What is 6A/Gm?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently uploaded a partial song on an online song key finder. The result?
My song is 6A/Gm.
Being a novice in these matters, I want to use the circle of fifths to find out where else I can go.

I believe Gm is G minor, but what the devil is 6A? And how do I implement these chords in the "circle?"

Again, I'm totally an idiot when it comes to understanding these things, so any help is greatly appreciated.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Gf5m8QF-GeM/U ... Mixing.jpg

6a refers to this simple chart for Djs! :0)

You're correct about G minor!

Cham answered the naming parts of your question.

As it relates to the chart and your question about chords, this is a chart of keys (with each major scale and its relative minor, e.g., in your key of G min and its relative major Bb major, chords are not called out per se) only the keys are laid out clockwise in circle of fifths.

I don't know what this Camelot System is about or why, for example, C maj is considered "8a." Perhaps this 'system' is about changing keys...and there are various ways of approaching that subject, including moving to keys based on common chords...but...

For you, in terms of your song, and if you want to stay within the key of G minor, it's best to learn what all the lower structure diatonic chords are first and foremost.

Gmin7 Amin7b5 Bbmaj7 Cmin7 Dmin7 Ebmaj7 F7 -- of course the roots here are also the notes of your scale.

This is sort of an simplification (and there are many variances, such as chord substitutions, progressions that emphasize the minor, etc.) but hopefully this little bit of info helps.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
ChamMusic wrote:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Gf5m8QF-GeM/U ... Mixing.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Gf5m8QF-GeM/UJmIb8DaaBI/AAAAAAAAAAk/dmBoZy1HuGk/s1600/camelotHarmonicMixing.jpg)

6a refers to this simple chart for Djs! :0)

You're correct about G minor!
Jonny Quest wrote:This is sort of an simplification (and there are many variances, such as chord substitutions, progressions that emphasize the minor, etc.) but hopefully this little bit of info helps.
^^^It certainly does.

Much thanks to both of you guys for your help.

Jonny Quest wrote:I don't know what this Camelot System is about or why
A system for clubbing DJs...a lot of DJ software uses this system...6a / 6b etc are shortcuts for 'dialing in' the chords!

NOTE: I'm keeping this very simple as I read as you used the word 'novice'! :0)

You said you wanted to know where to go next via the circle of fifths?

You should keep it simple to start with and look at the keys / chords that are directly linked to the key you're using...

On this system 6a is G minor...the linked Major key is 6b Bb Major...they go well together in a piece.

In simple terms, the chords / keys nearest to G minor on the chart are the ones closely related to it and the easiest to use together as they have similar key signatures...

G minor and Bb Major = 2 flats
C minor / E b Major = 3 flats
D minor / F Major = one flat

All those chords above are good starting points for experimenting...

In G minor, for example these would be viable chord sequences:

G minor / Eb Major / C minor / G minor

G minor / D minor / Eb major / F Major

G minor / F Major / Bb Major / D Major*

* 5th chord in a minor key - D in this case - can be used either minor (DFA) or Major (D F# A)

It gets a lot more complex than this...I've deliberately kept it at the basics! :0)

NOTE: there are some very good Circle of Fifths tutorials on YouTube if you want to go further.

Return to “Music Theory”