What one bit of Music Theory was really helpful that caused your songwriting to improve ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm oh, yes. lets go out and find wikipedia articles and start posting away
You could simply click on a user name and see a user's post history. You might find him talking about polyphony in his own words, even.

But no, you simply must posture, and in your abject and sorry desperation try and fabricate some impression that anyone that shoots you down can't know what they're on about, don't you. It sure is easier than meeting points with anything in the vicinity of reasoning or sense, isn't it. Just vapid as the day is long and too dishonest to recognize not all of the world is like you, knowing fuckall really.

Why would a person think to present this way? It's the internet and no one will ever get your name, isn't it. Just shitpost and rail at the sky. You're not competing in the realm of ideas. You can say "that's highly snob", but is that an argument?
You can't make one. You never have, evidently. You'd have to have been a D- student from way back if you can't sort your way through some reading and say something in the essay question come test time. Are you an inebriant? Do you drink yourself sloppy and come here to have a crap? What the hell, really.

punctuation
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stamped Records wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:26 pm Well, when it comes to electronic music, a loop to me is when one finds more than one instance of a sound/hit/note in the same place, anything that is already rhythmic, or anything that evolves or has a progression built into it. In dance music, the stuff is made of chunks, modular music if you will. I remember feeling very disappointed and even angered when I realised that people weren't making this stuff. It had never crossed my mind that it would be made of chunks. Maybe it's just because I come from a creative family, father a carpenter and mother a dressmaker, sister a writer, brother a programmer, another sister a food scientist which is in some respect creative when used in a certain way. Anyways, point being, I never imagined my dad buying two halfs of a table and joining them together, or my mother finding one curtain and searching the entire city for another one to match. Creative is creative.

I guess that's just down to the variety of people in the world, there's them that are happy appearing with a result, and them that need that smile to be honest when they share it with the world.

It saddens me to say, that electronic music appears to be a cheater's paradise. I only need one book to learn to engineer, there is no book in the world that will teach you to create.
fair enough. so a loop to me is something i use as a form of sketching. for example, i have a collection of world music loops. i would refer to it and use it as a tool to throw into what i am doing to see if it works or not. but it would not make it into the final version. if i like the thing, i would re-create in myself by hand.

for example, i am looking for an idea of a rhythm in 2/4 or 6/8 time. i can dig though my CD collection and listen to stuff. i can dig through a library and look for stuff. i could check out a book and see if i find something. but its a lot faster and easier to stick the DVD into the drive, navigate through the loops i have that are labeled, and find and throw in an ethnic folk rhythm in blah blah time and see if it sticks. if it does, i use the ideas from that loop and re-create it manually. thats how i use it anyways.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:37 pm
IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm
(don't look at me. i never claimed to be any sort of master --- you did asswipe!)
No I did not wipe your ass and do not intend to. And I did not say I was a master, eliterate. Find someone who can read and let them read my post aloud for you to test your rubbish.
Hmm... that's really deep.

You know, your prose is getting more and more sophisticated with every post you make. Did you by any chance invest in some sort of fancy thesaurus app? Was it on sale or something?
Keep pretending. At a certain point you will believe it.

Time for you to go into the oblivion of cases that do not mean anything to anyone in any universe at any time ever. Hope you have enjoyed your fews moments of attention and thus moments of being, but the clowning act gets repetitive and boring. A story with no beginning, nor development, and certainly no end.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:42 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm oh, yes. lets go out and find wikipedia articles and start posting away
You could simply click on a user name and see a user's post history. You might find him talking about polyphony in his own words, even.

But no, you simply must posture and in your abject and sorry desperation try and fabricate some impression with bullshit that anyone that shoots you down can't know what they're on about, don't you. It sure is easier than meeting points with anything in the vicinity of reasoning or sense isn't it. Just vapid as the day is long and too dishonest to recognize not all of the world is like you, knowing fuckall really.

Why would a person think to present this way? It's the internet and no one will ever get your name, isn't it. Just shitpost and rail at the sky. You're not competing in the realm of ideas. You can say 'that's a real snob' position, but is that an argument?
You can't make one. You never have, evidently. You'd have to have been a D- student from way back if you can't sort your way through some reading and say something in the essay question come test time. Are you an inebriant? Do you drink yourself sloppy and come here to have a crap?i What the hell, really.
You know what. I could sit here and compose a 1,500 word post to try to reason with you and your side kick stimpy, and it would amount to a big fat zero. Why? Because you can't convince or change peoples minds on the Internet or on any forums. Hell, you can't even do it it real life.

