How important is aftertouch with Synthmaster presets?

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My current Arturia MiniLabII controller doesn't have aftertouch in the keys.
A six-year old M-Audio Axiom Pro25 has come up secondhand for 75€.

Do most of the SynthMaster/SynthMasterOne presets utilise aftertouch?
Is aftertouch an important aspect of using synth VSTs these days?

Thanks.

I test on Arturia Keystep(it has aftertouch),Synthmaster One have many options of control and modulations via cc,just have to own such keyboard or pedal and programmer(or you it's easy) to add necessary functions,so you can see inside mod matrix which presets has cc control,i recently start to apply expression pedal as extra ,along with mod wheel and aftertouch,which will be useful for both composers and players.Cheers :)

Thanks for your reply.

So, displaying the mod matrix1 window and scrolling through a hundred presets, I can see that only 10% have Aftertouch included in their design. So should I assume, then, that having aftertouch in your hardware controller isn't very important or popular?

Most presets have mod wheel control(or all haven't check all),but adding aftertouch is super easy if you like to play a bit,sorry for bad sound from drivers,with this is quick video you can learn literally for 5 seconds how to add aftertouch if have such keyboard.Cheerz :)
https://streamable.com/2gh0x

Did you make that video especially for me? Thank you!

I'm asking about aftertouch because I have a fairly good controller (Arturia Minilab II) which I bought new, but I can buy a 'M-Audio Axiom Pro25' secondhand locally for 75€. The retail price for this six years ago was 200€ I think, so this is fair price.

I'd be buying the Axiom mostly for the aftertouch, although it would also be nice to have proper mod wheels and weighted keys too. I don't really like M-Audio gear in general though - I've had bad experiences with their audio interfaces, and I don't think their products are very high quality.

Video was for you and for all people interested of learning designer's stuff,not many videos explain easy way how to do it,glad if it helps to somebody :)
I am guitarist and don't use keyboard to write,but now program complex stuff and use it to check functionality,so can't say much about midi keyboard brands and models.
To me aftertouch is cosmetic extra, but for pianists could be important,it is useful players to know how to customize it :)
Kontakt instruments used by professional composers have all bunch of these cc controls and use them when write film music and other commercial production.
Synthmaster One can do same stuff very easy,layer three presets with modulation on right place and result is same,the only limitation is our imagination :)
Soon will be available some staccato and spiccato simulations of classic strings for sm1 to experiment with it :)
Cheerz :)

Hi there,
me as a keyboard orientated user, aftertouch gives me the possibility to controll sounds directly without using an extra hardware like the modwheel. My fingers are anyway on the keyboard, so using all direct controll options make the sounds less static and more usable in a creative and expressive way. As I allways had the wish to use polyohonic aftertouch, I recently bought a Keith Mc Millen K-Board Pro 4 and now investigate what and how control parameters with the x/y/z axis of each key (independently). I would also really apreciate presets which use polyphonic aftertouch.

Well, just before I went out to look at the Axiom Pro 25, I checked the M-Audio website for Win10 drivers, and...
nothing. No updates since 2012 when the device was released. I could try the Win7 drivers, but I'm not going to buy the controller on the slight chance that these old drivers will work.

This has increased my aversion to M-Audio gear. I wasn't keen on them before, and now I'm reminded why.
Thanks for your help though.

I would be surprised if even 20% of Synthmaster's presets took advantage of aftertouch. I've worked with a few preset designers, and I had to coax some to use more than just modwheel as a modulation source. :roll: I pushed for AT and at least the expression pedal in many cases, if only to make some of the presets a little more interesting--especially considering these devs were designing presets for Absynth and Zebra.

Of course, aftertouch is notoriously tricky to master as a player, and different synth keyboards respond to it differently. Add to that the short travel distance between the beginning of AT travel and the end and you usually end up with wildly unpredictable (or unusable) results if it's implemented poorly. But since most newer synths and controllers support it, and since it can add some expression to a sound if it's implemented properly, I think it's worth it.

As far as the Axiom Pro is concerned, you might want to check their forums to see if Win10 will accept the Win7 drivers--or if you even need any drivers. Most MIDI devices don't need drivers for basic MIDI implementation, but if the Axiom does, Win10 may accept the Win7 (or Win8 if there are any) drivers.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Thanks. I think that most EDM 'beatmakers' can't actually play the piano, and tend to sequence with the mouse, and controller sliders and buttons instead, although there are quite a few matrix controllers available with polyphonic aftertouch now. Whereas aftertouch in keyboards might be more interesting to actual players, who are a bit rarer.

Regarding the Axiom:
Axiom Pro is a class-compliant device that offers basic functionality on Windows XP and Vista systems without having to install
additional drivers. You can simply connect Axiom Pro to your computer, switch on the computer and the controller, and be ready
to go.
However, M-Audio strongly recommends that Windows users install the Axiom Pro drivers from the included CD-ROM or
(if Internet access if available) the most recent drivers from the M-Audio website. These drivers add functionality and allow you to:
1. Use Axiom Pro with more than one application at the same time.
2. Use long system exclusive (SysEx) commands.
3. Simultaneously use other class-compliant USB devices with audio capabilities.
That sounds like it won't be multi-client, which would bug me a lot. I'm not going to take a chance of having a half-working device. Better to save up and get a modern interface with driver updates. I'm actually quite shocked that M-Audio did not bother developing Win10 drivers for so many of their controllers in the last three years. What a great way to alienate your customers and make them hate you.

Yes, same with my two M-Audio audio interfaces. No updates since years. Poor. 😕

I was thinking to start a topic about what are most desirable functions for piano players ,obviously polyphonic aftertouch is the comfortable thing for advanced players :)
Synthmaster 2 is better choice for such multi functionality,it has all kind of control and modulations.
Not many midi keyboads have Poly AT and the only control most home producers(as me)use actually is mod wheel.
Especially with Synthmaster One is absolute pleasure entire palette of sound modulations you can go through,so from producer point just no need anything else,i start to add cc11 as extra thinking what more useful can be done with the sound,but you make me realize that Poly AT is more interesting.
Thanks for clarifying this,it seems i need better midi keyboard already :)Cheerz :)

Need tester for upcoming 'NEXT GENERATION' soundset,somebody who actually play piano with poly AT keyboard.PM me here at kvr.Thanks.

Return to “KV331 Audio”