Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

awesome

k-bird wrote:
Ogg Vorbis wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:
k-bird wrote:every tracker user knows the C minor scale goes C D D# F G G# A# C. If you don't understand that, you don't understand my intended audience.
Well, maybe I don't understand your target audience, but this is a very dubious statement to give to a beginner. Technically of course it is wrong; C minor has an Eb in it, not a D#. I trust you will give this the necessary and suitable explanation?
Hey lay off, man. You are from the stodgy old world of academic rules and boring music with oboes and ghey-ass fruity flutes.

Trackers are for cool music that is more modern and relevant and speaks to the current age - not for old wrinkled ladies that can't handle dancing until 6 am.

The chick on the dancefloor who is going home with the DJ doesn't care if it's a C# or a Db. You take your correctly spelled scales and I'll take a shot of goose, a hit of X and the redhead with the pierced nipples.

Get on or get spit on!
Ye gods. I leave the thread for a second and the arguments begin. Figures.

So. Trackers spell all their accidentals in sharps. Or flats. One or the other. Key does not matter. D#? Eb? Same note. Who cares? As long as the music gets written and the pitches are correct.
I remember this turd, sadly brought back into the realm of the Partially Deceased.
Now you reveal your true colors. Who cares? People that really want to understand. But no, as I noticed and spoke to, you're pandering. Looking over this nested quotes as I'm about to post, I mistook 'every tracker knows...' as Ogg's sarcasm at first.
k-bird wrote: That is the attitude i'm writing for. Not the "you must write down B# when spelling Eaug triad" crowd, because given the appalling state of musicality in electronic dance music, there's no point in throwing up barriers to entry. Plenty of other books do that from the second they bury the good stuff in musical notation. Not mine.
That's precious.
k-bird wrote: That's my guide. The good bits. Not B#.

Hell, i didn't know about major seventh chords until i got to university and i'd been tracking for years beforehand. And there are sonorities i like even better than that now.

Also, just for the record, i've never taken ecstasy and my favourite composer is Debussy. If you weren't so busy ant-f**king about misspelt notes you'd have read the rest of the guide and seen me rave on about "Prelude to the afternoon of a faun" numerous times. There's oboes _and_ flutes in that.

Go write your own books how you like. Bet they're a smashing success with those winning personalities of yours.
Yeah, you're clearly a real prize yourself aren't you. :lol: WINNING.
You're this belligerent because people insist on a real spelling. One of the things that's good about understanding spelling is that you find out ways to expand from this key to another area through it. Knowing the symmetrical objects, augmented and diminished, scales' spelling in actual usage is mind-expanding. I have to say, your uni experience with this had to be really superficial or you were busy doing something else. Your grasp is just very sketchy.

It's just clearer as a visual {eg., we see that C minor has three flats. There we have the relation with Eb major.}. No, you're arguing now in favor of incoherency, a mess. And anti-knowledge: "Key does not matter." Jesus F Christ.

This is the opposite of excellent.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

double post

Key does not matter :dog: :roll:

Good grief...it certainly does matter. I need to know what key if I am to sing right on the button.

Wow. Great jumping Christ on a crutch...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Vick wrote:
piscione wrote: Probably "flat". The third, sixth and seventh notes in a particular minor scale is flat or a semitone down from the corresponding major scale. At least that would be my guess.
Randy
Thank you, Randy. I guess you're right. But what about harmonic minor? I thought it's preferable to use this scale for, you know, harmony :)
Harmonic minor in the common practice period really means that the particular harmony V, major quality, as a dominant is taken into account by a scale, nominatively. Rather than what is default, eg., A B C D E F G, the G# of the chord E major is shown.

However that row of tones, eg., A B C D E F G# occurs in other kinds of music in and of itself, like a mode. The character of F to G# for instance is enjoyed for its own sake.
People might call it 'A Harmonic Minor' still, outside of any harmonic implication. Or they might call it something else.

In terms of knowing the key, if you know what key, the flats you didn't know what to do with are not needed. You say 'A minor' and as a matter of course, the [roots of] III, VI and VII are flat vs an expectation of major. But once you know these things, you know at once from 'minor key' and 'III' what it is; 'A minor' and these roman numbers are sufficient. IE: in A minor, III is made from C [A B C, 1, 2, 3] and the major quality indicated by the capitalization tells you: C; major third = E; fifth = G.

so the 'b' sign is redundant but people typically feel it's better to be absolutely sure, rather than assume everyone has it.

Any chance of a re-upload of this awesome guide? I used to have a printed out copy a few years back but it ended up in a minor flood and smells a lot like my music used to be many years ago. Bad.

I found a PDF version online but it was a 2004 update, and unless my Google skills are just completely lacking today, I just can't seem to find any updated version.

Thanks in advance!

The Scribd link that is in the OP works, the version is dated from august 2012.

You can view and download at http://www.scribd.com/doc/5220863/Raven ... sic-Theory

From the author http://www.scribd.com/kbirdfromkvr

Yeah, I get that. But I'd like to actually download it without spending $10 or whatever at Scribd. It was always offered as a free .PDF as far back as I remember (2004 or so when he was still active in the Buzz scene - Sorry if you still are, K-Bird. Haven't been around much myself) , so I'm actually more or less simply asking if anyone could just upload it if they picked it up back in 2012. I don't know when or if K-Bird will log back in here. Its been a while since his last post. If it comes down to it, I'll just send him a message and hope for him to log in soon. I'm not even sure how to contact him these days otherwise.

Scribd will let you download a document for free if you contribute a document. Just contribute some nonsense and download the guide. Well, that used to be the case. You have to create a free account to find out.

I might as well just upload it since it's just sat there on my harddrive for people who can't be arsed to get it via scribd.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0v7yxkshezyufr/rsg-0.8.1.pdf

@Ralnir, good upload, thats been one of my references for a good while.
Music is the language of the soul.

The best music comes from the heart of the performer or composer.

Thank you, Ralnir for the download,

Ralnir wrote:I might as well just upload it since it's just sat there on my harddrive for people who can't be arsed to get it via scribd.

I downloaded and tried to open it, but get the message it's not a pdf file.

Musical Gym wrote:
Ralnir wrote:I might as well just upload it since it's just sat there on my harddrive for people who can't be arsed to get it via scribd.

I downloaded and tried to open it, but get the message it's not a pdf file.
Strange, I downloaded it and could open it without a problem.

Return to “Music Theory”