synthmaster cm problems

Official support for: kv331audio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have installed synthmaster cm 32 bit from the latest copy of computer music magazine (september 2013 edition). I'm using it in reaper version 4.32 on my vista 64 bit os. Perhaps every second or third time i try to open an instance of the synth on a track it crashes reaper. When it does load without crashing reaper the synth seems to behave just fine. Also, i'm finding release click (a click sound that ends a note abruptly when maximum polyphony is reached) to pretty much render this synth unplayable with any patches that have audible release of more than a second or so. Just play a 3 note chord with a patch that has a longish release repeatedly and you will start to hear very audible click sounds.

In Reaper 64bit on Windows 7 and it crashes every time for me. Can't use it at all.

Whatever you do, don't judge its performance by the CM demo. The original CM demo was very buggy and crashed my rock solid system. It was upgraded a bit to fix the main bugs, but there were still (and may still be) certain patches that are known to crash it.

I wound up buying the full version and love it. It runs flawlessly on my x64 setup.

If you really like it, consider an upgrade. I believe there's currently a 30% discount running, which makes the entry-level buy in very close to a no-brainer deal.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Sorry. Need to add that I'm running Cubase 7 x64. Before taking the plunge, check with dev support to see if Reaper has specific issues.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

thanks for the replies - very nice of kv331 to give away a version but very crash prone so uninstalled unfortunately.

@BERFAB - have you noticed any release click type issues with the full version?(like i described in the op)

do_androids_dream wrote:thanks for the replies - very nice of kv331 to give away a version but very crash prone so uninstalled unfortunately.

@BERFAB - have you noticed any release click type issues with the full version?(like i described in the op)
I had some issues with the CM version. Though different than yours.

With the latest version of Reaper, Win 7 x64, when I'd try to add SynthmasterCM, it would sometimes hang for a long time and then nothing would be added. Reaper would slow down, but not completely crash. I could usually reload the project and it would be fine.

Never had any problem with the full version. Same computer, same DAW.

I just suspected the CM version hadn't been tested as much etc.

TEST: Just tried it 10 times on my new desktop. No hanging any more. Still Win 7 x 64 same audio interface, same Reaper version. I don't know, seems somehow computer specific. I can't fathom why.

Frankly, I'm surprised you are not having crazy problems with Vista. Everyone I know (granted that's just 5 or 6 people outside of forums) went to Win 7 or lol back to XP for music production.

Is there a newer version than 1.0.4.7 ?

I have the problem that the pitch bend wheel is not working as expected.

Unfortunately, SM CM is buggy and unmaintained. It's unlikely there will be bug fixes in the future. Same for Vielklang CM, a great piece of software but way too buggy to be usable.

BERFAB wrote:Whatever you do, don't judge its performance by the CM demo. The original CM demo was very buggy and crashed my rock solid system. It was upgraded a bit to fix the main bugs, but there were still (and may still be) certain patches that are known to crash it.

I wound up buying the full version and love it. It runs flawlessly on my x64 setup.

If you really like it, consider an upgrade. I believe there's currently a 30% discount running, which makes the entry-level buy in very close to a no-brainer deal.

Cheers
-B
First of all,SynthmasterCM is NOT a demo...but a scaled down,fully functional version that is a Computer Music magazine exclusive.To put a finer point on it,anyone who pays for an issue of CM to obtain SynthmasterCM,is in essence...buying a paid version.
Since this VST is funded by Computer Music Magazine and kv331audio is being paid for their product,there should be support for this VST...but there isn't.
It's 2018 and still,this VST is a f**king disasterpiece,as kv331audio has not lifted a finger to resolve this problem.
That said,why in the bloody hell,would anyone feel comfortable buying the flagship version,if they won't provide any support for a different version of Synthmaster.
I sure as f**k,will not give kv331audio my business,just on general prinicple.

I agree that they should remove it from the CM suite. It's buggy as hell and since it's not going to be updated there's no point in continuing to distribute it. I guess they don't have a contract with devs to maintain their CM plugins, but it seems like it makes good sense to do so anyways since it's effectively an advertisement for the full product. I bought Thorn recently because I was so impressed with the CM version, but I think if I tried Synthmaster CM it would actually destroy any interest I had in the full thing. I do still like SM2, although even in its current form it's got some longstanding bugs and new ones seem to crop up with every release.

Ultimately it's a demo for the real version, and probably, given the low selling point, enough encouragement to get the full synth.
There are plenty of positive comments and recommendations from owners, happy with the full version, to overcome a few bugs in the free, demo version which is given for nothing.

I would just assume that ALL mag-ware was abandonware after 5 years of no maintenance. Thus greatly lowered expectations. This is a 5 year old thread, btw. :o

Its intended use is for marketing with a slimmed down version of a full product. Not the fault of the developers, as the software was originally supplied as-is. You want bug fixes, buy a current version and support the developers!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:I would just assume that ALL mag-ware was abandonware after 5 years of no maintenance. Thus greatly lowered expectations. This is a 5 year old thread, btw. :o

Its intended use is for marketing with a slimmed down version of a full product. Not the fault of the developers, as the software was originally supplied as-is. You want bug fixes, buy a current version and support the developers!
True. Even though most other CM magware is in usable state. Synthmaster CM never was. The Beat version neither, BTW.

chk071 wrote:Its intended use is for marketing with a slimmed down version of a full product. Not the fault of the developers, as the software was originally supplied as-is. You want bug fixes, buy a current version and support the developers!
Well, I supported the developer by getting the full deals.
But honestly I find these full versions are developed in bursts: the dev focus lasts some weeks, then there's a new release with several issues to be addresses, rapid point releases fix something but don't fix something else, especially older reported bugs, and then it's silence again for months.

So, the CM versions, and what happens to them when issues are reported, for me are a great mirror of what you can expect in their full version counterparts, dev-attitude wise...

- Mario

Howcome magware is never maintained?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “KV331 Audio”