force all midi notes into a single octave?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a tool / program / plugin that will look at a source midi file and render all of the various pitches into a single octave..

eg. let's say my chosen octave is C3-B3, if there's an F5 (or any other F) in the music I want it displayed as an F3 - and so on for all the other pitches.

So basically, all notes grouped by pitch 'class' in a single octave.

No other changes to the layout are necessary - ie. the rhythm stays the same etc.

It's for some harmonic analysis I'm doing

Anyone know a tool that will do this?

It would be great if it's a DAW plugin for Cubase as that's what I mostly use.

I'm on PC.

It's a good exercise to analyse the piece as it is. It just take practice.
About the tool you're after I don't know any.

It's a good exercise to analyse the piece as it is. It just take practice.
About the tool you're after I don't know any.

bluemoves wrote:I'm looking for a tool / program / plugin that will look at a source midi file and render all of the various pitches into a single octave..

eg. let's say my chosen octave is C3-B3, if there's an F5 (or any other F) in the music I want it displayed as an F3 - and so on for all the other pitches.

So basically, all notes grouped by pitch 'class' in a single octave.

No other changes to the layout are necessary - ie. the rhythm stays the same etc.

It's for some harmonic analysis I'm doing

Anyone know a tool that will do this?

It would be great if it's a DAW plugin for Cubase as that's what I mostly use.

I'm on PC.

Not aware of anything that does exactly this, but it won't take that long doing it manually in a PIANO ROLL style view.

Otherwise, just analyse the file as it stands, either by eye or ear!

There's a midi plug in which will do this (used it to convert midi played on a guitar to a mandolin range before, and it works really well) called 'midi force to range' by 'insert piz here'. Unfortunately they seem to have gone away and the site is down, but someone in this thread found the cached versons. I'd get them now, some really useful stuff!

viewtopic.php?p=6858702

It doesn't affect the MIDI, but Spiral is a visualization plugin that essentially lets you see what you're trying to get. There's a magware version (SpiralCM) that has been in the Computer Music archive for some years now.

Not sure this actually meets your needs, but it's pretty cool regardless.

I made a MIDI jsfx plugin which almost does what the op is asking. It converts notes in all octaves to 1 octave of VST parameters. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to modify it to output the notes.

It's called 'MIDI Note to Host Parameter - 1 octave' available here https://github.com/ThrashJazzAssassin/L ... aster/JSFX

Might work in cubase with ReaJS, included with https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Easily accomplished with Max or Pure Data.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

pizmidi forcerange
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

FL Studio's piano roll has a tool named Limit which transposes all pitches to a given range. Set the range to an octave and you're done. AFAIK FL Studio can be installed as a VST and used from within Cubase.

If you are interested in a tool for musical analysis, then have a look at music21: http://web.mit.edu/music21/. This is a Python library and can be used from the command line. It is free, can count pitches in a midi file and do a lot of other things but is not easy to use and requires some learning.

Return to “Music Theory”