I'm learning to play, what are your tips/recommendations?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At the moment, I'm learning to play keyboard and fingerdrum. I've studied music theory in depth so I've been learning purely from a composition and improvisation perspective so far.

Currently I practise by finding a rhythm using a chord and a melodic note separated by an octave or more. It could be bass with chord above, or chord in the 3rd octave with melody above. I find a nice rhythmic/percussive pattern between them and repeat the rhythm while I improvise the notes. I'm getting some good results that way.

I'm looking for more suggestions to help speed up my progress though. Also, regarding finger drumming. I'm only at a point were I'm tapping out fairly basic rhythms.

Edit: It would be really wonderful to find a resource that teaches an instrument to a person who can already play another instrument, so we could cut the theory, speak the language and save everyone some time.

If you have a Korg controller the software bundle includes Skoove and Melodics, designed to teach keyboard and finger drumming.

https://korg-license-center.com
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am If you have a Korg controller the software bundle includes Skoove and Melodics, designed to teach keyboard and finger drumming.

https://korg-license-center.com
Thanks for the suggestion. The paradigm here is that I'm drawn away from the computer. I'd quite like not to have to switch my music 'on' some day. There's nothing to say I can't use a computer to learn, but I aim to break that attatchment so better start there as far as I'm concerned.

Decide exactly what you want to learn and stick with it. There's no end to learning.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I playing something repetitively, relying upon happy accidents and experimentation to build muscle memory and variations. Next day I can always play it better with less warm up.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

This may surprise you but... Practice :hyper:

For keyboard, Bartok Mikrokosmos.

153 progressive piano studies/pieces in six volumes...

look into it anyway. little exercises for hand and finger independence, interval awareness etc but musical

This book is kind of the bible of piano/keyboard technique. If you start slow with the first few exercises it is probably a good place to start for beginners:

https://www.amazon.com/Hanon-Virtuoso-E ... 0793525446
Last edited by seangm on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just as well you're not learning to fly. I'd hate to think what tips/recommendations would be suggested.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 pm Just as well you're not learning to fly. I'd hate to think what tips/recommendations would be suggested.
if he was learning to fly, it would really be his own fault if anything went wrong.
asking in the music theory forum.

off topic would get the best advice for flying :) :ud:

Playing piano poorly is not a danger to populations living below their piano. And so I doubt any forum would be the ideal place to learn to perform something this consequential.

But I rather do suppose one can learn how to type dull snark on any forum; albeit prior training in typing may provide a smoother experience doing so.

:)

I would get “the real book” and learn to voice lead through some chord changes. Doesn’t have to be perfect, just get in the ball park.

Then maybe get this book that I believe is titled “first lessons in Bach”. It will teach you some independence between your hands.

Hanon method is very good, but i would rank it under the other two books in terms of importance. It’s just technique excercises, and if you’re operating on limited time, I would just learn techniques as they come up in actual pieces of music.
Last edited by stillshaded on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In a manner of speaking, you should be able to fly through those books.

Thanks for all the responses, each intriguing in it's own way. Thanks for the book suggestions, I will look into them. I've purchased a book lately called "The Rhythm Bible" by Dan Fox, and I'll be exploring these rhythms while at the keyboard and drum machine, methodically at first and hopefully, freely, fluidly and at will as time passes by.

I'm actually getting to terms with playing in time lately, I'm attempting to visualise the rhythm of the sheet as I play and make live editions or variations. I feel like once I get my mind syncronised to the bar, I'll be pretty free in terms of rythm and melody, but we shall see.

Are those of you that play, consciously aware of the bar line and the meter at all times?

Return to “Music Theory”