What one bit of Music Theory was really helpful that caused your songwriting to improve ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:22 pm Anyway @teletubbie, when your ass tells you to spam a music theory forum with trailer park music journalism, is it really because it thinks that it has anything at all to say related to theory, or does it just want to troll due to inferiority complexes, you think?
Yeah. You da man. Go ahead and grace the community with a sample of your masterful polyphony so we can bask in it's glory. O grandmadter wizard of the tower of music .

So, did you watch that Nicky fart video or what? Funny, no?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Stamped Records wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 pm The side-effect is that the same highly skilled people who make loops have congested the music industry that they could have used to earn, but they may otherwise be unmusical and that's why they make loops in the first place, I dunno. All I know, is that there is a lot of work in making loops, I don't know how they do it to be honest. Are they raping their finished tracks for the loops or do they actually make them? I suspect that loops are an evolved thing more than a created thing, one loop evolves into ten loops over time sort of thing, perhaps.
personally, I have no objections to loops as such, and neither those who make the good ones. It is about those who abuse them and simply make a collage of something that they can hardly call their just own by organizing them in a certain ways. Pure loop bands. Making those loops can be a creative proces but it is fragmentet. A loop is not a finished tune, it is not made up of any finished idea. It is but an ambigious draft. Those who are about to make it into something coherent, did not make the loop are thus not creator of the draft or idea. They cannot finish it either, but just combine it with other loops that accidentally fit the collage. This is not music making but some kind of trial and error, where you are dependent on what other already gave you at hand. That is how you create completely soulless music. Nothing but lucky coincidences with nothing underneath. Music on cans that never really becomes music at all beyond organised sounds.

Stamped Records wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 pm All I know, is that there is a lot of work in making loops, I don't know how they do it to be honest. Are they raping their finished tracks for the loops or do they actually make them? I suspect that loops are an evolved thing more than a created thing, one loop evolves into ten loops over time sort of thing, perhaps.
I don't know. One day I figured to make some drum loops and maybe I could see if one thing led to another and a little bit of income. I found I was far too picky - and no workflow for it - to do it. It did end up being probably my most pedestrian track. It isn't worth it for me, I know that but that's me and my limitations.

I think it's a good question. I mean there are Peter Erskine 'grooves', ie., MIDIs via I think Platinum Samples. I never bought any MIDI myself. I wonder if some of them are part of say BFD3.

Recently I got ahold of 'other people's MIDI', Steve Vai's transcription of some Frank Zappa solo from some show, turned into a drum part but this is pretty abstruse stuff. And I cop to it, even as I did transform all but the first two licks.
I built my Satie adaptations off of notation-based MIDIs as literally a time-saver. But the stuff that remains verbatim is literally someone else's composition from a century and more ago, which is more or less what a classical musician does, create an interpretation, their phrasing and conception.

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 pm Yeah. You da man. Go ahead and grace the community with a sample of your masterful polyphony so we can bask in it's glory. O grandmadter wizard of the tower of music .
There you said it again. You are very attented to it, yes. Hmmm. What envy hurts most in this case: That you know that I know what the word signifies while you don’t or that I actually can do it, whatever the word signifies?

But there isn't any one definition of a loop, if we're going to talk intelligibly about it.

Like I said, the things you hit one key with "Thundersheets" loaded are even in the most simplest patch someone had to make it happen, and certain of them are longer and performances. I'm not shy about using them; it's not however a basic part of a construction, the piece is not built on it, it's an effect. I can't not call these 'loops' by the understood term.
A drum roll, a cymbal roll from one note-on is not different than a 'loop'. The phrases in a 'RA' are loops.

"loop" is a misnomer, though. Loop is when you attach the end to the beginning.

typoes
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hey if you're going to call people out, let's hear your work showing us how you had to get so busy so quick you needed teh loops, then, "Telecode".

Here's me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FK-RZWgwJk&t=48s

the piano part in the first section is all Satie and I didn't even have to play it. MIDI! The rest however I did by hand with a keyboard and with a drum controller, with which I made the piano work in a completely new way. Later there is original piano stuff.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 pm Yeah. You da man. Go ahead and grace the community with a sample of your masterful polyphony so we can bask in it's glory. O grandmadter wizard of the tower of music .
There you said it again. You are very attented to it, yes. Hmmm. What envy hurts most in this case: That you know that I know what the word signifies while you don’t or that I actually can do it, whatever the word signifies?
oh, yes. lets go out and find wikipedia articles and start posting away .. who can show who is the better googler 'round this town. sounds like so much fun. i can't wait.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm Hey if you're going to call people out, let's hear your work showing us how you had to get so busy so quick you needed teh loops, then, "Telecode".
actually, you got me there. i don't use loops. i make my weirdo sounding stuff by hand. :-(

and no, i don't use polyphony because a) i have no need for it b) i don't know how to make it. and c) last time i paid attention to it was in school when we covered it and it's just not my thing. i like other genres of classical music much more.

