Blip ending sound trails [fixed]

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's an odd analogy because, rewrite or not, S1 is basically the same as 8 years ago, whereas today's Cubase is a whole lot more advanced than it was 8 years ago, many new features etc.
And yes, I think S1 is overpriced, and I am certainly not the only one who thinks that way. Outside your very rare sales it is 170 euros for Europeans, i.e. it is among the most expensive synths out there, yet it doesn't offer anything outside subtractive, and still lacks some basic things such as dedicated PWM or osc sync. The modulation options are not really up-to-date anymore, either, compared to today's leading plugins. I personally don't care much about that, but others do, judging from many posts.
Since you mentioned Steinberg, look how they improved their Retrologue synth from v1 to v2, they doubled the price, yet it is still only 100 euros, VAT included.

Your accusation is flat wrong. Maybe you should leave your own sub-forum more often, then you would know that I have praised S1 a lot (for instance in the S1 vs Hive thread), to the point where people have considered me an LD fanboy.
And just a few days ago I wrote positive things about it:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p6623798

Maybe you get the wrong impression because I focus mainly on potential issues in your sub-forum, after all it seems to be your support forum, whereas my positive comments are mostly in the Instruments sub-forum.

fluffy, wagtunes,... some people on kvr have a very odd relationship with synthesizers. thats the most diplomatic way i can phrase it.

lennard, based on release notes for the latest version that ive seen posted on kvr, can i interpret "sample rate automation" to mean that the lfos can modulate the oscillator amplitude at audio rate, i.e. do ring modulation? you could also do this previously, but it would introduce artifacts that i presume owe to the lower rate of the lfo's.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:S1 is basically the same as 8 years ago
It’s actually very different under the surface. We did our best to keep the original Sylenth1 feel to it though (seems that did work ;)). The audio part may be basically the same, but user interface is completely new, fully sizable, skinnable, working a lot better and we’ve insured compatibility with the latest (and future) operating systems and DAWs. Also, we’ve never charged anything for any Sylenth1 update.

I think we just have different views on how a synth should be like. In my opinion a good synth doesn’t need a massive list of features. What really matters is how good is works, feels and and sounds. There are tons of synths out there that have lots of poorly implemented features, tons of knobs that make it really hard to understand and work with, cause CPU loads that clog up your computer and still sound dull and uninspiring..

As for the pricing, you’re entitled to your have your opinion. Personally I think it’s very reasonably priced in comparison with many others:

http://www.musictech.net/2016/07/12-bes ... -part-one/
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/the ... day-621799
fluffy_little_something wrote:Your accusation is flat wrong. Maybe you should leave your own sub-forum more often, then you would know that I have praised S1 a lot (for instance in the S1 vs Hive thread), to the point where people have considered me an LD fanboy.
I’ll take back that you’re only bashing Sylenth1. Good to hear you’re a fanboy :tu:
Still, you’ll have to admit remarks like "that reverb sounds horrible" don't really qualify as constructive criticism, or do they?

aumordia wrote:lennard, based on release notes for the latest version that ive seen posted on kvr, can i interpret "sample rate automation" to mean that the lfos can modulate the oscillator amplitude at audio rate, i.e. do ring modulation? you could also do this previously, but it would introduce artifacts that i presume owe to the lower rate of the lfo's.
The LFO's already do modulate at audio rate! Sample accurate automation means that the host automation is sample accurate (if the host supports it).

I agree, I don't need a massive list of features, either.
I have had Predator and Sylenth1 simultaneously for a while, and I hardly opened the former because it is full of features I don't need, while sounding inferior in my view (others might disagree on that).
Than again, I never understood why you have never added direct PWM, which seems to be a standard synth feature, nothing exotic or superfluous. I don't even miss it, but judging from lots of posts others do.

We continue to disagree on pricing. I think the price might also be why so many people are using hacked versions.

I ceased to be a S1 fanboy when I stumbled upon the keytracking thingy ;) But I still like its sound a lot :tu: More so than Hive's, Synthmaster's, Dune2's, etc. :tu:
Except for the reverb, which indeed sounds inferior to the rest of the effects (set the control to 100% wet and compare it to other quality synths). The chorus for instance sounds excellent with the right settings. That's why I am a bit surprised the reverb doesn't have the same quality. I assume that reverb is a science in itself and much more complex than all the other effects. Of course I can use an external reverb, but it is neat to save everything in one synth patch. But the S1 reverb is enough for merely giving a little body to sounds, especially when turning damp to max.

