Good resource for learning piano?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a guitarist and I want to learn piano/keyboard to improve my composition. I don't wanna be a virtuoso or anything, just wanna be able to connect the chords properly and be able to play bass, chords and melodies at the same time. Any course that you would recommend? Something with an emphasys in (synth) orchestral and popular music as oppossed to classical and jazz piano. Thanks!

I would just hire someone for like $75 an hour or whatever to teach you. My nieces take piano lessons and pretty sure they are even cheaper than that.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Dunno, are you also looking for sight reading?
What about.
Play Piano today - a course with pattern playing being the main emphasis, some required theory is included.
Scales, chords, harmony and rhythm for example.

Almost sure they have regular sales and offer a free sample pack.

Might have to look elsewhere if your looking for notation.
I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

https://youtu.be/BJHpXJtG5uI

There should be plenty of free stuff on Youtube and the web.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

1) Piano

2) Youtube

If you want to see how the chords from the guitar to the keyboard translate, you can use these excellent free vst plugins to show you.

https://www.amplesound.net/en/download.asp
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Get a teacher at first to at least tech you the basics like proper fingering, wrist position, etc. Afterwards you can teach yourself from the many resources on YouTube. They don't provide feedback though, so you'll want at least a few lessons first.

There is a huge difference between what you want to know and what you need to know. Trust me I'm going through the same transition as I attempt to master the linnstrument.

If you know how to play chords on a guitar then you know how to identify the notes of the chord. You should therefore be able to go to the keyboard and find those same notes push the keys and play the same chord. It may not how a piano instructor may teach you but it has some logical foundation.

Endless midi based programs have a keyboard view. If you have such software you can play a midi file and it will display where to play the notes. Learning software such as melodics doesn't even supply one with standard piano roll or notation. simply dropping notes on the keys at the appropriate time. While you can learn some things via this method mostly it's about timing. It's not something that can carry you forward.

Most if not all midi based software also provide notation view. If you have the option for piano roll display or notation view go for notation. Notation is only hard if you are lazy. In fact playing is easier, theory makes more sense and you'll advance in your technique faster if you start learning notation early and maintain learning via notation.
I was once a young guitarist who learned quickly enough to get by and all my idols didn't read notation. So I was stubborn and stupid and didn't think I would need it either. I'd learned enough by watching friends and having a pretty good ear. But then came a point where I couldn't go any further on my own. I finally bought a little book on how to read music and took classes.
Those lessons took my playing further in 6 months than I'd achieved in years trying to work things out on my own.... So you are on the right path wanting to learn more.

As for teachers.
When you start out technique and timing are everything. Learning proper technique early is a lot more effective than playing sloppily and trying to correct yourself later on. Course-ware/tutor software is not going to stand over your shoulder and tell you no that's not the proper way to approach the instrument. Method X is better than what you are doing.

A good teacher will help you with defining a starting point to build your skills. If you have to start from zero that's fine. But if you carry on from some musical skills you already have that's fine too. The two biggest things when starting out are timing and technique. As well they will couple what they teach you with modern interactive tutor learning software.

Here are my thoughts on the interactive learning software products that I've had experience with.
All of these have a game like quality to them. They measure how well you perform hitting the right note at the right time for the right amount of time and display a score. This scoring method actually makes people practice longer and keeps them playing regularly (daily) It's very addicting and makes learning more fun.

Melodics - http://melodics.com
I've been using melodics for awhile now. but mostly to develop my grid playing (Launchpad Pro) It's helped me incredibly with my drumming skills. It's very game like. My LP pro skills have improved immeasurably. It's the skills I can easily take to my daw such as Ableton Live or Mixcraft and lay down beats with I've also tried out the keyboard lessons as well. The keyboard lessons while addicting really aren't taking me where I want to go musically on my linnstrument (because there is no equivalent instrument like it to learn on) As well there is no standard notation. It's notes dropping down on a keyboard layout. There is a loop feature which displays the notes in piano roll form however... When using two hands techniques the lower display is for the right hand and the upper is for the left. Which is the reverse of piano roll or standard notation.
The study material is mostly about EDM and hiphop. While I have nothing against either I have nothing for as well. While the grid controller lessons were things I'd take and make a part of my everyday playing away from practicing I really have had no interest in applying what little keyboard skills I've learned in melodics to playing outside of it.

Aside from melodics these are all basically browser plugins as opposed to standalone apps.