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm oh, yes. lets go out and find wikipedia articles and start posting away .. who can show who is the better googler 'round this town. sounds like so much fun. i can't wait.
Ah. Try to lower my musical education to your own level? Seems deparate to me, projector.

Now, wiki-theoretican. You do not really have anything to say and you keep losing these battles of wit because you are not anywhere near witty. So less witty that I do not have to be witty myself because you just keep shitting your pants and then ignore it for everyone to see.

Now, isn’t it about time you leave mom’s pc and go out with your friends, you know, smoke some crack, flay a cat, put a dog on fire, piss on a homeless or how friggin ever you modernist trailer park kids celebrate the day?

You are on the wrong forum and probably planet too.

jancivil wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:56 pm Here's me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FK-RZWgwJk&t=48s

the piano part in the first section is all Satie and I didn't even have to play it. MIDI! The rest however I did by hand with a keyboard and with a drum controller, with which I made the piano work in a completely new way. Later there is original piano stuff.
that's great sounding. and please don't take offense to this, but all this track shows is your mastery of making MIDI mimic the dynamics of traditional brass instrument sand acoustic piano.

also, and once agian, dont take offense. Its great music, but how in the world is this at all connected to modern contemporary genres of music which most loop users and most people on here are trying to make? be it EDM, hip-hop, rock, or even the Icelandic cinematic piano driven stuff ? This is good music but its very targeted and specific to a particular listener and audience. It's miles removed from popular piano driven genres like the Arnalds stuff..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFp6xnJbs0w

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:14 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm oh, yes. lets go out and find wikipedia articles and start posting away .. who can show who is the better googler 'round this town. sounds like so much fun. i can't wait.
Ah. Try to lower my musical education to your own level? Seems deparate to me, projector.

Now, wiki-theoretican. You do not really have anything to say and you keep losing these battles of wit because you are not anywhere near witty. So less witty that I do not have to be witty myself because you just keep shitting your pants and then ignore it for everyone to see.

Now, isn’t it about time you leave mom’s pc and go out with your friends, you know, smoke some crack, flay a cat, put a dog on fire, piss on a homeless or how friggin ever you modernist trailer park kids celebrate the day?

You are on the wrong forum and probably planet too.
fine, so go ahead and share your knowledge o grand master of music theory. post away and share with us your uniquely unique definition of what polyphony is so we can all be enlightened.

(don't look at me. i never claimed to be any sort of master --- you did asswipe!)

Well, when it comes to electronic music, a loop to me is when one finds more than one instance of a sound/hit/note in the same place, anything that is already rhythmic, or anything that evolves or has a progression built into it. In dance music, the stuff is made of chunks, modular music if you will. I remember feeling very disappointed and even angered when I realised that people weren't making this stuff. It had never crossed my mind that it would be made of chunks. Maybe it's just because I come from a creative family, father a carpenter and mother a dressmaker, sister a writer, brother a programmer, another sister a food scientist which is in some respect creative when used in a certain way. Anyways, point being, I never imagined my dad buying two halfs of a table and joining them together, or my mother finding one curtain and searching the entire city for another one to match. Creative is creative.

I guess that's just down to the variety of people in the world, there's them that are happy appearing with a result, and them that need that smile to be honest when they share it with the world.

It saddens me to say, that electronic music appears to be a cheater's paradise. I only need one book to learn to engineer, there is no book in the world that will teach you to create.

telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm
(don't look at me. i never claimed to be any sort of master --- you did asswipe!)
No I did not wipe your ass and do not intend to. And I did not say I was a master, eliterate. Find someone who can read and let them read my post aloud for you to test your rubbish.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm
telecode wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm
No I did not wipe your ass and do not intend to. And I did not say I was a master, eliterate. Find someone who can read and let them read my post aloud for you to test your rubbish.
Hmm... that's really deep.

You know, your prose is getting more and more sophisticated with every post you make. Did you by any chance invest in some sort of fancy thesaurus app? Was it on sale or something?

Return to “Music Theory”