MIDI learn - Synthmaster

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have "big" problem with MIDI mapping (learn option) Synthmaster with Oxygen 25 MKIV . Is there any manual guide which covers more than in official guide ?

I can map knobs (8 default ones) to my keyboard but when i turn knobs 1,2 out of 3 times synthmaster randomly changes/jumping thru presets, same happens when i touch pitch bend.
Must admit i tried to map pitch bend for browsing presets up and down for testing purposes (but i right click and removed link ). Tried to uninstall and install synthmaster (no change). Tried different skins, no change.

On the other hand synthmaster player doesn't act like that, it works like it should. I compared player vs. real thing config but they are identical. Is there some reset all midi learned codes or config file where i could manually setup midi controls or at least copy synthmaster player midi control config ? So for now, im on player until i sort this up. Any help, clue would be nice :) . I want to twist knobs :cry: .

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i can remember, midi mapping in Synthmaster works per patch. So, basically, when you switch presets, the midi mapping is gone, or changed to the one saved in the preset. That might explain the weird stuff you're facing.

Tbh, i never understood why to make midi mapping work per patch, if that's the case. It's silly, because you'd have to re-do it for every patch you make. Midi mapping should ALWAYS be global.

When you right-click on a control, you have the option to MIDI Learn for either the current patch or Global. I can see some cases where per patch can be useful. You could have one or two knobs/sliders be controlling 'the special' items for a patch. I figure most people assign the easy knobs and XY pads, which is what I have done.

As to the original issue, I am using the Oxygen 49 and what I run into is my first slider throws out random data now so I had to unassign it. But no other issues with the Oxygen. Now, with my Yamaha MOXF6, I get a problem where hitting certain keys will trigger the XY pads to move. I haven't fully diagnosed it, but I can't figure out why that would happen.

One thing I noticed is you can assign the same control to multiple items. Also chk071 makes a good point regarding individual MIDI mappings per patch. But it sounds like both files look the same between Player and Full so it seems like everything is set correctly.

When you right click on first knob there is option Remove Midi link with CCxx but it doesn't offer to remove it global or for current preset. When you right click knob after removing you have option Midi learn (Current preset) and (Global).

@iPlogger : thx for clue, will try to monitor midi from my keyboard if its throwing some additional codes while i turn knobs. But than again with synthmaster player it works ok.

Anyway would be nice if i could check all currently/default mapped controls at one place , at least something like MIDI mapping feature in Ableton Live.

iPlogger
iPlogger wrote: As to the original issue, I am using the Oxygen 49 and what I run into is my first slider throws out random data now so I had to unassign it. But no other issues with the Oxygen. Now, with my Yamaha MOXF6, I get a problem where hitting certain keys will trigger the XY pads to move. I haven't fully diagnosed it, but I can't figure out why that would happen.
@iPlogger. Are you still using the Oxygen 49 with Synthmaster. I'm learning to work with both and find it hard to understand the Englisch manual since I'm Dutch.

I have manually assign some knobs to the Oxygen and saved them under P10.
The main thing I want to do is scrool up and down in the browser view of Synthmaster. I have renamed my favourite presets with numbers (e.g. 001 string, 002 synth, ets). While playing live I don't want to us the arrow keys on the laptop but 2 buttons on the Oxygen.
I'm not using Synthmaster in Player-view.
Hope you'll help me.

Hi Miracles. Yes, you can use the Oxygen 49 to scroll up and down through the browser. I double-checked this last night to be sure I had it right.

I followed the steps on Page 21 of the manual with heading "Setting Trigger Values for the Buttons or the Sustain Pedal".

1) Select a button first
2) Press Advanced->Control Assign key -> Type 146 -> Enter key
3) Press Advanced -> Data 1 key -> Type MIDI CC Number (I used 86) -> Hit Enter key
4) Press Advanced -> Data 2 key -> Type 0 -> Hit Enter key
5) Press Advanced -> Data 3 key -> Type 127 -> Hit Enter key
6) Follow steps 2 through 5 but use a different MIDI CC (I used 87).
7) Now your buttons are ready to be programmed to browse through Synthmaster's browser.
8) In Synthmaster, switch to the Browser view. This is where you see different genres, musical styles and a list of sounds on the right.
9) Right click on the panel containing the list of sounds and select to MIDI Learn Previous. Hit the button you programmed as 86.
10) Right click again and select to MIDI Learn next. Hit the button you programmed as 87.
11) Now the buttons should scroll up and down through the list.

That's how I did it. It's possible you might be able to scroll outside of the browser view, or MIDI learn the tiny little left/right scrolling buttons. I am unable to get a program change to effect Synthmaster which would be really nice to hit a button and have it jump to the selected sound.

Hi iPlogger,

You're the best!! :tu: :tu:
It works and now I can browse up and down trough the presets.
I'm so grateful.

so far my biggest problem is solved.

May I ask the next questions?
How can I make the buttons C27 - C32 on the Oxygen to work?
Is C27 ment to repaet a played part?

i tried to use the manual, "Assigning MMC Control to Buttons".

That's great. Glad you got it working. I don't use the transport buttons so not sure how those work. Page 11 of the manual explains them, but as you mentioned, the page about MMC control may help in making your own assignments. I think C27 is meant to turn lopping on/off, but I don't see any reference to a looping value on the page describing MMC values. You may need to use the MIDI learn function in your DAW to assign the buttons.

Can't remove this post.
Last edited by Miracles on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi iPlogger
Here I am again.
I just bought an M-audio Oxygen 61 MKIV. I have tried to use the same instructions that worked for the older Oxygen 49. Unfortunately it didn't werk. Well it almost did. With the previous instructions I now have to press the button twice and then the next or previous preset would be set. Is there something that needs to be adjusted in the instructions?

Forget the first post, please read the second one on Wed Feb 20.

I found an articlein the instructions but that did't do the trick. But it pointed me in a direction and so I came to these steps which worked for me.

Use buttons to move presets up or down from browser view in Synthmaster with the M-audio Oxygen 61 MKIV

1. Press the EDIT button
2. Press the SELECT button
3. Press the button you want to use to control
4. Press Control Assign key -> Type 86
5. Press Data 2 key -> Type 0
6. Press Data 3 key -> Type 127 -> Hit Enter key

7. Press the EDIT button
8. Press the SELECT button
9. Press the button you want to use to control
10. Press Control Assign key -> Type 87 or sustain pedal
11. Press Data 2 key -> Type 0
12. Press Data 3 key -> Type 127 -> Hit Enter key

Now your buttons are ready to be programmed to browse through Synthmaster's browser.

13. In Synthmaster, switch to the Browser view.
14. Right click on the panel the list of sounds and select to MIDI Learn Previous. Hit the button you programmed as 86.
15. Right click again and select to MIDI Learn next. Hit the button you programmed as 87 or sustain pedal.

Now the buttons should scroll up and down through the list.

Return to “KV331 Audio”