Blip ending sound trails [fixed]

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

+1 for the rent to own model, I might re-buy Sylenth1 in that case, just because I want to support DSP geniuses.

I will also, again, toss out the idea of some sort of "proper" support for RM and/or FM. You can currently hack that kind of stuff into Sylenth1 patches, but it's a bit kludgey and really only functions "well" with monophonic patches.

I most emphatically do not think that Sylenth1 "needs" any features along these lines. I'm really just curious to see how Lennard would approach implementing them. I have a feeling he would produce something unique, refined, efficient, and, of course, excellent sounding.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Teksonik wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Fluffy, next time it happens can you capture an audio example and let us know exactly what patch you were using ? I haven't heard any blips but maybe I'm not using the right presets.......
Easier said than done because I don't know when it happens. I was playing around and comparing effects across different synths for maybe an hour and the blip happened only twice, and I have no idea under which circumstances.

I did notice that the blip sounds exactly like when you play sustained notes (for instance a low-cutoff pad) and the demo voice announcement chimes in. Both before and after the voice you will hear a slight on/off noise.
So perhaps it's only related to the Demo version ? At any rate when and if it happens again try to make an audio example so we know what we are listening for and note which patch you were using. The only way to rule it out as a system specific issue is to reproduce it on two or more systems. Knowing exaclty what the blip sounds like and what patch was used will help in reproducing the issue. :)
So I guess you were just making up crap about a synth demo too. Seems to be a lot of that going around. :roll:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Nope, I occasionally hear the blip, whether you can reproduce it or not is irrelevant to me. I know what I hear. And I have heard it with the full version as well when I still had it.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Nope, I occasionally hear the blip, whether you can reproduce it or not is irrelevant to me. I know what I hear. And I have heard it with the full version as well when I still had it.
It's not up to me to reproduce it. You have made a claim and can't back it up with audio evidence. If it's such a big deal that you felt the need to start a thread about it you should be motivated to provide evidence that your claim is real and not just another bashing job. I guess you don't want a "fix" for your Blip which as it is remains a system specific issue or user error. :roll:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No, I have not made a claim at all. I have described my observation, which is 100% correct of course. I have not said anything like, there is a bug in S1 that causes a blip.
To the contrary I have asked if anyone else has noticed something like that. It was not a rhetorical question.

And of course (being the nice person that I am since I don't have to back up a mere observation with evidence) I indeed have tried to find out how to reproduce it so that I can record it, but I have not found out so far.

Just another bashing job? What are you referring to? The keytracking thread? That is the only other gripe I have with S1, and I totally stick to my view on that.

Definitely no user error. System-specific issues I can indeed not rule out, and never have, which is why I asked if others have observed the same thing.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I have not said anything like, there is a bug in S1 that causes a blip.
Looking back at your first post, you did actually imply that there was a problem in Sylenth1 causing a blip (and also a keytracking problem):
fluffy_little_something wrote:Apart from the keytracking problem, I have noticed another oddity:
Anyone else noticed that blip?
fluffy_little_something wrote:I indeed have tried to find out how to reproduce it so that I can record it, but I have not found out so far.
Are you even sure this blip is coming from Sylenth1? What about your soundcard buffer and drivers?

Well, it certainly has to do with S1, else I would get the same blip from other synths as well, but I don't.
Again, I can't say there is something wrong with S1, maybe there is simply some sort of slight incompatibility with my setup. If I knew more about the technical side of plugins, audio drivers and devices, DAW's etc. I might have a clue as to the source of the blip.

As it happens only occasionally, it was not even a problem as such when I still had S1. I was just curious whether or not I was the only one...

Since nobody else seems to care, anyway, and I can't provide audio recordings, just forget the whole thing :wink:

fluffy_little_something wrote: If I knew more about the technical side of plugins, audio drivers and devices, DAW's etc. I might have a clue
I think you've hit the nail on the head there....... :wink:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Since nobody else seems to care, anyway, and I can't provide audio recordings, just forget the whole thing :wink:
I care which is why I offered to test any patches that cause the blip. The only way to rule out a system specific issue is to reproduce it on two or more systems. I have offered to try here but you have to provide at least some steps to reproduce it....an audio example of what we should be listening for, patches that cause the blip etc. If there is an issue with Sylenth 1 I want to know about it and help with a fix since I use it frequently but I can't reproduce the issue here and you won't help so...... :shrug:

It is a rather quiet blip, I hear it mostly on headphones because there every noise from my room and the street is blocked and I hear silence after I release the keys.
I will keep the demo on my computer for a while and should I find out how to reproduce it, I will post it here.

Regarding the sound of it, do this: load the init patch via Clear, turn on the LP filter without changing anything else, keep a low key pressed and with the other hand click an effect on and off repeatedly, for instance the compressor.

What version of Sylenth1 are you using exactly? (Click MENU -> About to get the exact version number).
Sylenth1 runs 32 voice polyphonic internally, to make absolutely sure there are no blips when voice stealing occurs, even when playing 16 voices at the same time.

Are you using ASIO drivers? What buffersize and samplerate are you running?

Yes, ASIO, 96kHz (can't reduce it to 44 or 48 as my Asus audio driver causes problems with those settings in Mulab :P ).
Dunno about buffer size, it doesn't show anywhere. Latency is set to 8ms on the ASIO panel, maybe that helps.

Although that should probably be fine (depending on your CPU, Windows/OSX version and soundcard drivers), you may want to get that driver problem fixed. Also you could try setting the latency a bit higher, just to make sure that's not causing the occasional blip.

Sure, my AMD CPU is certainly not ideal for a sampling rate of 96kHz, one reason I like my rompler, it uses very little CPU, while I have ample memory. But S1 is very efficient, I could run about half a dozen instances (depending on the patches of course) without problems. Latency has never been a problem, either.

Well, I will get rid of the Asus sound card and driver altogether when I build my new computer. I will get a basic Steinberg audio interface, which surely is way better for music applications.
Then I will see which issues were due to my computer and which weren't :)

I think I accidentally found out what it is:
When I have the phaser on, start to play, and turn the phaser off while still playing, I hear the blip when S1 ceases to produce sound. That can happen minutes after turning off the phaser if I keep playing for minutes without interruption. Maybe that's why I didn't get the connection...

Thanks, I've been able to replicate that! Will look into it and fix it with the next update.

Return to “LennarDigital”