Why a C6 is not an Am7?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I should clarify one thing you said, as regards the original poster and questions, appearing to state E minor harmony isn't "C major key"; it exists of course in C major key as its iii chord.

But one thing on my mind as I examine the chord in the OP. In addition to context, it may be that the voicing of the harmony can give it one identity as opposed to the other. (I started thinking based in seeing E as the bass.)

For instance E G A C, or (more so) E A C G sounds like an A minor (7); this is because of the acoustical properties of E A in the given proximity of these two (P4, and not P11).

E C G A on the other hand appears to me more as a C harmony owing to the voicing of E C (apparently indicating the 6 chord) in that proximity; w. the impression of G A above that being that of an added sixth. Hence C add6.

Yes, of course, Em is the III chord in C major, so an E minor chord is still within its tonality but it does not serve the same function as in Em where it is tonic. Thus, it will be perceived differently according to tonal context. In this case, we presumed C minor was the key, and that was more for the principle ^^^^ of it, I guess. Thus, any chord that could be understood as either I, IV or V variations or inversions should at least be named accordingly to consolidate both key and function to the reader. However, it may be hard to decide which name to use if we only look at progressions of a few chords, and even more so, if we consider one chord in isolation only. We need the root to make it easier.

Anyway, our not so excused friend messed it up regardless of whatever key he was in.

I'm not sure why I bothered to read the four pages of this post, because like the average listener I neither understand or care about music theory. As far as I'm concerned ignorance is bliss, if it sounds good I don't give a shit how many rules it breaks. Three simple triads (C,F,and G) are responsible for much of popular music. I rather be Muddy Waters than Mozart. I guess I should be envious,but I feel more pity, maybe y"all are musically correct, but it comes off more clinical than passionate. Unleash your wrath on me but it is wasted. :tu:

excuse me please wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am To make a long story short: depends on the root note.
E-G-A-C could be perceived as an Em sus4 #5 chord. As G-A-C-E could be perceived as a G 6/9 sus 4 chord. Especially when the root note is about an octave lower.
More like making a short story into a very confusing epic full of narrative inconsistencies and plot flaws! :0)

What on earth are you going on about?

E-G-A-C could be perceived as an Em sus4 #5 chord. = utter nonsense to anyone who actually knows even a little bit about music.

G-A-C-E could be perceived as a G 6/9 sus 4 chord. = someone trying to be clever and messing up big time!

All you are doing is potentially confusing the OP + showing the many experienced and highly trained musicians on this forum that you have very little knowledge...

That's fine, nothing wrong there, but why jump in on a topic when you clearly don't actually understand the subject very well?

Karma_tba wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:06 pm I'm not sure why I bothered to read the four pages of this post, because like the average listener I neither understand or care about music theory. As far as I'm concerned ignorance is bliss, if it sounds good I don't give a shit how many rules it breaks. Three simple triads (C,F,and G) are responsible for much of popular
Sorry mate but I think you are in the wrong thread. We are talking about correct/optimal notation and thus communication, not rules of composition.

Stating your paradox between your choice of threads about music theory and simultanous lack of interest thereof would actually make more sense in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=510908&start=90
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am unarmed in a war of knowledge and expertise...but it means nothing if it doesn't produce tangible results. Your obscurity is telling.

Karma_tba wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:38 pm ...but it means nothing if it doesn't produce tangible results.
This thread is about communicating the tangible results to fellow musicans, so we are already pass this phase. Once again, I think you are in the wrong thread.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:40 pm
Karma_tba wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:38 pm ...but it means nothing if it doesn't produce tangible results.
This thread is about communicating the tangible results to fellow musicans, so we are already pass this phase. Once again, I think you are in the wrong thread.
Obviously you miss my point...please provide a link to your latest platinum hit. I have no interest in communication ...unless it is a bank deposit.

https://chordify.net/pages/db-or-c-who- ... jam-to-it/
Last edited by Karma_tba on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karma_tba wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:45 pm
Obviously you miss my point...please provide a link to your latest platinum hit. I have no interest in communication ...unless it is a bank deposit.
No I get your point and it has no place in this thread, so you do not really make a point. My hits or anyones else’s dependence on music theory is not the topic. But I see you cannot help your urge to write about your dilemmas, not giving shit about music theory and yet reading four pages without knowing what they are about and now you keep responding to my posts but do not want to communicate. Are you sure you are alright, mate? Need help?

IncarnateX wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 am
Karma_tba wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:45 pm
No I get your point and it has no place in this thread, so you do not really make a point. My hits or anyones else’s dependence on music theory is not the topic. But I see you cannot help your urge to write about your dilemmas, not giving shit about music theory and yet reading four pages without knowing what they are about and now you keep responding to my posts but do not want to communicate. Are you sure you are alright, mate? Need help?
https://chordify.net/pages/db-or-c-who- ... jam-to-it/

:clap: That is a very intelligent approach. Who gives a damn whether composers can communicate their music to an orchestra or a band? They should rather make a private jam on youtube having no clue about what they are doing, for that will sound better by default.

So, will this be enough for you to go troll elsewhere?

I would love to continue watch you get your panties in a bunch ….but the Patriots are about to play the KC Chiefs so...….

Lovely, go watch them then. Don’t forget the beers (though you seem well prepared already).

IncarnateX wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:13 am Lovely, go watch them then. Don’t forget the beers (though you seem well prepared already).
@IX Please remember my first post was not directed at you, but you chose to pick up the gauntlet... :hihi: :party: :clap:

Nite all...…..

Return to “Music Theory”