Cool Wall Poster with Guitar Chord Fingerings (Basic and Extended)

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So recently I found this wall poster for referencing guitar chord fingerings and hung it up in my practice space. Not only does it look gorgeous but it helps to save a lot of time instead of flipping through all my dang chord books haha.

https://www.roedyblack.com/collections/ ... ords-chart

Alternatively, you could just learn the fretboard, and be able to work out any chord without having to walk over to a spot on the wall and look at a really tiny (7/16" or ~1cm) diagram.

If you know how to spell a chord, and you know where all the notes are on the fretboard, the rest should be pretty self explanatory. This poster seems like more of a crutch than an actual learning tool. But I'm sure someone will let me know how wrong my dumb opinion is, as usual.

funky lime wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 pm Alternatively, you could just learn the fretboard, and be able to work out any chord without having to walk over to a spot on the wall and look at a really tiny (7/16" or ~1cm) diagram.

If you know how to spell a chord, and you know where all the notes are on the fretboard, the rest should be pretty self explanatory. This poster seems like more of a crutch than an actual learning tool. But I'm sure someone will let me know how wrong my dumb opinion is, as usual.

well, its this or the tennis player scratching her ass.
this is probably slightly more useful...

this limits one to only tuning to standard tuning
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

i guess if it helps it helps.
and given my bare white walls i have no room to speak :hihi:

Well, in terms of a Music Theory ideation, when you know how the chords are built, fingerings on the fretboard are no longer so mysterious. You can roll your own.

jancivil wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:34 am Well, in terms of a Music Theory ideation, when you know how the chords are built, fingerings on the fretboard are no longer so mysterious. You can roll your own.
this is true.
but we all start somewhere i guess, when i first started out i had one of those guitar case chord dictionaries.

doesn't matter anyway, i just noticed at the top of the pic "the worlds only complete..." and he has it. :(
guess ill stick with white walls and tennis lady...

There are likely many other charts which make a similarly bold [and clueless] claim...

I counted 42 types of chord.

And noticed that all of them use all 6 strings of the guitar, producing some questions as well as some real finger-busters.
I seriously recommend abstracting the intervals of every/any chord in any such list and figuring out what is really useful for you.

jancivil wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:00 pm There are likely many other charts which make a similarly bold [and clueless] claim...

I counted 42 types of chord.

And noticed that all of them use all 6 strings of the guitar, producing some questions as well as some real finger-busters.
I seriously recommend abstracting the intervals of every/any chord in any such list and figuring out what is really useful for you.
This poster is good for having more voicings to pull out quickly when you are stuck in a rut with songwriting. Of course knowing intervals is important as well.

A chord chart is very good for beginners, imo. All I had when I started was a circular chord chart that showed the circle of 5ths with the relative minor chords for each major chord. And a tuning fork. I had enough theory from playing the organ since I was 9 to be able to formulate chord inversions almost straight away.

Exotic jazz chords, I get a little lost in the nomenclature.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Just for example of the need to use all six strings for every chord on all 12 tones as not necessarily the best move:
You have this chord name 'sus2'; so in reaching to do this for eg., C you have G in the bass. So the chord is G C D. It sounds like a Gsus4. It's true that any sus2 may be seen as a sus4 from a different root, an ambiguity exists per se. So you consider it from the root. There is your use value for the chord and chord name.

It really is better to get a fuller understanding of how chords are constructed and practice thought; and learn to roll your own, even.

I agree, but, when starting out, I found it helpful to just learn the chords to songs I wanted to play and sing. Learning an instrument should be fun, imo, and not just study and learning to shred scales and modes. Once the dexterity is good enough to mangle your left hand into jazz chords, then fine. That is my experience. I am self-taught, but, in retrospect, I would've advanced far more quickly with a good teacher.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Sure. But the thing purports to be exhaustive. As to contorting your hand, I looked at this thing, there are some right fingerbusters over to the right there. One commendable thing is, it is extensive enough to maybe get you thinking 'wtf is this thing', and now consider how that one is built.

I only had lessons in classical, and by then I was a fairly adept guitarist. I had to have my left hand position corrected somewhat, in order to be able to do that stuff.

How does this help banjo players?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Personally my POV is learning _is_ fun.

But as to critiquing this poster, it's the bloody music theory forum, it's not up for music theory discussion? IE: is there a question?
What about that inversion issue? G C D G C F; looks like G is the root to me, not C, like I said. :shrug:

All 6 strings all the time, yeah, no.

Return to “Music Theory”