Playground Sessions -
https://www.playgroundsessions.com

I have no experience with this software. I don't like the fact that there isn't a free trial. I love Quincy Jones. Loved the TV and movies scores he did. Loved all the material he produced through the 80's He's a great composer / arranger / musician / producer. As for Harry Connick Jr. Have his CD's seen him in concert numerous times. It's prolly a great product and I think the subscription rates are good for what they offer. All that being said I don't like products that don't provide trial software.

Yousician - https://yousician.com/
Yes the bouncy ball app. But you can change that. I've played around with the trial software for about two days now. I don't like the fact that it is limited to a 7 day trial.
Lesson time is limited on the trial version....
I really don't like the child like display. It doesn't separate practice from performance. Everything you do is scored. I also don't like the time limit on practicing. Apparently you have to purchase the app if you want more practice time.
For some reason it tracks input better than other browser plugins. I do like the fact that it evaluated my performance and then made me take skills tests to see if I could advance. If I failed the test then I got sent back to study basics. I think it's an okay program and the monthly subscription price is worth it. Though I'd rather pay once for the entire year. I don't like the fact that it uses real audio in the background. If you change the tempo the background music sounds horrible.

Piano Marvel. http://pianomarvel.com
So far I'm liking this program most and it may be the one I go with. Firstly price it allows for either monthly or yearly susbscription and at $110.99 a year it's a great value for what they offer.
If you are a windows user you will need either chrome or firefox to access the program. They say FF handles it better. I tried FF and Chrome works better for me.

30 day trial for the win. Though they do offer less options for the trial user it's still more than plenty to keep one occupied. I like the videos that accompany lessons. I also like the fact that the program allows you to play the notes in order before having to commit to playing a lesson. Unlike other software I was introduced to playing with two handed technique early on with Piano Marvel. Other features I like are that as a purchaser you are allowed to download the midi files rather than just pdf's of the lessons.
The only partial negative is that the program is somewhat lax for catching bad timing. Where as medlodics is deadly accurate you can slip a little behind or ahead of the beat in Piano Marvel and it won't beat you up with it. Youcican actually gives you pop ups that show if you are ahead or behind the beat. Piano Marvel only really notices if you are practically on top of the next or previous beat. I like the user interface for piano marvel. Controls stay hidden till you need them. The screen is simply laid out so you can focus on the score.

I've started at the beginning with piano marvel. It's mostly about building technique and rhythm with a little ear training. It's boring. it's slow. It's good for setting a strong foundation.

Conclusion.
So far it's Piano Marvel for me. That being said I would suggest you try yousician as well.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

What about Synthesia? It's a game for learning piano.

Here's my story. Maybe helpful or not; I certainly don't mean to imply it is the only way that works. I tried learning piano from books and then online resources for about 20 years, and, although I could play a few recognizable songs, I could not just sit down at a piano and play well enough to be paid. I then tried a few lessons with a physical teacher who showed me my hand position was wrong, my posture was wrong, my elbow movement while playing was wrong - pretty much all the stuff I never paid attention to was wrong. She showed me the feeling of the wrist-drop, how to lead with the elbow, how to feel the weight balance along my shoulder.

I'm not denying the value of online course materials - I am working through PianoWithWillie.com and find it fantastic - but without starting with a live teacher I'd never be playing out in a rock covers band now. (Pro players may dislike playing weddings, but I find them an awesome rush!)

Musiah have trial-periods. It was quite fun actually.

https://www.musiah.com/

Nothing is ever going to beat a teacher but I've really been enjoying yousician. It's both a desktop and mobile app that picks up your piano via a microphone or midi cable. It's got three lanes of learning, pop, classical, and theory and does a pretty good job of progressing at a good pace through each one. Their normal plan includes a bunch of classical music and music heavily inspired by specific rock/pop artists and songs. You may not need the extra incentive since you already play an instrument but when starting out, having other instruments play other parts of the song along with me on the piano really helped me feel like I was playing a song and not just some notes.

Why not Banjo?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Playground Sessions is a great platform for learning how to play the piano. It's somewhat akin to the video game Rocksmith but for the piano, and gives you direct feedback as you play and lessons that become progressively harder.

Note that you need a MIDI keyboard to be able to interact with the software.

And as tapper mike mentioned a in his post above, there is no free trial. You either have to pay for a monthly fee or a lifetime membership. Although they do come up with sales fairly regularly for the lifetime membership fee.

Anyways, might be worth a look.

Best, get a teacher and seek advice once you start learning online.

Return to “Music Theory”