Synthmaster One: Master volume is per preset, and far too loud

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying not to wake my family and neighbours up.
In Synthmaster One standalone, everytime I switch preset, the master volume in 'One' is reset by each preset. In other words, the 'master volume' isn't really a master volume.

Plus the output of the presets is WAY louder than the input of my guitar (set by my audio interface gain to about about -18dB when tracking). I suspect that 'One' is outputting very close to 0dB, which is far too hot.

How can I make it so that the volume is very low whatever preset I load?

Thanks.

I agree. This is a general problem all round. There appears to be a loudness war now between Sound Designers. It would be very prudent and professional for developers who use many sound designers to get them to adhere to a set of loudness guidelines controlling the preset volume levels. There are some presets in SM that near blow my speakers out when I switch to them. I appreciate that pads may need to be soft and quieter than a hard lead. I am not saying everything should be at -12dB. I just think developers and sound designers need to think a bit about their levels. It makes for a much more pleasurable experience when one is not constantly reaching for the volume knob after every preset change.

I hate when they forget to level match presets, shows how some devs miss the details. 😒 Unpleasant working with that sort of unpredictable mess.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

Fair points, but I wasn't really referring to the volume difference between presets.

Unless I've missed a setting somewhere, I feel users could benefit from an additional independent gain knob, to control the overall output of the synth (one that didn't have its level saved in each preset, like the 'master volume' is).

Assuming most presets are in the same ballpark (close to 0dB), I could use that gain to attenuate the overall signal in the track of the DAW down to about -18dB (the same level as my analogue instruments and vocals), without having to adjust each preset individually. And my neighbours wouldn't hate me every time I switched preset.

Hi all,

We will check all of presets again and make this issue more stable in upcoming releases.

All the best
Gercek

That's very kind of you. But personally I think most of the presets are quite evenly levelled - they are all more-or-less aiming to be just under 0dB. The problem is that Synthmaster doesn't have an overall output gain for 'gain staging' purposes; the 'master volume' is a 'preset volume', not a master output gain.

However, I solved the problem using Reaper's plugin-wrapper's wet/dry setting. If I set it to 5% wet, it attenuates the signal to the level I need in the track. My point is though, that it shouldn't be left up to the receiving software to attenuate Synthmaster's output, because some software does not have input gain.

Return to “KV331 Audio”