone thing all the time, if it's just a melody. sometimes I say the chord(s) I imagine under it if it's not obvious from the melody. And, personally, nearly all my ideas I consider good I would have forgotten about if I hadn't recorded them. The bonus is then I can sift through all these things, sometimes going back years while I'm walking the dog etc and surprise myself with some promising idea I'd forgotten about. Most of those are quick sketches with guitar or piano and voice, not just voice. If I come up with an idea at home I'll do the phone thing rather than fire up some software etc to record it.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:33 pm
CircuitTree wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:51 pm
not always necessary, if you create your own short hand.
draw melodies using lines, rhythms using x's on squared paper...
anything that will give you a rough idea.

but, if you wish you knew some theory, why don't you learn?
some people aren't interested, that's fine, id never tell anyone its essential to create music (course it can help...) but if you as you say, wish, you did know it, then there is only one thing stopping you.
Learning theory is the next step for me :) Right now, I am learning how to master my daw completely and getting better at synthesis. For now, most of my music has been in the same key but hopefully that changes soon.

You can play/record it in some virtual piano on a phone.

CircuitTree wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm I try humming random melodies and ideas into my phone's voice recorder, and was wondering what everyone else does to remember those ideas?
Recorder on the phone.. Those faces in public places where I "UAAAAAUUUU digi digi bräääääyyyyyymmmmm PRRRRRRRRR Wub wub iauiiiiii" :oops:

Return to “Music Theory”