Sylenth1 v3.050 Beta

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

invisiblesun wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:57 pm Hi all,
Just installed the 3.053 update. Works fine, but where do I find the new oversampling options?

Cheers MW
This feature isn't accessible by the plugin GUI itself, but you can do this:
1. Press the [Menu] on the Sylenth1 GUI
2. Choose the [Open Data Folder]
3. A folder window will pop up now, Open (Config) folder
4. That file (Settings.xml), drag & drop it on Notepad, and edit the following line:
[<Oversampling realtime="2" render="8"/>]

Those numbers, defines how many oversampling processes take place to give smooth and clean sound.

Ok, I’ll have a look at that. Thanks!

Exactly. Possible values are 1,2,4, 8 and 16 (it'll just snap any other value to those). Note that Sylenth1 already oversamples several parts internally at 2 or 4x oversampling, so if you set it to 16, it will oversample those parts up to 64x internally. Recommended settings for realtime is 1 or 2, and for render mode 4 to 16.

I tried 4x Realtime and man it sounds good but Sylenth starts to get CPU hungry (which is of course to be expected). I've never had a problem with Sylenth's sound but the oversampling can bring a bit of sugar on top.

I think I'll use 2x realtime. Is there any reason not to use 16x for Render ? I suppose it could change the sound in undesirable ways on some patches.

Come to think of it how would we know how a patch would sound at 16x ? I might try running 16x for a minute on my studio computer just to see what happens. If it's 4 times the cpu of the 4x mode then I might be living on the edge. Not sure if that's the way the math works or not.

Here's the patch I was using for testing. I kind of designed it to be somewhat cpu demanding and to test the oversampling options.
SY Grand Delusion Tek.zip
Anyway thanks for this great free update ! :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:58 pmI think I'll use 2x realtime. Is there any reason not to use 16x for Render ? I suppose it could change the sound in undesirable ways on some patches.
At higher oversampling it will sound slightly different indeed (for the better usually though). And of course it will take longer to render. Either 8 or 16 would be a good value in my opinion.
Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:58 pmCome to think of it how would we know how a patch would sound at 16x ?
Just render it ;)

Lennard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:36 pm Just render it ;)
Yes I guess that's one way. Render it and see if it sounds better but being able to play the patch at 16x with full chords etc before you render allows you to know if you want to render at 16.

Most patches should sound better but I can already hear someone say that oversampling takes away "character"...... :?

Anyway I'm going in now to see if playing at 16x realtime is practical. If it is then problem solved. I've got an i7 8700k so hopefully it can most handle anything.

On a side note would it be possible to have a per-patch oversampling option ? That way patches that can benefit from OS can use it and patches where OS doesn't make much difference can be set lower to save cpu. That would also make sharing patches easier because if I program a patch at 1x and someone else is running 4x full time then there will be a difference in sound and cpu. Enough to make a difference ? I guess it depends on the patch and the system specs.

Ok I'm off to have a nice play with Sylenth 1........... :wheee:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:38 pm On a side note would it be possible to have a per-patch oversampling option ? That way patches that can benefit from OS can use it and patches where OS doesn't make much difference can be set lower to save cpu. That would also make sharing patches easier because if I program a patch at 1x and someone else is running 4x full time then there will be a difference in sound and cpu. Enough to make a difference ? I guess it depends on the patch and the system specs
Technically that would be possible, however Sylenth1 would need to close and re-initialize the entire plugin for each preset, as at different oversampling rates it will use different buffers and internal values. That would make browsing through presets a LOT slower. Personally I don't think that'd be worth it.

Sylenth1 will most likely have the option to change oversampling settings on each instance individually though in a future update, so then you can still set a higher rate for a certain sound and save that in the project so it will always sound the same whenever you load the project.

Thank you for the update, Lennard. :)

I am personally not too interested in saving oversampling settings per patch. But I would like to have that setting in the options of the GUI (via menu), rather than editing a text file, saving it, re-initializing Sylenth, testing, closing, opening the text file again, editing, saving.... It is not the end of the world but the fewer clicks the better.

Lennard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:06 pm Technically that would be possible, however Sylenth1 would need to close and re-initialize the entire plugin for each preset, as at different oversampling rates it will use different buffers and internal values. That would make browsing through presets a LOT slower. Personally I don't think that'd be worth it.
Ok fair enough. I'm just thinking of when patches are shared at different Oversampling Values.

That's good news about settings per instance though. No sense running a bass patch at 4x for example, a lead you might try running at 8x.

I don't think once we find the right numbers for our needs we'll be changing them too much so I don't mind the current way of changing the setting in the config file.

I did try running the patch above at 16x real time and it ate up my i7 8700k like it was a Pentium 2. :hihi:

So the only way to know how a patch will sound at 16x is to as you say render it first then listen. Might lead to a lot of deleting or overwriting of files if you find the results unsatisfactory but it is what it is..... :)

I discovered now, by looking for the oversampling settings, that we can select cutoff frequencies to be displayed in Hertz through the settings xml file. Nice hidden feature :)

Beautiful update Lennard. Thank you.

I had this occur at the end of the setup though:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Strange, what version and build of Windows are you using exactly? Does Sylenth1 work though? The installer only uses certutil to install the standard Comodo Root certificate needed to verify the digital signature, which is already available on computers with internet connection, but may not be there on offline computers.

Improved oscillators and filter sounds awesome! Time to finally sell my Virus Ti. :) Thank you Lennard :clap:

Lennard, will the oversampling be configured via the Main Menu in a future version of Sylenth1?

Lennard wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:40 am Strange, what version and build of Windows are you using exactly? Does Sylenth1 work though? The installer only uses certutil to install the standard Comodo Root certificate needed to verify the digital signature, which is already available on computers with internet connection, but may not be there on offline computers.
XP SP3 with Internet connection.
S1 though works beautifully.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Return to “LennarDigital”