Synthmaster 2.9 and Synthmaster One Comparison

Official support for: kv331audio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just tried sm1 finally. It sounds amazing. Are the wavetables different? If i recall we are still stuck with the 16-waveforms type in sm2?
It seems really bizzare to me that sm2 hasnt been properly updated in ages. Was one of my staples but i cant use it anymore. Preset system sucks, always having UI problems (it wont switch sizes when i ask, same with skins)
Shame cos i freaking love this synth so hard. USing sm1, it reminded me of why i love sm2 so much.

Dont really know what to do. I didnt really wanna buy sm1 - o have sooo many synths and really i just wanted sm2 to get modernised a bit. But if that isnt happening, ill probably just get sm1.
I do really like the quick workflow and nice layout / gui. And to me i swear it sounds better (could be wavetables)

Cheers all!

DavidCarlyon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:58 pm If i recall we are still stuck with the 16-waveforms type in sm2?
It seems really bizzare to me that sm2 hasnt been properly updated in ages. Was one of my staples but i cant use it anymore. Preset system sucks, always having UI problems (it wont switch sizes when i ask, same with skins)
Shame cos i freaking love this synth so hard. USing sm1, it reminded me of why i love sm2 so much.

Take a look at SM 2.9.6 for wavetables. The KV331 Audio soundset "Big Tone Tableworks" makes good use of the wavetable feature.
KV331 Audio has updated their all-around software synthesizer SynthMaster to version 2.9 with new wavetable features, new factory presets, in-app-store, internationalization support and critical fixes.

This update brings the following new features to SynthMaster:

Wavetable synthesis: SynthMaster now supports wavetables with up to 256 waveforms. Users can easily import wavetables by dragging and dropping files/folders on to the wavetable display. The wavetable display can show wavetables in 4 different ways: 2D Waveform, 2D Spectrum, 3D Waveform and 3D Spectrum. The factory waveforms and wavetables in SynthMaster One are also included in SynthMaster 2.9.
https://www.kvraudio.com/news/kv331-aud ... port-39732
Windows 10 and too many plugins

When is SM3 coming out?
DoomTune.com

mevla wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 pm One thing for sure is that Synthmaster One did not use the same UI platform. I see it here under windows VST emulation in Linux as the One UI flickers at each movement of the mouse whereas Synthmaster2 UI is stable as it can be.
They actually do use the same UI framework, based on VSTGUI 3.6
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

ubailey wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:46 pm When is SM3 coming out?
Will take a while, since I am swamped with multiple projects :(
Works at KV331 Audio

DavidCarlyon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:58 pm It seems really bizzare to me that sm2 hasnt been properly updated in ages. Was one of my staples but i cant use it anymore. Preset system sucks, always having UI problems (it wont switch sizes when i ask, same with skins)
Hi David

Thanks for your feedback! Regarding the preset system, what would you like to see improved ?

Thanks!
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:52 pm
ubailey wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:46 pm When is SM3 coming out?
Will take a while, since I am swamped with multiple projects :(
Which projects are those?!? :wheee:

Are any of the presets in Synthmaster One the same as those in Synthmaster 2? I assume not, but would like to be sure.

bharris22 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 pm Are any of the presets in Synthmaster One the same as those in Synthmaster 2? I assume not, but would like to be sure.
There can be similar ones, as the same sound designers did the sounds for both synths.
Works at KV331 Audio

bharris22 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 pm Are any of the presets in Synthmaster One the same as those in Synthmaster 2? I assume not, but would like to be sure.
I think SM One might have some similar sounds, but none have jumped right out at me. I think it sounds unique and different.

For example, the full wavetable oscillators and zero delay feedback filters in SM One were not available in SM 2 until around version 2.8, so all of the factory presets in SM 2, and most of the expansions,were designed before the oscillators and filters got that upgrade, using the old design.

To hear some SM 2 presets using the full wavetable features, try the BigTone expansion "BigTone Tableworks01". Also the "BigTone Analog Basics" and "BigTone Analog Basics02" show off the ZDF filters.

Also, SM One is a single layer synth, vs. two layers in SM 2. But in spite of that, SM One still sounds really f'n good.

I think that the sound designers really demonstrated the capabilities of the new oscillators and filters well in the SM One presets. I find it impossible to audition the presets in there without stumbling on many inspiring sounds. Don't forget to check the mod wheel and other controllers for many expressive modulations in some presets!

I look forward to SM v3 and bringing all these presets together!

Thank you!

kv331 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 pm SynthMaster is currently a 2 layer synth with more advanced oscillators + modulation sources. but hopefuly with v3.0, it'll have up to 16 layers. it's gonna have a "flexible" architecture where you can add modulation sources, layers, effects, etc. This is something both SynthMaster 1 and 2 are lacking :) oh, it'll have a wavetable editor + granular synthesis as well!
Post from 2017. Is there any progress here? I'm really looking forward to SM3, if it will have the same low cpu usage and so many options, it will be super.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

Probably a stupid question but if I buy the expansion packs will they work in SM1? I looked on the SynthMaster website in the FAQ etc and it didn't seem to say. I'm guessing they probably aren't compatible but if not it might be useful on the expansion page to say "not compatible with SM1"?

sheepish wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:43 pm Probably a stupid question but if I buy the expansion packs will they work in SM1? I looked on the SynthMaster website in the FAQ etc and it didn't seem to say. I'm guessing they probably aren't compatible but if not it might be useful on the expansion page to say "not compatible with SM1"?
Nope. SM One and SM 2 share some common tech, but the synths have different architectures, so the patches are not compatible.

Bulent has mentioned in the past that SM 3 will be able to load patches from both of the earlier synths.

sheepish wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:43 pm Probably a stupid question but if I buy the expansion packs will they work in SM1? I looked on the SynthMaster website in the FAQ etc and it didn't seem to say. I'm guessing they probably aren't compatible but if not it might be useful on the expansion page to say "not compatible with SM1"?
Hi,

You can not use our expansions with SynthMaster One. They are compatible with SynthMaster 2.9 and SynthMaster Player. Actually this is explaining in our expansion's page but we will be more clear about this. Thank you so much.

All the best
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “KV331 Audio”