And also, I fail to see where the snob and post accusations are coming from -- from my POV, you and stimpy followed me here from the other appreggio thread.

But hey, whatever. You are free to do what you want on the Internet.

And no, I ain't gonna waste my time sifting through stimpys posts to find that golden gem of hidden knowledge because , quite frankly, I am not that impressed by the stuff he posts. I have actually yet to see him post anything useful on any thread I have participated on KVR. If he's such a mind blowing ethnomusicologist, he can post his unique definition of polyphony himself.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:48 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:37 pm
IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm
(don't look at me. i never claimed to be any sort of master --- you did asswipe!)
No I did not wipe your ass and do not intend to. And I did not say I was a master, eliterate. Find someone who can read and let them read my post aloud for you to test your rubbish.
Hmm... that's really deep.

You know, your prose is getting more and more sophisticated with every post you make. Did you by any chance invest in some sort of fancy thesaurus app? Was it on sale or something?
Keep pretending. At a certain point you will believe it.

Time for you to go into the oblivion of cases that do not mean anything to anyone in any universe at any time ever. Hope you have enjoyed your fews moments of attention and thus moments of being, but the clowning act gets repetitive and boring. A story with no beginning, nor development, and certainly no end.
Stimpy..! give me some polyphony!!Or I will have to post the Nicky farts video. Did you see the one where the girl does the splits and farts right at the second she lands? It's gold.. pure gold baby!

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:45 pm
Stamped Records wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:26 pm Well, when it comes to electronic music, a loop to me is when one finds more than one instance of a sound/hit/note in the same place, anything that is already rhythmic, or anything that evolves or has a progression built into it. In dance music, the stuff is made of chunks, modular music if you will. I remember feeling very disappointed and even angered when I realised that people weren't making this stuff. It had never crossed my mind that it would be made of chunks. Maybe it's just because I come from a creative family, father a carpenter and mother a dressmaker, sister a writer, brother a programmer, another sister a food scientist which is in some respect creative when used in a certain way. Anyways, point being, I never imagined my dad buying two halfs of a table and joining them together, or my mother finding one curtain and searching the entire city for another one to match. Creative is creative.

I guess that's just down to the variety of people in the world, there's them that are happy appearing with a result, and them that need that smile to be honest when they share it with the world.

It saddens me to say, that electronic music appears to be a cheater's paradise. I only need one book to learn to engineer, there is no book in the world that will teach you to create.
fair enough. so a loop to me is something i use as a form of sketching. for example, i have a collection of world music loops. i would refer to it and use it as a tool to throw into what i am doing to see if it works or not. but it would not make it into the final version. if i like the thing, i would re-create in myself by hand.

for example, i am looking for an idea of a rhythm in 2/4 or 6/8 time. i can dig though my CD collection and listen to stuff. i can dig through a library and look for stuff. i could check out a book and see if i find something. but its a lot faster and easier to stick the DVD into the drive, navigate through the loops i have that are labeled, and find and throw in an ethnic folk rhythm in blah blah time and see if it sticks. if it does, i use the ideas from that loop and re-create it manually. thats how i use it anyways.
I get this, and in the long run, I have no doubt that you will learn from this. Personally, I need to feel inspired, I need to feel in my own mind what rhythm should go with what I'm doing. I struggle within myself, wondering if this is really me, have I really done this, has this come together out of intention or luck - not that I am death against luck in music, a lot of what I consider my best stuff has had it's fair share of luck, but luck in creativity comes with a dollop of guilt for me. I know deep down, that the real greats of music know what they are doing, rhythmically, and musically, and I see no reason that electronic music should be any different in terms of intent. I feel that all the assistance that is accepted when it comes to electronic music could be avoided simply by two people working together like every other form of music. The trouble is, it's only one man/woman that takes the bow at the end of an electronic piece.

