Question about software and Key value.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am a total newbie and I am using cubase mediabay.
On mediabay there is one filter option called KEY.
It display the key of the samples i.e. C D E etc.

What I don't understand is why it doesn't show if it's minor or major.

Example: If I am on C minor can I use the filter C without problem or it does refer to C major only?

Many thanks.

If there really is no minor option you might want to look at Eb major for C minor; ie., same key signature.
It would tend to depend some on the media, however. I mean some vendors might include the parallel minor under eg, "C".

mementus wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 pm Hi, I am a total newbie and I am using cubase mediabay.

Because they are single notes, not chords.

mementus wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 pmExample: If I am on C minor can I use the filter C without problem or it does refer to C major only?
Many thanks.
You can use the note C in Cmaj or Cmin. The difference between the two keys becomes evident once you fill in the remaining notes.

Eg:------Cmaj notes are -> C D E F G A B
whereas Cmin notes are -> C D Eb F G Ab Bb

The notes that differ between the two keys are in bold.

Hooj wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:16 am
mementus wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 pm Hi, I am a total newbie and I am using cubase mediabay.

Because they are single notes, not chords.
"the key of the samples i.e. C D E etc."

Keys are major or minor. The key is given as a single letter name and perhaps followed by the word "minor" when it applies. EG: C minor. "mementus" reports that Mediabay does not provide the distinction major v. minor. Since you apparently have this, it's kind of a mystery why your first sentence is a non sequitur. :scared:

Yes, the key of C minor has 3 flats [as does Eb major], in its most basic form. There are two other forms of minor in common practice.

It's unknown (sans an investigation) whether every product found in Mediabay tagged <key of C> is major or what.

In real life, I could call 'key of C' for a blues, or just as a basic orientation to begin from.

C minor is parallel minor to C major.
C minor is the relative minor of Eb major. This is all easily available via a google search; but the actual question regards Cubase (or Nuendo) Mediabay which is reported to have only the letter name per tags. And I didn't feel like checking, taking the OP at their word.

Return to “Music Theory”