FIND A SCALE(S) FROM A NR. OF CHOSEN NOTES -

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Does any one know If there is a software/program that would list scales based on a selected chosen number of notes on keyboard. I'm learning/playing/creating music by ear and that would help me to write/expand songs in a more organised way and fuse scales to create better compositions ( I hope).A short description of a scale would be a bonus.

Thank you in advance for a time to comment here and maybe some tips..cheers!. :?
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

The fact that you've posted your question in a musictheory forum tells me that you know that what you need is to learn music theory.
I know a few programs that can do just a small part of the job, everything else must be done by you but, without a minimum theory knowledge, it will be nearly impossible.
You can start by memorizing the major scales.

You don't need an app, simply use a chart with all the scales. Ex:
(source)

I found a great web site where I can find what I've been after. :

https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php

I was after a scale with my chosen by ear tones : A A# C#(Bb) D MAIN tones and I decided to add E...the result was D harmonic minor = D E F G A Bb C#

In addition I can see more results related to the scale like the Chords that fit in this scale:

...well ...great website - fantastic help with all the results dependin what you are after...

just wondering if there some sortware out there that would have similar options and more in it..
could be great fun creating stuff..

Cheers. ATS.
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

AcrossTheSky wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:35 pm Hi,

Does any one know If there is a software/program that would list scales based on a selected chosen number of notes on keyboard. I'm learning/playing/creating music by ear and that would help me to write/expand songs in a more organised way and fuse scales to create better compositions ( I hope).A short description of a scale would be a bonus.

Thank you in advance for a time to comment here and maybe some tips..cheers!. :?
I'm finishing the documentation of my updated Scale Suggestor II and it finds scales based on the notes you select on the GUI and within a MIDI file as well.
Notice that those notes are not just in D Harmonic Minor but are in other scale/keys as well.
That also include 8 note scales too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Do you not recognize the false spellings, or is it too hard to build an algorithm that can? Otherwise it looks like a smart motherf**ker. :D

For the group, check it out:
"Dorian #11": C D Eb F# G A Bb.

A seven-note scale has seven letter names. C D E F G A B. full stop.
Besides the total incorrectness for moving forward, it's quite hard on the eyes.

Software as a crutch rather than learning how things work at all is bad enough. This adds insult to injury. :cry:

Why do these need to have the mode names shoehorned in? #1 for instance may be thought of as 4th mode of G harmonic minor. G A Bb C D Eb F#. Satie Gnossienne #1 does it {originally F G Ab B C D Eb}.
This but with a b7 is the 'Gnossiennes mode'? I'm curious about that. There are 6 or 7 of those. #3 perhaps?

I think teaching how to fish is better than just giving them a fish. Go into "4th mode of minor", the meaning of, after they have a basic view of the layout of the land.

jancivil wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:20 pm Do you not recognize the false spellings, or is it too hard to build an algorithm that can? Otherwise it looks like a smart motherf**ker. :D

Besides the total incorrectness for moving forward, it's quite hard on the eyes.

Software as a crutch rather than learning how things work at all is bad enough. This adds insult to injury. :cry:

Why do these need to have the mode names shoehorned in? #1 for instance may be thought of as 4th mode of G harmonic minor. G A Bb C D Eb F#. Satie Gnossienne #1 does it {originally F G Ab B C D Eb}.
This but with a b7 is the 'Gnossiennes mode'? I'm curious about that. There are 6 or 7 of those. #3 perhaps?

I think teaching how to fish is better than just giving them a fish. Go into "4th mode of minor", the meaning of, after they have a basic view of the layout of the land.
In all your friends cell phones, one might have you down as jancivll, another as jcivil and another as civil but no matter the spelling, it has to be the same phone number to get a hold of you.

To get from point A to point B are different paths to certain people, not everyone has the same path.
There is no wrong or right way to finally get to point B.

You make it sound like chosing A# instead of Bb is just an opinion. Fact is though that a scale spelled "G A A# C" instead of "G A Bb C" is plainly wrong. It only shows your ignorance on the subject of scales.

An uneducated fool should be stopped from speading such misinformation. Flat bees are not sharp aas.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

ValliSoftware wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 pm
jancivil wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:20 pm Do you not recognize the false spellings, or is it too hard to build an algorithm that can? Otherwise it looks like a smart motherf**ker. :D

In all your friends cell phones, one might have you down as jancivll, another as jcivil and another as civil but no matter the spelling, it has to be the same phone number to get a hold of you.

To get from point A to point B are different paths to certain people, not everyone has the same path.
This is just bullshit and a great illustration of sophistry. It sounds to you or another ignorant like it makes sense but in fact it displays a failure to think the matter through. It's the lamest of analogies. There is no use value in any discipline of abbreviating a name. This is music theory and it's a field which you have produced a crutch for people that would prefer not to get a handle on it, enabling ignorance where knowledge is a key to a rich world of exploration.

It's going to hinder the person before very long at all. That you can't grok this... I can't even. It's just willfully ignorant.

edit: nevermind, this clearly is more of a rant than a dialogue.

Return to “Music Theory”