"for example, i am looking for an idea of a rhythm in 2/4 or 6/8 time. i can dig though my CD collection and listen to stuff. i can dig through a library and look for stuff. i could check out a book and see if i find something. but its a lot faster and easier to stick the DVD into the drive,"

You show us you can't so much as have the idea of your own so you have to appropriate it from outside. This is the very proof of what I have said. You are using a crutch before you got up on your own feet to walk. When do you learn to use your own legs with a crutch from the cradle, as though you are lame. Cradle-to-grave, son.

At what point do you learn enough from replicating the idea to where you have the initiative to make it happen without the CD and the loops?

Until you do you'll never be talking about the same things a musician who is a self-starter is. So you find bullshit is some kind of weapon. You see a statement about the use of loops that resembles you and it's time to react and act out.
No, it isn't hurting anybody but yourself, you lie to yourself first.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In a nutshell, a selection, and a decision are two different things. We select in McDonald's, but a chef makes decisions. That's how I feel about it.

In saying that, every time I touch the keyboard or play in some drums, I'm lucky, because I have no idea what I'm doing or what's going to happen. I start like a pendulum, swinging around an idea and slowly come to rest on something that I feel is concrete. Skipping that process does not make one 'creative'. Evolving that process, step by step, year to year, makes one creative.

I will forever question, doubt and be unsatisfied by what I do, and it upsets me that people who do a lot less than me don't have that inclination.
Last edited by Stamped Records on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"luck" in creativity comes to a prepared mind. When you can't be arsed to come up with your own basics, to even start, how lucky can you be?

I'm arguing for having authentic thought processes if you're going to say you're creating something. Note well, if all someone does is that and they don't have any illusion they're doing more, it isn't any skin off of any part of me.

However, "Telecode", if you're going to post all day as if to dismiss ideas of people that have always done it all themselves, who have something to show for it, and all you have is bullshit, you are asking for it here.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Once upon a time, if you were going to present a track of yours, there was no NOT doing it yourself. If you couldn't manage the drums, you had someone who could. And if you had a real idea, you found a way to communicate your idea to the drummer. In my first recordings (16 or 17 years old), I and the singer both played drums and guitar, and I could do a pretty good bass part in addition to a happening guitar solo. He did all the vocal harmonies and the drums. There was no bullshitting yourself. There was no buy a disk, stick it in the drive and act like you're creating a track.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:24 pm "luck" in creativity comes to a prepared mind. When you can't be arsed to come up with your own basics, to even start, how lucky can you be?

I'm arguing for having authentic thought processes if you're going to say you're creating something. Note well, if all someone does is that and they don't have any illusion they're doing more, it isn't any skin off of any part of me. However if you're going to post all day as if to dismiss ideas of people that have always done it all themselves, who have something to show for it, and all you have is bullshit, you are asking for it here.

Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, but a phrase springs to mind from a snooker player, who said, 'the more I practise, the luckier I get'. I think that's true, so I'm not knocking luck, and one can learn a lot from luck, because it's actually a lot of luck at the end of the day because it's often unknown territory, that's the excitement. However, it's a balancing act between luck and intent, a lack of intent is the issue I have, as opposed to luck.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:28 pm Once upon a time, if you were going to present a track of yours, there was no NOT doing it yourself. If you couldn't manage the drums, you had someone who could. And if you had a real idea, you found a way to communicate your idea to the drummer. In my first recordings (16 or 17 years old), I and the singer both played drums and guitar, and I could do a pretty good bass part. He did all the vocal harmonies and the drums. There was no bullshitting yourself. There was no buy a disk, stick it in the drive and act like you're creating a track.
Precisely, I wish, oh how I wish we lived in those days, where everybody knew who did what. What you heard was what it was. Listen to Boards of Canada, two people did that, and yet people still excuse themselves with the term timesaver.

I don't even know how snooker works, but if you're a billiards player you can't rely on the right bank unless you're really practiced at making bank shots.
You might even get insane luck the once.

Googling the phrase gets:
More than a century ago, Louis Pasteur said, “Chance favors only the prepared mind.” By this he meant that sudden flashes of insight don't just happen— they are the products of preparation.

I agree. But, I think loops are in direct contradiction of the natural way. They are automatic luck.

I don't think it amounts to that. You have to make decisions and your chance of coherence and sense isn't improved at all through merely having material provided for you.

Return to “Music Theory”