The guide formerly known as Ravenspiral Guide

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
manducator wrote:Ghettosynth and jancivil, can you two get a room please? :hihi:

Yeah, manducators getting aroused and wants to watch :-o :-o :-o :-o

Talk about wierdo or what :shock: :shock: :shock:

Trakstar wrote:A professional pro :hihi:
Meaning...?
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

JumpingJackFlash wrote:
Meaning...?
A professional professional, :hihi: :wink:

Trakstar wrote:A professional professional, :hihi: :wink:
Ok, whatever. I don't have to justify myself to you.
I'll let jancivil argue on my behalf, he's much better at it than I am :wink:

Trakstar wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:
Meaning...?
A professional professional, :hihi: :wink:
Seems pretty clear to me.

JumpingJackFlash wrote:
Im having a laugh with you(winding up like everyone else does on here) so I cant wait till Jancivil gets here but it will have to wait for now as I have to go, tell him or her to get ready :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:, and tell them its all tricky-loops idea to start with to wind jancivil up :hihi: :hihi: :wink:

Trakstar wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:
Im having a laugh with you(winding up like everyone else does on here) so I cant wait till Jancivil gets here but it will have to wait for now as I have to go, tell him or her to get ready :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:, and tell them its all tricky-loops idea to start with to wind jancivil up :hihi: :hihi: :wink:

thats not fair, and after you said I was a gentleman :( , im off, you have really upset me now.

Trakstar wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:
That's not Tricky Loop's idea to wind up anyone. Tricky Loops isn't interested in a (jan)civil war... :wink:

If I would like to argue with Jancivil, I'd have to write 50 long posts a day - I haven't that amount of time, sorry... :P

Trakstar wrote:Yeah, manducators getting aroused and wants to watch :-o :-o :-o :-o

Damn, caught again... :hyper:

Thanks for the tutorial.
I'm learning as I read.
On page 10, starting at the minor scale, it says: "if it's a whole tone and a half up from the third, it is a minor scale". shouldn't it read: "if it's a whole tone and a half up from the root, it is a minor scale" ?
Thanks.

manducator wrote:
Trakstar wrote:Yeah, manducators getting aroused and wants to watch :-o :-o :-o :-o

Damn, caught again... :hyper:
:lol: :lol:

Ogg Vorbis wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:
k-bird wrote:every tracker user knows the C minor scale goes C D D# F G G# A# C. If you don't understand that, you don't understand my intended audience.
Well, maybe I don't understand your target audience, but this is a very dubious statement to give to a beginner. Technically of course it is wrong; C minor has an Eb in it, not a D#. I trust you will give this the necessary and suitable explanation?
Hey lay off, man. You are from the stodgy old world of academic rules and boring music with oboes and ghey-ass fruity flutes.

Trackers are for cool music that is more modern and relevant and speaks to the current age - not for old wrinkled ladies that can't handle dancing until 6 am.

The chick on the dancefloor who is going home with the DJ doesn't care if it's a C# or a Db. You take your correctly spelled scales and I'll take a shot of goose, a hit of X and the redhead with the pierced nipples.

Get on or get spit on!
Ye gods. I leave the thread for a second and the arguments begin. Figures.

So. Trackers spell all their accidentals in sharps. Or flats. One or the other. Key does not matter. D#? Eb? Same note. Who cares? As long as the music gets written and the pitches are correct.

That is the attitude i'm writing for. Not the "you must write down B# when spelling Eaug triad" crowd, because given the appalling state of musicality in electronic dance music, there's no point in throwing up barriers to entry. Plenty of other books do that from the second they bury the good stuff in musical notation. Not mine. I chose an informal approach of dragging interesting bits of information out of better books (while damaging it only slightly) in order to liberate knowledge from pedantic, argumentative theory snobs. People are interested in this stuff, but i don't feel like people like me who play by ear should have to grind through so much to get to the good parts.

That's my guide. The good bits. Not B#.

Hell, i didn't know about major seventh chords until i got to university and i'd been tracking for years beforehand. And there are sonorities i like even better than that now.

Also, just for the record, i've never taken ecstasy and my favourite composer is Debussy. If you weren't so busy ant-f**king about misspelt notes you'd have read the rest of the guide and seen me rave on about "Prelude to the afternoon of a faun" numerous times. There's oboes _and_ flutes in that.

Go write your own books how you like. Bet they're a smashing success with those winning personalities of yours.

k-bird wrote:given the appalling state of musicality in electronic dance music, there's no point in throwing up barriers to entry.
No offence, but perhaps the reason why there is such an "appalling state of musicality" is because people are being misled and taught incorrectly.
k-bird wrote:I chose an informal approach of dragging interesting bits of information out of better books (while damaging it only slightly) in order to liberate knowledge from pedantic, argumentative theory snobs.
Are you really "liberating" knowledge, or are you just changing established facts to suit yourself? - Changing the rules of the game to make it easier. You're not providing different information, you're providing misinformation, and that is irresponsible at best.

If you don't like music theory then that's fine; you're free to ignore it. But then you're not really a good person to be teaching it to others are you?

JumpingJackFlash wrote:
k-bird wrote:given the appalling state of musicality in electronic dance music, there's no point in throwing up barriers to entry.
No offence, but perhaps the reason why there is such an "appalling state of musicality" is because people are being misled and taught incorrectly.
I don't know if you remember this: music theory is intimidating as hell to the uninitiated. That's the basis i work from - taking away the intimidation factor by making a few convenient simplifications and omissions. It's barrier to entry that stopped me.

I don't follow a classical pedagogical approach and i acknowledge that freely throughout the text. It's playful and sarcastic, unashamedly biased and subjective. It's basically a big catalogue of stuff i found out that i think other people might find interesting, and i present that knowledge in a practical way that lets them play instead of bogging people down in more and more theory for the sake of correctness and structure and comprehensiveness.

There's room for more than one approach to music theory. Even bratty ones like mine.

Look, i don't see why i should have to defend my guide to you and i find it kind of hilarious that you're telling me i shouldn't even be trying to write a guide to music theory unless i'm going to be completely serious about it.

Return to “Music Theory”