Anyway, back on topic, I had the blip twice yesterday, but it was not the reverb, actually I had all effects off except for the chorus (which of course doesn't mean it has to do with the chorus).
The patch was one of the half dozen Standard Pad patches from the patches I uploaded on your product page some time ago. Don't remember which one because the real patch name is never displayed :P

fluffy_little_something wrote: Since you mentioned Steinberg, look how they improved their Retrologue synth from v1 to v2, they doubled the price, yet it is still only 100 euros, VAT included.
Just for the record: Retrologue's sound didn't change at all, nada, from version 1 to version 2. All that has changed are the features, and it's pretty much a point of view whether that is worth double the price or not. It's a good synth, but Sylenth1, and newer synths wipe the floor with it, sound wise. That said, i'd also wished that Sylenth1 was cheaper, and, basically, that's mainly the issue why i haven't purchased it yet. I won't beg for anything here, but, as Lennard wrote he was open to constructive criticism, i hope that is something contructive. ;)

Fluffy, next time it happens can you capture an audio example and let us know exactly what patch you were using ? I haven't heard any blips but maybe I'm not using the right presets.......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fluffy_little_something wrote:That's why I am a bit surprised the reverb doesn't have the same quality. I assume that reverb is a science in itself and much more complex than all the other effects.
A good reverb is indeed hard to design, especially when you want to keep CPU consumption low. Having said that, it's still on the to-do list to have a go at it!
chk071 wrote:i'd also wished that Sylenth1 was cheaper
Duly noted. What do you think about a rent-to-own plan like Xfer offers on Splice?
Teksonik wrote:Fluffy, next time it happens can you capture an audio example and let us know exactly what patch you were using ? I haven't heard any blips but maybe I'm not using the right presets.......
That'd be useful indeed!

aumordia wrote: Sylenth1 is excellent, and a DSP marvel, especially given the sound-to-CPU ratio.
Damn right you are :love:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Lennard wrote: Duly noted. What do you think about a rent-to-own plan like Xfer offers on Splice?
Its the only renting policy that makes sense to me,

Teksonik wrote:Fluffy, next time it happens can you capture an audio example and let us know exactly what patch you were using ? I haven't heard any blips but maybe I'm not using the right presets.......
Easier said than done because I don't know when it happens. I was playing around and comparing effects across different synths for maybe an hour and the blip happened only twice, and I have no idea under which circumstances.

I did notice that the blip sounds exactly like when you play sustained notes (for instance a low-cutoff pad) and the demo voice announcement chimes in. Both before and after the voice you will hear a slight on/off noise.

Regarding the price, an alternative might be a light version with only one layer, for, say, 79 or 89 Euros :)
Sylenthio :hihi:
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nielzie wrote:
aumordia wrote: Sylenth1 is excellent, and a DSP marvel, especially given the sound-to-CPU ratio.
Damn right you are :love:
Yep, it seems like made for my AMD processor :)

Lennard wrote:
chk071 wrote:i'd also wished that Sylenth1 was cheaper
Duly noted. What do you think about a rent-to-own plan like Xfer offers on Splice?
I think that it is a great system in general, so, yeah, would be nice. :) It wouldn't change the price tag though. As i wrote, not gonna beg, or try to force anything, it's just that, considering the competition, Sylenth1 with the feature set it has, is quite on the expensive side. I do get that it sounds nice, but, so do other plugins, which have a lot more features. Your call of course, just my opinion.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Easier said than done because I don't know when it happens. I was playing around and comparing effects across different synths for maybe an hour and the blip happened only twice, and I have no idea under which circumstances.

I did notice that the blip sounds exactly like when you play sustained notes (for instance a low-cutoff pad) and the demo voice announcement chimes in. Both before and after the voice you will hear a slight on/off noise.
So perhaps it's only related to the Demo version ? At any rate when and if it happens again try to make an audio example so we know what we are listening for and note which patch you were using. The only way to rule it out as a system specific issue is to reproduce it on two or more systems. Knowing exaclty what the blip sounds like and what patch was used will help in reproducing the issue. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “LennarDigital”