What's that rumble?

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just tried the half dozen or so sampling rates my DAW offers, it seems there is such noise with all of them, just on different octaves, sometimes it is only 2 or 3 notes per octave.

Two months later, any progress on the aliasing bug fix? :wink:

Well, the bug actually got me diving in the oscillator code and while at it I came up with a new algorithm, which will improve high frequency content, reduce aliasing and other artifacts at all frequencies and sample rates AND will consume even less CPU at the same time! While implementing that I ran into some new problems (of course), but tackled those and now got a working alpha version. So, apologies for it taking longer than expected, but it is going to be very nice!

Good news, sounds like you are trying the quadrature of the circle (less aliasing with lower CPU load) :hihi:

Lennard wrote:Well, the bug actually got me diving in the oscillator code and while at it I came up with a new algorithm, which will improve high frequency content, reduce aliasing and other artifacts at all frequencies and sample rates AND will consume even less CPU at the same time! While implementing that I ran into some new problems (of course), but tackled those and now got a working alpha version. So, apologies for it taking longer than expected, but it is going to be very nice!
Cool! Great news. :party:

I suppose every registered user has the beta waiting in their account.
Have been playing around with it for an hour, it seems to work fine. The aliasing is gone, even without any oversampling :) Yes, there is an oversampling option in the Settings file now, one can set a value of up to 16x for both real-time playing and rendering. Tried 16x just for fun, it overwhelmed my CPU when I played my custom-made stress patch :hihi:
But really, I don't hear any difference between 2x and 4x or 2x and 8x, only the CPU load increases a lot. I will leave it at 2x for playing and 8x for rendering.
It seems to me that the reverb benefits from oversampling, the metallic character is much reduced in my view. Or my ears have deteriorated a lot since I last used the built-in reverb :hihi:

What made you even look for a Beta ? I wouldn't have even thought to look.

Anyway it would be easier to A/B the different settings if there was a switch in GUI Menu. By the time I switch from 2 to 4 in the Settings file I forget what 2 sounded like.

I've never had a problem with Sylenth's sound so may just leave it at 1 but since it's so light on CPU bumping it to 4 shouldn't be a big deal.

Is there a Change Log for this Beta ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would not have looked either, but Lennard told me, probably because of this thread of mine :)

Yes, I actually close my DAW to make sure changes in the Settings file are applied. By the time I restart everything I don't remember fine details, either.
I would also have liked to compare the old to the new version 1 on 1 to see if there are any changes beyond the removal of aliasing.

As I said I think that for instance the reverb sounds better now, but I am not sure...

If there was a per-instance Oversampling switch on the GUI we could load 2 or more instances then A/B them rather quickly. Even then the difference may not be that great and we might end up back with the old default setting.

I've always liked Sylenth's core sound so either way there is no downside to the new Oversampling feature for me.

Per-patch Oversampling would be even better since you might want more for leads and get away with less for bass sounds etc. Perhaps that's coming further down the Beta road......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I suppose per patch or per instance is not possible for technical reasons.
Maybe it is like with other plugins that share resources so the CPU and memory load does not increase in a linear way as add you more and more instances. So if you change os in one instance it might apply to all, who knows...
Are there any plugins where you can change the oversampling in an instance just like that, on the fly so to speak? Or even save per patch?

Anyway, I am happy the way it is now, without audible aliasing with 2x os, a nice xmas gift from Lennard which I suppose meant much more effort than meets the ear :)

I don't have the CPU figures for the previous version, but according to the Reaper performance meter the latest version is very efficient. I have set OS to 2x, yet I hardly get beyond 2.5% per S1 track, even with fat chords of long-release pads, like 128 voices all in all, and effects turned on :)

Return to “LennarDigital”